Early Bow Season - How long do you let your deer hang?

jrussell

Newbie hunter here, 

I was wondering how long you guys prefer to hang your deer during early bow season, where the temperature is typically ranges from low 60's to low 70 degrees.  If I'm lucky enough to get a deer this year I want to be sure I do things the right way and not spoil the meat. 

Thanks for the help in advance,

-Justin

Newbie hunter here, 

I was wondering how long you guys prefer to hang your deer during early bow season, where the temperature is typically ranges from low 60's to low 70 degrees.  If I'm lucky enough to get a deer this year I want to be sure I do things the right way and not spoil the meat. 

Thanks for the help in advance,

-Justin

Bout long enough to get it cut up...lol

Are you cutting it up yourself?

• Like 2

yea if it's not under 40 degrees I cut it up right away.  even then it's always hanging hind quarters up.  heat from within the carass doesn't get trapped in body cavity, easier to process, and everything is draining alway from the best cuts of meat.  when cutting up deer that quick I still put the boned out meat in a meat pan and in the fridge for up to a week or so at most to let it "rest" and age before vac packing and freezing it.

Agree with the above.  If you don't have access to a walk-in cooler and aren't going to be cutting it up yourself, you need to get it to a processor immediately.  You need to plan in advance- know where you'll be bringing it for processing beforehand.

• Like 1

I will quarter it after skinning immediately...and pack it in either large coolers with lots of ice or the frozen water I put in used milk jugs(keeps the deer out of standing water) or an old refrigerator we use for deer..only prime cuts are used then ...loins rump shoulders....everything else that would have been burger or sausage in colder temps...is fed to the boys, Angel and the cat. One rib side to a dog. 

If you don't cut it up yourself the points above are spot on. Find the processor, get his hours and phone number ahead of time. The tough part of not cutting yourself is illustrated perfectly by Grow's story. Even with a processor all lined up, you could end up with a midnight recovery. What then? I am sure he isn't getting out of bed to get your deer in. I also like frozen jugs for putting in the coolers with the deer. no water logged meat.

I know there are really two camps of thought on hanging. (if the temps are right). I have done it out of necessity but not by design. I have never had bad meat from not hanging and "aging".

Two thoughts.

ALWAYS take out the inside tenderloins immediately when it is hung. Those tender little morsels should not be allowed to dry out.

Understand that if you hang without the hide there will be a crust of dried meat that forms that will need to be trimmed off. this can happen when you do things like hanging quarters in an fridge. I have had good luck really minimizing this by simply wrapping the quarters in saran wrap before putting them in the fridge.

You are doing the right thing in getting a game plan thought out prior to going afield. bravo!!

• Like 1

I too have had very little sleep before a work day, after recovering and cutting up a deer during early season or warm temperatures. You need to have a plan in place before you shoot! It also has made me VERY selective with my shots to insure a quick recovery. Good that the OP is thinking about this before the shot. Way to go!

• Like 2

If you don't cut it up yourself the points above are spot on. Find the processor, get his hours and phone number ahead of time. The tough part of not cutting yourself is illustrated perfectly by Grow's story. Even with a processor all lined up, you could end up with a midnight recovery. What then? I am sure he isn't getting out of bed to get your deer in. I also like frozen jugs for putting in the coolers with the deer. no water logged meat.

I know there are really two camps of thought on hanging. (if the temps are right). I have done it out of necessity but not by design. I have never had bad meat from not hanging and "aging".

Two thoughts.

ALWAYS take out the inside tenderloins immediately when it is hung. Those tender little morsels should not be allowed to dry out.

Understand that if you hang without the hide there will be a crust of dried meat that forms that will need to be trimmed off. this can happen when you do things like hanging quarters in an fridge. I have had good luck really minimizing this by simply wrapping the quarters in saran wrap before putting them in the fridge.

You are doing the right thing in getting a game plan thought out prior to going afield. bravo!!

good additions.  I always take out the tenderloins carefully as to not rip them and right away to not let them dry out.  also I always leave the hide on when hanging so the meat doesn't dry.  when in meat pans at home in a fridge or at the farm in an upright cooler there's saran wrap over them.

letting it age is more out of habit being raised for me.  I think it helps a little but venison doesn't age like beef does.  a week just under 40 degrees is more than enough and any longer won't do much.  getting all the connective tissue, fat, and silver skin off it will do much more.

• Like 1

Oh and flies...I'm crazed by flies..I just bought two of those large cheese clothe game bags...Skinning is a tiresome thing so I skin and cut off the legs to meat I'll use and slip a bag over the deer and tie it up...this is easier if hung by the neck...something I never normally do...then you can get everything set to quarter it up with out bugs on it...the most important thing is to get that hide off as soon as possible and a stick propping open the cavity....

Gut the deer , put in trailer and head for home . Hang the deer in the garage . Skin it , cut it up and put in totes in a Fridge . Then come the rest of the work to clean ( get rid of the silver skin ) , grind and package the meat . Too warm to leave it hanging . No more processors for me !