Help on reading a shot

Hookhunter20

Got the word back that the buck was hit in the brisket most likely as some of you had suggested. No blood after the spot of the shot and the dog couldn't come up with much after the initial 50 yards despite working the whole thicket. Disappointing but an unfortunate part of hunting, hopefully we'll cross paths again later on this season. Thanks for the input and help

Shot a big 9pt years ago. This was the same deer my friend shot at 2 weeks earlier. His shot hit low, back in the stomach area. When the deer was hanging he looked at the hide and we saw his arrow hole going through both sides of the deer. His arrow had light pink blood on it and greased up like you said. Again there was blood initially but stopped after a while. When I shot the deer he was chasing a doe and feeling just fine. Good luck!

not to derail, but that's a good picture to show how far forward you can actually aim....I think most aim too far back, as I used to do prior to getting a better understanding of the anatomy....probably worth starting a new thread with that pic.

We have a very extensive thread on deer anatomy:

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/6770-deer-anatomy/page-1

It's always good to browse through this thread some time prior to the season just to refresh your memory on where everything is and where you should be aiming.

• Like 1

No deer can be hit through stomach or intestines and survive.  In fact, it's quite the opposite, the deer will die 100% of the time.  The problem is how long we have to wait, usually a minimum 6 hours and then tracking can be next to impossible if the deer was even slightly pushed.

Septecemia -is was kills them.  Poisoning of the blood from bacteria.

• Like 2

I shot my first buck ever in the intestines because I was shaking with excitement.  Luckily he jumped and ran 10' then haunched over.  I was able to knock another arrow and drilled him again.  I couldn't find my 2nd arrow so and wasn't 100% sure where it hit, so I backed out and waited 8 hours.  One of the longest 8 hours I've ever had to endure.   When we found him 60 yards from my stand the 2nd shot had double lunged him and hit the heart.

When you think its a bad shot don't even consider going in after him and just back out.  I will always have my quiver nearby ( I don't shoot with it on) because you never know when you'll be given a 2nd shot 

Edited by StevieSacs
  • Like 1

I really wanted to be out there now but with couldn't with work. They wouldn't let me come in late but I'm only working until 11 and running home, makes it tough cause I leave my house at 430 in the morning for work.

this isn't intended as criticism, and don't take it like I'm being hard on you but hunting at night when you know there's no way you can track in the morning is a risky game. I'm not saying you shouldn't ever do it, but unfortunately even if you recover the horns the meat might be lost to either yotes or the temp this time of year and that's a shame.

Plan your hunts carefully guys and always plan for the worst.

My experience with hunting with a bow or a gun, is aim for the shoulder and if there no shot, don't take it. Deer can run forever with gut shots. I believe in fatal shots that take a deer down within a close range of shot. I also believe in taking some practice shots with the bow before going into the woods. Takes the edge off and if you are hunting without a rangefinder it allows remembering where the yardage could be in the woods in relevance to where the target was.