Adirondack getaway ideas

Terry

For something like that, the Lake Placid area is probably a smart bet - generally in the mix of being able to "get away" to climb/hike, plenty of water bodies, yet still some civilization in case the wife wants to go out for a dinner/drink, etc.

• Like 1

I've been going to my grandparents cabin north of old forge my whole life. Old forge is a quiet little town with enough to do to keep you busy, or enough not to do so you can relax. At least 4 or 5 low peak mountains within 30 minutes. I recommend bald mountain to start. You also have inlet and Raquel lake near by. There's everything from camp grounds to houses you can rent.

• Like 1

In the central Adirondacks, If you get the chance to check out Buttermilk Falls near Long Lake, it is about the prettiest spot I have witnessed on this earth. It is a waterfall/rapids on the Raquette river upstream of Long Lake (wide spot on the river) Lots of good canoeing spots near there also (Durant Lake comes to mind).    Buttermilk is a short hike from a parking area on the main road.   There is lots of lodging in the vicinity at Blue Mountain and Long Lake.

In the central Adirondacks, If you get the chance to check out Buttermilk Falls near Long Lake, it is about the prettiest spot I have witnessed on this earth. It is a waterfall/rapids on the Raquette river upstream of Long Lake (wide spot on the river) Lots of good canoeing spots near there also (Durant Lake comes to mind).    Buttermilk is a short hike from a parking area on the main road.   There is lots of lodging in the vicinity at Blue Mountain and Long Lake.

i second this.

So are you camping or looking for motel accommodations? That may make a difference in where you want (have) to go. One year we went on a photography mission to get waterfalls pictures. We found a map book that showed all the waterfalls of significance. It may have been in that New York Atlas & Gazetteer or maybe it was an internet search.  So we just drove around the high peaks area seeing some fantastic sights and getting some great pictures. We always timed it so that we were near a town at night for some dinner and a motel. We had a great time. Something you might want to consider if that sort of thing appeals to you.

If i am able to be self contained then i'd spend the days on the cedar river flow, there are plenty of campsites and its right on a huge lake. If you like canoeing then the section of the Raquette river between long lake and Tupper lake is a 3-4 day trip with only one portage around the Raquette falls with both warm water and cold water fishing. Hiking abounds off the river too.

Give St Regis Canoe outfitters a look see, https://www.canoeoutfitters.com/.

I have also heard that Buttermilk Falls is nice.

I know a couple people who go to George Lake.  Some will rent a private cottage with private beach access, or go to one of the camp grounds.

If you really want to get away and rough it, you can rent an island on Lake George and get dropped there until pick up on last day (weather permitting for the pickup of course).

If you are into camping/outdoor gear, the Coleman outlet store is by Lake George.  One my wife's friends goes to Lake George for their annual side-walk sale to a little shopping while on vacation, her husband does his shopping at Coleman.  They usually rent a private cottage.

I always have fun in Old Forge. A lot of nice places to hike and canoe. A spot to spend the afternoon hitting shops, the hardware store and such and some good places to eat and gets some drinks like the rooftop bar. Also a 2 hour drive is nice on a short trip.

For a more expensive but more town/entertainment trip. Saratoga or Placid or even Lake George.

Then there are bunches of more remote places for a more quiet outdoors only trip.

We always rent a house or cabin from owner for trips from 3 days to 2 weeks. Then you do not have to worry about eating out 3 meals a day. Usually on the water so you just walk outside and go.

• Like 1

Lake George is a nightmare.  I'll throw my hat in with the others on Old Forge.  A beautiful place with TONS of lakes.  Also much overlooked by the hordes.  A short drive to Blue Mountain Lake and the museum and all the trails you can hike on John Browns tract.

The wife and i are leaving on saturday for an almost week long frolic in the adk. we'll have to check out buttermilk falls , we don't have a lot of set in stone plans due to her pregnancy sickness phase still kicking in. Hopefully find some creeks to play in and some nice trails to hike on.

I've been going to my grandparents cabin north of old forge my whole life. Old forge is a quiet little town with enough to do to keep you busy, or enough not to do so you can relax. At least 4 or 5 low peak mountains within 30 minutes. I recommend bald mountain to start. You also have inlet and Raquel lake near by. There's everything from camp grounds to houses you can rent.

old Forge area is my favorite place on earth

The wife and i are leaving on saturday for an almost week long frolic in the adk. we'll have to check out buttermilk falls , we don't have a lot of set in stone plans due to her pregnancy sickness phase still kicking in. Hopefully find some creeks to play in and some nice trails to hike on.

buttermilk Falls has great trout fishing if that interests you

Like many here I like Old Forge as well, it's an easy ride from Rochester.

We've camped and hunted in the Moose River plains, camped at Nicks Lake and stayed at many of the hotels . Be aware some, of the hotels in the center of town can be full of partiers on the week ends. Last couple years we stayed at the one right next to the Old Mill restaurant , very basic rooms bit a bit quieter . Oh and eat at the Old Mill get the family bowl of the soup of the day too.

You can take your canoe to Rondax rd (spelling?) put in and canoe back to town, I've always found a local kid to pay to,take me back to the car. It's a nice paddle good spots to swim.

Take a ride to the Big Moose Inn for dinner one night.

The hardware store is kinda neat even after the many times I've been there.

You can drive around in the evening and see tons of deer , heck they walk right through the town . Start off on the roads behind the Old Mill. One year going towards Nicks lake we saw 6 bear in one guys back yard !

Catch a breakfast at Keyes as well.

If you go to,the water park remember "in after 3 next day is free". So go one day for a hour or two and came back next day for free. If that interests you.

Hum now I want to go too !

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 3

Lake George is a nightmare.  I'll throw my hat in with the others on Old Forge.  A beautiful place with TONS of lakes.  Also much overlooked by the hordes.  A short drive to Blue Mountain Lake and the museum and all the trails you can hike on John Browns tract.

Placid and George are nice places to vacation. Good family spots with plenty to keep the kids busy and happy. I would not lump them in with what a lot of people are looking for when it comes to camping/hiking in the daks though. They're nice places and i've enjoyed times at both but if you're looking for a quiet get away then I'd say look elsewhere.

Sure I have done both kinds of vacations, and they both have there time and place. It all depends on which kind of vacation you are looking for this time. Some times I want the carnival, touristy type of atmosphere, and sometimes I am looking for peace and quiet with more of a nature theme. The Adirondacks offers both and everything in between, but you have to make up your mind which one your after.

• Like 1

Placid and George are nice places to vacation. Good family spots with plenty to keep the kids busy and happy. I would not lump them in with what a lot of people are looking for when it comes to camping/hiking in the daks though. They're nice places and i've enjoyed times at both but if you're looking for a quiet get away then I'd say look elsewhere.

All are nice places to to Vacation, The traffic is very bad this time of the year. As it is in many places. Saranac is a nightmare

I've been tent camping in the ADK's for many years.  Some of my favorite places are Rollin's Pond State campground , Forked Lake State campground, (sites accessible by water only).  And Buck Pond Campground, which has 2 island sites.  I'll be heading up again in a few weeks.