LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

See a deer coming, stand up, a nice buck pops out. Trouble is where he stops I have branches on the way . But of I sit I can shoot under them, he catches my movement takes a couple steps and stares , no shot due to branches. He may have passed my camera though .

Edit 9:20 another young 8 PT came by , they're on the prowl today !

Edited by Larry302

post-6443-1446299066706_thumb.jpgWaiting. Spot I found yesterday I decided against today because the wind sucks so I thought I would try one other area I hadn't before. It is a pain to get to, but really not so bad. When I got here I saw three deer on the way in past a fence on private land then as soon as I got to the spot I scared one doe away. Subsequently a small buck walked by me at 20 before I could nock, then a fawn at 60 yards after that; then just now a doe and a fawn giving me my second broadside of the season. Which I missed cleanly with another over its back. I ranged it a few yards off (no excuse this time as I have a range finder) and I believe I also hit the string in the tree stand and that caused the arrow to shoot high somehow. Or not, who knows: I tear the 40 yard up at the range, and I wasn't nervous as I shot. I am two for two shooting high this year. The doe ran off but it was it severely spooked so maybe more will be back.

This is the first deer I have seen in my stand though and these things do seem to rock. I was fiddling around with them 35 yards off they looked up at me never cared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Core

Crows ruined a good portion of my morning with their endless racket. Couldnt call or hear anything. An owl kept hooting and stirring up the crows again, over and over. I now know why the call it a 'murder of crows'. You just wanna throttle the little sh*ts.

A recent mock scrape I made near by main stand has started to see action. Doe on camera pawing and peeing. Hopefully she brings in the Big fella. Kishel's scent have been pretty effective for me this year.

That 8 point  I passed up on day one, who came along a drag scent trail is getting bigger and bigger in memory, the more time that passes with no serious action.  :(

Edited by Papist

Rough morning, I sat the same stand that I hit the twigs in last night. Had a doe come In around 8 o'clock. She gave me a perfect broadside shot at about 7 yards, I guess I didn't aim low enough. The arrow hit here very high almost straight down right next to her spine, penetrated about 8 inches. I waited about 40 min and went back to the house to get my fiancé. She helped me located and follow the blood. Which we found about 60 yards from my stand. We tracked her about 500 yards to the creek very light blood drops. Then another 300 to a over grown hay field where the blood started to get better looked like she was bleeding from both sides. Went into a little cut of pines that led to someone's law with posted signs... There were two descent spots of blood right in the entrance.... I went and knocked on the door to ask permission to track and the owner gladly gave it to me. Once we entered his property the trail dried up we searched in every direction and found nothing. Never found my arrow either... I'm really pissed but there was nothing more I can do. I guess I'll get back in that stand this afternoon

I wish you were on the other side of the state. That sounds like a good one to try "bloodglow" on tonight. If the broadhead is still in there, and you keep her moving, it might cause her to loose enough blood to go down for good. With that much yardage on her trail, you must not have got any of the lung. Every hit is different and the best thing to do with a broadhead-in, muscle tissue hit like that is to keep them moving. Just the opposite of a gut-hit, when it is best to leave them alone for 8 hours minimum. I would mark your spot of last blood and return after dark with a sprayer of "bloodglow". Don't forget to bring along a sharp knife.

Edited by wolc123