Salt lick

chiefbkt

I had a Catt. Co. sheriff post not one, but several photos of some nice velvet bucks hitting a trophy rock to my FB trail cam page. The he proudly proclaims them to be taken in Catt. Co.

If that doesn't give scope to the weight of mineral licks, I don't know what does.

Agreed on the stupid move of trying to kill the apple tree.

I've had the "luxury" of experiencing hunting over bait/licks, and running dogs, and hunting over or around food plots in my hunting "career" so far. Being in a supposed over-population situation in parts of NY, this fear of point-source attraction seems outweighed by the dire straits that required adding antlerless only seasons.

• Like 1

Tell him you saw an ECO parked near the property. Maybe he was checking things out? If your neighbor has any brains , he'll remove it before the season starts. Now you know why he's got some nice racks on the wall..

ECO's are like unicorns. I'm not sure they exist. I wouldn't go that route. Small tracks of private land will never see the boots of an ECO officer.

Honestly, if he's using it just for a trail cam then who cares? If it's there during hunting season you may want to approach him on it in a polite respectful manner. That said, I hunt now where baiting is basically leagal/not enforced. Trust me when I say it really doesn't make a bit of difference unless you've got a feeder on a timer.

Edited by Belo

Call the DEC.I never understood this mind your business/turn a blind eye mentality when it comes to game violations.It effects you.Why would you ignore it?

It also explains his woodmanship and hunting skills as far as the deer on his wall.

there are different levels of violation. hunting out of season, spotlighting, not tagging etc. all fall in to a different category then salt licks, 2 minutes past sunset etc. The DEC even sets different levels of fines. So the question is... is it worth starting a feud with your neighbor over just because you're a rat snitch?

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

Wait until you start finding the apples and other snacks that come out.

Wait until he's tresspassing all over the area.

Wait until he wacks a giant-illegally.

Wait until he ruins what was probably a good area.

Then sit back and wonder why you didn't call the DEC.

If he played by the rules he wouldn't need to worry about someone calling up on him.

Take a read around THIS site and see how many hunters that have been at the game for quite a while don't know every game law. You would be surprised how many laws ARE NOT in the reference book they hand out with the licenses.

A new neighbor gets the courtesy of a conversation.

• Like 2

there are different levels of violation. hunting out of season, spotlighting, not tagging etc. all fall in to a different category then salt licks, 2 minutes past sunset etc. The DEC even sets different levels of fines. So the question is... is it worth starting a feud with your neighbor over just because you're a rat snitch?

As I have stated before these kinds of threads make it easier to determine which deer are shot over bait and which are not.I choose to put in the time,scout and hunt hard to kill deer.I don't feel it's necessary to influence deer movement.I am out there to hunt.Not to sit,shoot,kill.If my neighbor was setting out salt licks It's not my problem to teach him the game laws or give him the benefit of doubt.He is a big boy-he can deal with the consequences.

Rat snitch? The people most against the rules,regulations and conservation officers are usually the ones who are most afraid of being caught by them and breaking them.

Good luck buddy.You're my new internet hero.

Take a read around THIS site and see how many hunters that have been at the game for quite a while don't know every game law. You would be surprised how many laws ARE NOT in the reference book they hand out with the licenses.

A new neighbor gets the courtesy of a conversation.

Can you cite a few of the laws that are not in writing? Ignorance ususally does not cut it with the DEC-especially if you have obviously been at the game for a while.

Can you cite a few of the laws that are not in writing? Ignorance ususally does not cut it with the DEC-especially if you have obviously been at the game for a while.

pretty sure you would have to read the entire ECL to see all the laws that are in writing...........the regulation book you get with your license is just a very small portion of the laws.

I didn't say they weren't in "writing" I said not in the hand out. You ever see the full text of the Environmental Conservation Law or read Mandarin? It's about the same level of complexity.

Fixed.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

I had a Catt. Co. sheriff post not one, but several photos of some nice velvet bucks hitting a trophy rock to my FB trail cam page. The he proudly proclaims them to be taken in Catt. Co.

If that doesn't give scope to the weight of mineral licks, I don't know what does.

Agreed on the stupid move of trying to kill the apple tree.

I've had the "luxury" of experiencing hunting over bait/licks, and running dogs, and hunting over or around food plots in my hunting "career" so far. Being in a supposed over-population situation in parts of NY, this fear of point-source attraction seems outweighed by the dire straits that required adding antlerless only seasons.

He was called out on it, and didnt seem to give a damn.

As I have stated before these kinds of threads make it easier to determine which deer are shot over bait and which are not.I choose to put in the time,scout and hunt hard to kill deer.I don't feel it's necessary to influence deer movement.I am out there to hunt.Not to sit,shoot,kill.If my neighbor was setting out salt licks It's not my problem to teach him the game laws or give him the benefit of doubt.He is a big boy-he can deal with the consequences.

Rat snitch? The people most against the rules,regulations and conservation officers are usually the ones who are most afraid of being caught by them and breaking them.

Good luck buddy.You're my new internet hero.

welcome to the forum. You clearly know nothing about me and have made up your mind regarding one post. I figured a guy named vinny tagalucci would understand what happens to rats. :sorry:

good luck to you this season. remember the speed limit is 55. Not a mph more.

I didn't say they weren't in "writing" I said not in the hand out. You every see the full text of the Environmental Conservation Law?

I spent 8 years of my career dealing with CFRs and NYCRR 6. the game laws are only a small portion. the whole thing is mind blowing.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/regulations.html

I spent 8 years of my career dealing with CFRs and NYCRR 6. the game laws are only a small portion. the whole thing is mind blowing.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/regulations.html

I know.   Anyone that thinks that all the game laws are clearly outlined and covered in that handout should take a read through...lol.

Well I invited my neighbor over to shoot bows tonight and brought up the whole baiting scenario to see what he would say.  He was completely against baiting with piles of corn and apples, didn't mention anything about salt licks.  So, like the good person I am, I brought it up.  He admitted to me that he uses salt licks solely out of season to get the deer more minerals for antler growth and for trail cam pics.  Even admitted that he had one out right now, but was pulling it this weekend since they're done with antler growth.  I wasn't sure what to say...so I asked him if he knew it was illegal to use them.  He said, I know I can't use them during the season.  I followed up with, according to NYS, you can't use them any time of year, not even to just get a few pictures.  He was in awe.  He was certain that he was perfectly legal by removing it before the season started.  So I guess this is where the misinterpretation of the law or the he said/she said scenario comes into play.  I pulled it up on my phone for him to see, he just said wow, didn't realize that.  He actually got a little worried and wanted to go pull the block tonight.  So if I were the type of guy that just acted on a situation before knowing the facts, I would have gotten him in a heap of trouble.  He genuinely seemed disturbed about the whole situation and asked me if I wouldn't say anything to anyone...too late, haha.  After talking with him and finding out his situation, I am glad I was able to approach it in such a manner that didn't point fingers at him.  He did show me pictures (with salt block clearly in photos), but only had a few small bucks and mostly does on his cameras.  Let's just say that made me happy.  

• Like 11

Well I invited my neighbor over to shoot bows tonight and brought up the whole baiting scenario to see what he would say.  He was completely against baiting with piles of corn and apples, didn't mention anything about salt licks.  So, like the good person I am, I brought it up.  He admitted to me that he uses salt licks solely out of season to get the deer more minerals for antler growth and for trail cam pics.  Even admitted that he had one out right now, but was pulling it this weekend since they're done with antler growth.  I wasn't sure what to say...so I asked him if he knew it was illegal to use them.  He said, I know I can't use them during the season.  I followed up with, according to NYS, you can't use them any time of year, not even to just get a few pictures.  He was in awe.  He was certain that he was perfectly legal by removing it before the season started.  So I guess this is where the misinterpretation of the law or the he said/she said scenario comes into play.  I pulled it up on my phone for him to see, he just said wow, didn't realize that.  He actually got a little worried and wanted to go pull the block tonight.  So if I were the type of guy that just acted on a situation before knowing the facts, I would have gotten him in a heap of trouble.  He genuinely seemed disturbed about the whole situation and asked me if I wouldn't say anything to anyone...too late, haha.  After talking with him and finding out his situation, I am glad I was able to approach it in such a manner that didn't point fingers at him.  He did show me pictures (with salt block clearly in photos), but only had a few small bucks and mostly does on his cameras.  Let's just say that made me happy.  

Very few real deer are ever taken over any kind out bait. the youngest and dumbest most times. Glad you didnt jump the gun and Drop a Dime on this guy with a 911 all alert get the sheriff up in his long johns phone call like some others here would have.

• Like 5

Touchy situation in my opinion....I have neighbors that call the law when I'm on my bull dozer, dozing my property....I always get the they didn't know exactly what you were doing.....bothers me when someone is trying to control my property.....it's a loaded gun situation.....I'm not up for illegally taking an animal but I wouldn't worry about it until I saw him hunting over it

Touchy situation in my opinion....I have neighbors that call the law when I'm on my bull dozer, dozing my property....I always get the they didn't know exactly what you were doing.....bothers me when someone is trying to control my property.....it's a loaded gun situation.....I'm not up for illegally taking an animal but I wouldn't worry about it until I saw him hunting over it

yeah, our neighbor upstate is a serial 911 caller.......it must kill him to watch whatever LEO responds, yuck it up with us, have a few laughs and shake hands before they depart, he has never called on anything that turned out to be illegal....annoying as all hell, but there's no law against being an a@@hole so we just shrug it off.

I wonder how many would call D.E.C. on their neighbor in an instant but when they are driving home with their legally taken deer on their truck are illegally talking on their cell phone calling friends about the 8 point they shot. :negative:

yes, that's extremely dangerous..............especially while trying to juggle the celebratory beer in the other hand.

• Like 1