Hit by car deer/ what would you do ?

turkeyfeathers

So driving to scout my hunting area I descend down a large hill. Just over a knoll and have to gently apply brakes or your speeding I see this in the road.

http://i.imgur.com/OhrS8k1.jpg She must have just gotten hit. I pulled over , waving traffic around her. She got up after a lot of me yelling and clapping. I could have reached out and touched her as she was completely stunned. Back leg appeared to be broken at the hip with blood coming from arse too. She hobbled to ditch just off road and fell over. She tried to get up and head towards the road two more times. I knocked on 3 surrounding houses doors to perhaps have them notify police / dec and suggest that they could now possess her after put down and tag issued. Nobody home

I'm approx one hour each way to get deer carrier if "I" wanted to call dec to get tag. As no way to transport her without carrier. I still had a ways to travel on my journey. I fear she will get in road again and perhaps cause a bad accident CCW chambered in 357 Sig. No knife on me. What do you do ? The good part is upon scouting I found a good rub line and fresh scrapes right near my blind. 4 longbeards and a Jake right near blind too. 75 yards and gosh are they dumb in the fall for some reason.

did you try calling and there was no answer? what I did in that same situation, was called the local PD and they came and shot her...I took her home, I'll never do that again because the amount of usable meat wasn't worth the trouble of bringing her home and then getting rid of the other 90% that was garbage.......if there would have been no answer I would have stuck her with an arrow and left her on the side of the road. I'm not driving around with an untagged deer no matter what.

You are going scouting and you have no knife on you??  Moral of the story here for me is that it's better to have a knife on you or in your car instead of that .357.  If you stab the deer or cut it's throat to put it out of it's misery, the DEC or trooper would have NO issue with you.  If you shoot it with your handgun, you might have some explaining to do.

• Like 1

did you try calling and there was no answer? what I did in that same situation, was called the local PD and they came and shot her...I took her home, I'll never do that again because the amount of usable meat wasn't worth the trouble of bringing her home and then getting rid of the other 90% that was garbage.......if there would have been no answer I would have stuck her with an arrow and left her on the side of the road. I'm not driving around with an untagged deer no matter what.

the ones that run into the car are the best. usually broken neck and what is damaged can be front quarters. Hinds are usually pretty good.

You are going scouting and you have no knife on you?? Moral of the story here for me is that it's better to have a knife on you or in your car instead of that .357. If you stab the deer or cut it's throat to put it out of it's misery, the DEC or trooper would have NO issue with you. If you shoot it with your handgun, you might have some explaining to do.

It's rather easy to prove that he didn't shoot her and then stand her up in the road to get hit by a car.

It's rather easy to prove that he didn't shoot her and then stand her up in the road to get hit by a car.

I think the bigger issue is the discharge of a firearm in an area where such discharge may not be allowed

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

THat has happed to me  a lady hit a small basket 8pointer  she was not in her car  but the police showed up   i told hom the deer is not dead  i braught him to were the deer was   i asked can i take the deer harvest it    officer states  yes  i asked do i have to tag it he said no    i will put it in my report ..i said ok   ......took a knive to throat   waited  and took deer home .....

THat has happed to me a lady hit a small basket 8pointer she was not in her car but the police showed up i told hom the deer is not dead i braught him to were the deer was i asked can i take the deer harvest it officer states yes i asked do i have to tag it he said no i will put it in my report ..i said ok ......took a knive to throat waited and took deer home .....

How was it? Also glad to see no waste of a perfectly good deer

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Tough call… Id like to say I would call the DEC/Police but if the response time was going to be long do you let the thing suffer?? Im thinking I would have given her a round  to the back of the head, but its hard to say with out actually being there and seeing the whole picture.

• Like 2

Discharging a firearm at the side of the road is illegal. You can go to court and explain the situation, and maybe get a pass from the judge considering the circumstances, but it's not worth the risk.

Tough situation TurkFeathers, and I won't play Monday morning quarterback on you. You did what you felt was right at the time, and I'll support that.

I used a knife once…UGLY  Very UGLY. But if thats all I had??? I'd drag it back out into the road and run it over again….

The one I did with the knife bled for a long time before losing consciousness - minutes it seemed. I cut both sides of the neck. It bled a lot. Ugly, yes.

I always said I would use my CCW to put it out of its misery but the more I think about it, the more trouble it could get me into. I would just call the police or DEC and be on my way. I personally don't have any desire for a roadkill deer, as being stated above... seems to be more work than it's worth most of the time.

• Like 1

Last shoot'em up,  law enforcement I had put a doe down, that was hit by a car,  shot 7 times into her before she expired,( so he said).  I tried to explain to him how an animal continues to move for a time, but he wouldn't hear of it. Said she was still alive. Tagged the deer, took it home and the meat was worthless.

Call law enforcement if you can't get a hold of DEC, make sure they shoot it in the head. Many try to shoot it in the neck which does nothing instantly but puts the deer through more misery. Last year while in stand I heard a car hit a deer I watched from my stand with binoculars the guy called the police. They came and shot it 9 times in the neck before it died and took about 10 minutes before the police officer left which I am assuming the deer was dead at that point.