tongue

Rhwrhwrhw0426

Odds and Ends:

I really like beef and pig tongue.  My grandma always pickled them along with the hearts when we butchered.  I always liked the tongue a little better than the hearts.  It is softer and less "chewy", almost melts in your mouth.    Beef tongues are huge compared to deer tongues.  I always save all the deer hearts and my wife pickles them using grandma's recipe.   It makes a great appetizer for the new year's eve party, and she usually makes me another batch for valentines day, served on a "heart" platter.   Maybe I will save the tongues this year and have her throw them in with a batch.  I wonder how bear tongue would be?   Only one way to find out, maybe this weekend.

My favorite part of any deer is the liver from a button buck or doe fawn. Livers from 1-1/2 year olds are still pretty good, but after that, they are not worth bringing out of the woods.  My mother in law and I even tried some 4.5 year+ Adirondack mountain oysters last Thanksgiving weekend.  If you do those, you might want to make a slice across, prior to frying or they may make a little mess in the frying pan when they "explode". 

i was tempted a few times i have had cow tounge its like ham

I found it to be a much more beefy flavor than any ham. I thought it was the best beef flavor wise I've ever had. I'd much prefer tongue to filet going based off of flavor. Texture is close to the inner tube of a tire. But very delicious! One day I'll try a deer tongue and report back.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Odds and Ends:

I really like beef and pig tongue. My grandma always pickled them along with the hearts when we butchered. I always liked the tongue a little better than the hearts. It is softer and less "chewy", almost melts in your mouth. Beef tongues are huge compared to deer tongues. I always save all the deer hearts and my wife pickles them using grandma's recipe. It makes a great appetizer for the new year's eve party, and she usually makes me another batch for valentines day, served on a "heart" platter. Maybe I will save the tongues this year and have her throw them in with a batch. I wonder how bear tongue would be? Only one way to find out, maybe this weekend.

My favorite part of any deer is the liver from a button buck or doe fawn. Livers from 1-1/2 year olds are still pretty good, but after that, they are not worth bringing out of the woods. My mother in law and I even tried some 4.5 year+ Adirondack mountain oysters last Thanksgiving weekend. If you do those, you might want to make a slice across, prior to frying or they may make a little mess in the frying pan when they "explode".

if you do bear be sure to cook the hell out of it. The last thing you need is a severe case of trichinosis

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I usually freeze the hearts for a month or two, which may help kill the worms, but boiling the hearts and tongues prior to pickling, should finish them off for sure.   We never had any trouble with the pigs done that way, but I will be sure to have her boil the bear a little longer.  Thanks for the warning.

Never tried deer tongue, just looks too small to be worth the effort.

But I DO love beef tongue. Every time I buy a side of beef I ask for the tongue, I have one in my freezer as I type. If you cook it fresh, it's good on a sandwich or in tacos, it tastes like roast beef just a little richer. Brined & cured tastes like melt in your mouth corned beef. No "bloody" taste like you get from hearts or livers. Actually, I'm getting the craving for a tongue on rye with Swiss cheese, mustard, & onions right now and it's 6:00 AM in the morning!!

• Like 1