Firework Sales In New York

The local Walmart is selling fireworks, for the first time this year. From what I have read, the governer signed a fireworks bill rather quickly into law. The bill leaves each county decide whether to allow or opted out. Restrictions such as ground fireworks only, was passed in Niagara. Prior to New Years Day and the 4th of July are the only times when they can b e purchases legally and used.

From past years experience, may illegal fireworks are shot off throughout this county around 4th of July. I personally don't like the idea for safety issues. What has your county decided? Are you for or against it?

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

around here there's a company called Alonzo fireworks that's does aerial displays for municipalities often enough throughout the year.  they're big, loud, and awesome.  to buy fireworks yourself is crazy expensive for even the less spectacular ones.  I think it's not a bad idea to allow the little less serious stuff so people have access for smaller parties.  don't think anyone needs to be setting off mortars with a beer in the other hand for a birthday though.

Our county decreed the sale of fireworks (defined as sparklers, bottle rockets, fountains, the little stuff) legal up to 30 days before the 4th. 

That being the case, I've been hearing them every night all over our neighborhood.  We've also had two structure fires as a result. 

Our county decreed the sale of fireworks (defined as sparklers, bottle rockets, fountains, the little stuff) legal up to 30 days before the 4th. 

That being the case, I've been hearing them every night all over our neighborhood.  We've also had two structure fires as a result. 

Bottle rockets?   Rockets are still illegal.

A recent change in New York State Penal Law now allows for the sale and use of a specific category of consumer fireworks known as Sparkling Devices.

Sparkling Devices are ground based or handheld devices that produce a shower of colored sparks and or a colored flame, audible crackling or whistling noise and smoke. The law limits the type, size and construction of Sparkling Devices and requires that these devices must be hand held or mounted on a base or spike...

http://www.dhses.ny.gov/ofpc/news/sparklingdevices.cfm

Bottle rockets?   Rockets are still illegal.

A recent change in New York State Penal Law now allows for the sale and use of a specific category of consumer fireworks known as Sparkling Devices.

Sparkling Devices are ground based or handheld devices that produce a shower of colored sparks and or a colored flame, audible crackling or whistling noise and smoke. The law limits the type, size and construction of Sparkling Devices and requires that these devices must be hand held or mounted on a base or spike...

http://www.dhses.ny.gov/ofpc/news/sparklingdevices.cfm

Fair enough.  You sure wouldn't know it from the sounds of things.

I'm all for FULL legalization of ALL 1.4g consumer fireworks! Fireworks are regulated by the CPSC as to how much pyrotechnic composition is allowed in consumer fireworks. The ones you see at show are not consumer fireworks they are professional 1.3g class. Anyone who drives, uses a barbecue grill, shoots firearms or rides an atv is capable of safely using fireworks. Fireworks are the ONLY product that as usage has increased accidents have DECREASED. It's a fact. That being said there's always a learning curve and a spike in incidents but it will level off.

• Like 3

I'm all for FULL legalization of ALL 1.4g consumer fireworks! Fireworks are regulated by the CPSC as to how much pyrotechnic composition is allowed in consumer fireworks. The ones you see at show are not consumer fireworks they are professional 1.3g class. Anyone who drives, uses a barbecue grill, shoots firearms or rides an atv is capable of safely using fireworks. Fireworks are the ONLY product that as usage has increased accidents have DECREASED. It's a fact. That being said there's always a learning curve and a spike in incidents but it will level off.

I agree. Make them legal.

I live in a community where it's not usual for someone to light off a star shell mortar at 10:30pm on a Thursday.   Big party atmosphere, lots of summer rentals, 40 mins to Matamoras.   I've become quite good at differentiating between the various types of fireworks as well as the regular celebratory gunfire.

My wife is cringing on the couch and I'm like it's ok honey, that's just a Swashbuckler 72-shot, only about 40 more shots to go :) 

• Like 1

around here there's a company called Alonzo fireworks that's does aerial displays for municipalities often enough throughout the year.  they're big, loud, and awesome.  to buy fireworks yourself is crazy expensive for even the less spectacular ones.  I think it's not a bad idea to allow the little less serious stuff so people have access for smaller parties.  don't think anyone needs to be setting off mortars with a beer in the other hand for a birthday though.

Actually fireworks arent that expensive, and many of them are very nice. Maybe not as big as the ones the display companies use, but the average joe probably sholdnt play around with those. The consumer grade ones are dangerous enough if you dont use your head. For less than $500 you can have enough to set off from dusk until long after midnight, with some pretty good stuff mixed in there, not just bottle rockets and roman candles.

I have no issues with fireworks, I have a ton of experience with them. I used to put together pretty big display boards for the 4th, had the timing on the fuses and all that good stuff down to a science. Ive received a few burns, but nothing bad. In a decade of doing it, we never had any real accidents or injuries worse than minor burns. Of course, none of that was done in NY.

The only thing more exciting then the fireworks on the 4th, is the stories on the 5th of the idiots who blew off body parts.........

Honestly, how many of those per year do you hear about? You hear far more stories of idiots driving drunk and killing people on their way back from a fireworks show every year.

• Like 2

Im with you on that. Heck, make people take a little class on handling them if you must, and charge $25 for it. Then let the stores in the state, and say you can only buy them if you have this certificate. State makes money, people learn to handle them properly, and you dont have to sneak them in to set them off at your 4th of July bash at the lake.

Honestly, how many of those per year do you hear about? You hear far more stories of idiots driving drunk and killing people on their way back from a fireworks show every year.

there's always a couple really good ones, they usually happen right after someone says "hold my beer" and/or "watch this".........

falls under the same argument as legalizing pot. People who want to do it will drive to the borders and do it anyhow. Might as well save some people gas and time and keep the money in the state. It's basically 1 day a year and as a pyro i love to drop some change on some good boomers. Lately all i will buy is mortars though. Anything else is junk.

• Like 1

I have no issues with fireworks, I have a ton of experience with them. I used to put together pretty big display boards for the 4th, had the timing on the fuses and all that good stuff down to a science. Ive received a few burns, but nothing bad. In a decade of doing it, we never had any real accidents or injuries worse than minor burns. Of course, none of that was done in NY.

my worst safety experience is probably when my cousin thought the best thing to do would be to burn any evidence in the camp fire. ha. you can guess the outcome.

• Like 1