My Friends Bucks!

nyantler

My very close friends, and probably the most well known Adirondack trackers in NY, Jim Massett(left)and Joe Dinito(middle) with Steve Grabowski(right)display their snowy adirondack bucks taken the last weekend of the Northern Zone season. I believe Joe has taken twelve such Adirondack bucks in the last 13 years.

post-1627-131455395862_thumb.jpg

Did you get any details as to how they got them? Was it in traditional Adirondack fashion where you hear about tracking them in the snow and then stalking them? Or do they have some good habitat and utilize tree stands, food sources, etc?

You couldn't tie one of these guys up and get the into a treestand..lol.. they are diehard trackers to the core and the most adept at it as any hunters in the country. They simply find a track and dog the buck.. Jim's buck he actually wounded in the shoulder and caught up to it 4 days later and finally killed him. Joe picked up his bucks track 3 days before killing it.. going back into the same area and picking up each day on where he left the track the night before until finally catching up to the buck in an evergreen swamp.. not sure about Steves buck

Thats awesome.. Thanks for the info NYantler. I would love to see those guys work a track. By the way, how come the NYantler outdoors site seems to show some pictures but no associated stories? Is there a membership sign in I'm not seeing for their more recent pics?

Thats awesome.. Thanks for the info NYantler. I would love to see those guys work a track. By the way, how come the NYantler outdoors site seems to show some pictures but no associated stories? Is there a membership sign in I'm not seeing for their more recent pics?

Go to the DEER Stories page and click on the links

After discovering this website this year I believe I need to get out of the treestand more after opening day of gun season.Besides I can use the exercise.  It is nice to see these  pictures.

Although this kind of hunting (tracking) isn't for everyone... I have always thought it is the most consistant way to kill bigger bucks if that is what you really want to do... There is a huge learning curve in the beginning.. but tracking is one of the most exciting ways to hunt, because the whole time you know the caliber of buck that you are tracking and the anticipation of him being just ahead gives you a rush like you can't imagine.

Well tracking a deer is a dying art for two reasons..1st its tough!!! it requires learned skill and patience and enough access to continious land.  Second the hunting industry can't make a $ off it so why advertise it!! much easier to show what scent/treestand/accessories you need to kill a deer like on this tv show!! lol  ;D 

Well tracking a deer is a dying art for two reasons..1st its tough!!! it requires learned skill and patience and enough access to continious land.  Second the hunting industry can't make a $ off it so why advertise it!! much easier to show what scent/treestand/accessories you need to kill a deer like on this tv show!! lol  ;D

And you need to know how to judge a deers size and shoot said deer in the matter of a few seconds. Them ADK and other "Wilderness" bucks don't stand around and wait to get shot like there southern brothers.

Let's face it, if I were to set out in the morning to track a buck it probably would take me over a few neighbors property. I would be trespassing. That shouldn't stop me if I really wanted to try it there are big enough tracks of state land around.

Just to try and reply or answer some questions.... actually in the adirondacks tracking is a growing way to take whitetail bucks.. i know numerous guys that have taken it up and have become very successful in the big woods. Also, most of the shots you get are not jump shots if you know what you're doing. More often than not in the adirondacks its a shot at a bedded deer or one feeding.. somtimes even standing looking back at you wondering what you are. More often than not if he gets up and runs its long before you've seen him.

As for tracking in more suburban areas, not as vast as the adk's... you have to track differently.. the game is usually on immediately so you move slower much sooner... the idea is not to spook the buck so that you have to jump shoot.. thats a shot most trackers pass on... the idea is to see the buck while unnoticed... if you push him to posted property .. oh well ... thats part of the game...in the adirondacks it's possible to track a buck all day at a regular walk and never catch up to him.

Downwind is very important.. and most of the time a buck in the adirondacks travels into the wind which makes it a little easier... there are times when you have to leave the track and try to circle downwind and try to pick the track up again... its just part of the game (which believe me, you lose more than win) in the more suburban areas deer are use to smelling humans and don't get as alarmed until you get too close, and even thn they usually don't run all to far before calming down...so you can sometimes get away with tracking into the wind for a bit... If a big buck smells you in the adk's, he won't wait around at all.. he know's you don't belong and will put as much distance between you and him as possible. If any buck is hot on  a doe while you are tracking him.. you can get away with a lot.. because he couldn't care less about anything but that doe.

Some nice deer! 

I went to college with a Grabowski at Morrisville in '97-'98.  Think his name was Steve too.  Wonder if it's any relation.

It's amazing how tight a spot a buck can fit through too.  I was on one one time below Woodhull Mtn and he was going through holes in spruce thickets where I ahd to get on my hands and knees to get through.  Can't imagine how they can manage it with horns!  Seems like they'd snag on everything.