Would You Want This Rule?

Five Seasons

No, not really. There is no need to create any questions about whether the arrow was stuck in the deer by hand after it was shot with the gun. Right now there is no legal way that a deer taken in bow season can have an accompanying bullet hole in it. Let's keep it that way.

• Like 8

Ethically it would be a good idea, but I could see people putting a deer down with a gun and then going over and putting an arrow thru it once it was dead to make it look like a bow kill that needed to be finished by a gun.  Then again what would it matter?  They want deer shot, right?  What real difference does it make what weapon does the trick??

• Like 1

Ethically it would be a good idea, but I could see people putting a deer down with a gun and then going over and putting an arrow thru it once it was dead to make it look like a bow kill that needed to be finished by a gun.  Then again what would it matter?  They want deer shot, right?  What real difference does it make what weapon does the trick??

post-152-0-11563500-1445537489.gif

• Like 2

Speaking from an humane point of view I think such a law makes sense. I see no reason for allowing an animal to suffer after it endures a non-lethal shot

from a bow. Of course some will seek to take advantage of such a law, as others here have pointed out, but such skirting of laws is common practice in every situation and should not be used as a reason to prevent the unneeded suffering of wounded game

Edited by Uptown Redneck

I usually go into the woods with 3 good arrows and broadheads, one filed of judo pointed arrow and one broadhead that is kind of buggered up a bit just for finishing shots and close range. I don't get the inhumane talk. wouldn't you just shoot it again if you came up to it and it is still alive?

I've never considered myself much of a bowhunter when I did bowhunt, but I spined a buck once and then fired 3 more arrows into him while he was on the ground at about point blank range.  He still kept kicking.  Not until I threw a heavy log over his neck to anchor him to prevent him from goring me with his antlers and then stabbed him in the heart and lungs with my knife did he give up his ghost.  Absolutely incredible the tenacity they could have and it showed me how ineffective an arrow could really be.  One shot from even a .22 at close range and it would have been over.

• Like 2

A sharp broadhead kills by depriving the deer's brain of oxygen.  This can occur due to massive blood loss, or damage to the lungs.  Typically, with a well placed shot, it is a combination of the two.  Even with a near perfect shot, depending on several variables, the time of death can be quick, or may takes several minutes. 

If a deer is "spined", a well placed shot to the vitals should quickly finish off the deer.  Of course, this may not be immediate. 

As for a bullet to the head, this simply destroys the brain.  Effective, yes.  Necessary, probably not.

Nope….It would just give low life poachers a step up. Bullet THEN arrow... and repeat.. Just get another arrow into him if you have to.

How has this became an acceptable way of thinking why do we as a society see it fit to restrict others because of what some may do? Do you not let your kids play outside because they may get dirty or do you let your kids go outside and tell them not to get dirty. This train of thought is very sad to me!

• Like 2

How has this became an acceptable way of thinking why do we as a society see it fit to restrict others because of what some may do? Do you not let your kids play outside because they may get dirty or do you let your kids go outside and tell them not to get dirty. This train of thought is very sad to me!

Why not have no rules at all and just trust that everyone is an honest person?? Do you let your kids play outside after dark and not ask them where they are or when they will be home????

• Like 1

Why not have no rules at all and just trust that everyone is an honest person?? Do you let your kids play outside after dark and not ask them where they are or when they will be home????

Having no rules is completely different than my example "and tell them not to get dirty." Having laws to prevent outlaws from breaking laws just doesn't make sense to me!