What really grinds my gears!

Northsox65

One thing I really like, is when folks hop on to condemn me for giving my savior Jesus Christ most, or all of the credit for deer that I kill.   That helps put the focus where it should be and not on my own personal hunting skills.  Sure I practice a bit and put in some time, but it is The man upstairs who has the final say where ALL deer end up.  If He chooses to put them in my freezer why shouldn't I give Him the credit?  It is no coincidence that the Cross-bow is my favorite deer weapon.                

Just curious.  So if you make a bad shot and injure a deer is it your fault or was it Jesus who wanted the deer to suffer?

• Like 1

What grinds my gears a bit are the elitist, selfish bow-hunters who are fighting so hard to keep crossbows out of "their" season. Hopefully they will throw in the towel prior to next season, so we can have all of it. I did hear a rumor that may be in the cards.

It is no coincidence that the Cross-bow is my favorite deer weapon.

And none of the above statements come across as an elitist crossbow hunter? Just sayin

What grinds my gears a bit are the elitist, selfish bow-hunters who are fighting so hard to keep crossbows out of "their" season. Waiting until the last two weeks has not been that bad this year at least, because it has been too warm to kill a deer and properly care for the meat. My gears would have ground a lot harder if we had some more cool weather these first 4 weeks. Hopefully they will throw in the towel prior to next season, so we can have all of it. I did hear a rumor that may be in the cards.

Other than that, I am more amused than aggravated by some hunters. Holding out for only older bucks for example. I will take a 2.5 year buck over just about anything myself, as it offers the perfect combination of quality and quantity. Those who like "challenging" themselves, to the point of risking not killing a deer cleanly, is tough for me to understand. I don't want to "give the deer a chance", if I don't have to. The less the "challenge" the better for me. Then there are those who claim they will only take shots when they are 100% sure of the kill. Really?

Acting like it is a sin to kill a button buck, but thinking nothing of killing a fat doe at the end of ML season, that may well be packing two, is odd to me. 25% of my antlerless kills have been button bucks thru the years, and there is no finer eating for sure. If you ever are hart-broken or run off a hunting club for taking one, pm me and send it my way.

One thing I really like, is when folks hop on to condemn me for giving my savior Jesus Christ most, or all of the credit for deer that I kill. That helps put the focus where it should be and not on my own personal hunting skills. Sure I practice a bit and put in some time, but it is The man upstairs who has the final say where ALL deer end up. If He chooses to put them in my freezer why shouldn't I give Him the credit? It is no coincidence that the Cross-bow is my favorite deer weapon.

What grinds my gears is elitist crossbow hunters that think those things belong in regular archery season! Edited by Buckmaster7600
  • Like 3

Check my photo in the "show your mug" thread. I apologized for the sour puss.

It took me almost 6 hours to find that deer and drag it out of the brier patch it had burrowed into, and it was 75 degrees that day. The deer was quartering away and I hit just about every organ in it's body before the broadhead sliced up the lungs. A couple more hours and the meat likely would have been inedible.

I was very happy about the kill and thrilled that I was able to recover the animal, but it was a lot of work and I still had to get it to the processor's cooler 45 minutes away so that I could get the carcass cooled down.

That's my excuse for the less-than-joyful look on my face. Plus I tend to look dopey when I try to force a smile.

leave the man alone about religion already. if you ask me believing in god and keeping him in your daily life would help a lot of douchebags I have run into out ALOT.

now what grinds my gears is when my wife keeps me up late the night before I go hunting in hopes I don't go hunting... well not really

• Like 2

leave the man alone about religion already. if you ask me believing in god and keeping him in your daily life would help a lot of douchebags I have run into out ALOT.

now what grinds my gears is when my wife keeps me up late the night before I go hunting in hopes I don't go hunting... well not really

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Why does He allow deer to be hit by cars?   Sometimes for my family to eat I suppose, as it has happened many times including the fine button buck last winter, who's frozen parts we are just about ready to start on. The tenderloins were delicious on that one, four days after the kill.   It has got to be a better way to go than starvation, old age, or coyote kill, which are the only other options in many NY areas where hunting is currently banned, including the adjacent town.    There was a motorist killed in our town from a deer-car collision a few years ago. That was a tough one, but will probably add years of legal hunting in this area, in spite of accelerating urban sprawl.  Sometimes you got to look hard for the silver lining, but it is always there.  

As long as you keep the door open, some day He will pile on enough proof that is impossible to deny.   I will continue to point out additional evidence as it occurs, as long as I am able, and I appreciate all your "bumps" back up to the top.   There is no way to deny the hand He had in at least my last 4 bucks.  Try as I might, I cant think of any of my hundred or so total deer kills over the last 30 some years that He didn't play the lead role.

• Like 1

The list is long, but I suppose I could start with people who post with grammar that's worst than that of a 3rd grader. It really does reflect badly on the general hunting demographic and their level of writing skills on a forum.

Another thing that "grinds my gears" is the abundance of misinformation that floats around that's plain wrong. A lot of hearsay and passing along of that information as truth or fact. I have a lot of respect for those who state their personal experiences or references to facts, but not much to those who fabricate something to make themselves sound like they know what they are talking about.

Hypocrites and people who project. They're kind of one and the same to me. There's always a cause and effect in life, and people that can't or won't realize this bothers me. These people generally will say one thing one day and turn around and act totally different the next, depending on what suits them any particular day. Why can't people just own up to their own actions?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Edited by shawnhu

Another thing that grinds my gears is that every year someone in upstate NY will get sent a pic of  either a Mt Lion, or Sasquatch, or a polar bear or something and they might even have a pic that was taken in Alaska or the Midwest swearing it was here,,,,,,,,

People that use flashlights walking to their stands waving them around like light sabres

Atv riders who need that to get to their stand when they are neither old or crippled,just to lazy to walk, leave it at the truck and if you get something get it to drag it out.

People who want to tell me how to manage my land for monsters who don't manage their own in any way shape or form

The new hunter that knows it all and shows no respect to the old guys in camp that can read a woods better than the guys Google Earth ever thought of doing.

People who apply for doe tags and won't shoot a doe ... ever...

Guys that hunt for horns and don't take the meat.

Any person shooting more deer than they have legal tags for.

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

Atv riders who need that to get to their stand when they are neither old or crippled,just to lazy to walk, leave it at the truck and if you get something get it to drag it out.

Thanks for reminding me of that one.  I swear, the only reason some of these clowns look forward to hunting season is to joy ride on their ATV's.  A lot of them could give a crap about the hunting itself.

What grinds my gears....

-Guys that recently gain permission to hunt the same land as you that show up late and leave early on their atv....  or when they decide to walk, they walk out right by you when they don't have to, and its the last half hour of shooting light.

-When the landowner of the land you've hunted your whole life tells you you're the enforcer of the land and that you can put in food plots and he "loves seeing the deer and turkeys and having them on the land" and then decides to "clean up" the land and mows the fields down to a quarter inch, wants the other fields brush hogged down just as far in late September and spends every early morning and late night cutting every single branch 6' high and lower around every field (browse, scrape limbs)and cutting all ground cover in the hedgerows from june-september. And decides to "clean up" all deadfall and cut for firewood in October and now possibly in November. All the while ignoring every bit of advice or requests to leave some of it alone and why. And then proceed to tell me that the deer have plenty of food with my "massive" (1 - .25 acre and 1 - 1acre plot, that aren't that great to begin with) plots and then start mowing them smaller after the money and time I put into them. The land is 10% heavy blowdown and 90% field.

- When I've had sole permission to hunt a small tract of land that is a perfect big buck funnel for the rut and then a couple family members decide they want to be big hunters and sit in my tree 4+ days a week in October, burning it right out before the rut even starts (I try to leave it alone until then) and when I go down there I see mock scrapes that I know weren't done with caution, hatchet marks on trees for mock rubs with doe in estrus gel on them and scents hanging from multiple trees. All while they refuse to hunt good stands across the road (where I've shot a great buck out of as well) that we put up for them in great spots so they leave my spot alone. The tree stands were ones that I owned and sacrificed.

What really grinds me are people that do not treat their pick-up like they should, with a carpet in the bed for proper protection and wrapping a deer in a tarp so as not to soil the carpet.  It literally keeps me awake at night. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

You know, Moog, I thought of you yesterday. I was on cars.com looking at trucks and one of them had a pre-installed bed rug. I pointed it out and my wife said, "but what about deer blood?" Some people just don't get it.

Edited by Wildcats160

One of the many things that grind my gears are those people that I have given hunting permission to, who begin dragging along, cousins, nephews, buddies from work, and all kinds of other people without ever asking permission from me about it.

My Dad had that happen years ago. After inviting a couple of friends from work to hunt our property. Next thing we knew, the driveway started looking like a parking lot. And then after a few years, the original invitees no longer were showing up, but this army of unknown people filled the property. That ended opening up our farm to those that would take advantage of it.

I had a nearly identical scenario, and up went the signs, each visitor was told not to come back, and no one ever got an invite to hunt there other than relatives with the express instructions that they were not to invite anyone to come with them. I wonder how much access is denied because of that very same situation..

people in general tend to grind my gears....

+1. I am just not always a people person.

I thought for a while on this one. 

Maybe not all have dealt with this but........

You start a new job, make "friends" with other hunters. You talk, get together for beers at the local watering hole and make plans. Then when it's time to get out scouting and finding places to set up everyone always had something else to do. So you go out, you scout for a few months, you set up areas to sit on the ground or use a tree stand, and mark them on maps. Then you make copies of those maps and give them to your "friends/hunting buddies". Opening day they don't seem to have anything going on. You get to the spot and give them the best spots. One gets a big deer, you help drag it out, and then notta. Not even one frikin tiny steak or some ground for my time and effort? Then they wonder why you won't hunt with them any more.