Helicopter Ride=Bucket List

Lawdwaz

I've had a stiffy for a helicopter ride for many years.  The opportunity has never come up to scratch that itch until this past weekend. 

My wife and I along with two other couples were invited by my boss to a fund raiser for Mercy Flight in Wilson, NY last Sunday.  The people who donate the use of their property and probably many thousands of dollars are in the environmental remediation business in Niagara Falls NY.  Their property is amazing!  I heard (unconfirmed) that the same deal last year raised 500K,

Part of the fun of the day was helicopter rides provided by Mercy Flight for $100/person.  it was a no-brainer for me!  It was only about a 10 minute flight but needless to say a real kick in the pants.  :)

The entire event was way over the top, easily the nicest shindig I've ever attended.  Here are a few pics that I snapped with the telephone camera........................

There were two choppers running at one time!!

image_zpswy9mo1z5.jpg

Getting ready for takeoff!  Note the size of the "landing pad"......

image_zpsz0xia9wz.jpg

From the chopper, looking east towards Olcott.  Note the pier in Olcott and in the distance the smoke stack at Somerset Power Project.................

image_zpshqqeoafw.jpg

No big deal to most but it was something I always wanted to do but NOT from a stretcher.  :)

• Like 11

Got medavaced off my Coast Guard ship via a USCG helicopter. don't remember a single thing because just before they hoisted me in the stokes (to rough to land) our medic ran up gave me a shot off something and said"enjoy the ride!" Remember coming to briefly in the Naval Hospital in Puerto Rico with a very angry Doctor yelling "IF THIS SAILOR LOSES HIS LEG SOMEBODIES GOING TO JAIL!" 

Woke up a couple of days later getting wheeled  to the beach in an enourmous wooden wheel chair. 

Pretty sweet!

Any altitudes above 20ft are not for me.

I was on a plane ONCE, and that was only so I wouldn't get divorced before the honeymoon was over!

My window seat was right on the wing and I swear I saw every one of those wing bolt slowly un-screwing itself with every bump in the road.

Good thing I passed out before we left the runway and don't remember a thing until I woke up on a ship! :crazypilot:

• Like 1

Congrats and thanks for supporting them...Oh so important especially for us country bumpkins.

I can't say I really have a bucket list...but our daughter does and she jumped out of a plane a few years back...Cant say I'm that mean...Vomiting on a person trying to get me safely back on earth ...nope just can't do it... :derisive:

• Like 1

Congrats and thanks for supporting them...Oh so important especially for us country bumpkins.

I've always thought very highly of them exactly for the same reason, country bumpkins getting banged up, busted and bruised. 

A wonderful organization!

• Like 1