NY is #1 Worst State to Hunt Whitetails

Renegade Hunter

Went to Iowa this year the second week of November for a bow hunt. This is my third time going New York is not even close to Iowa as importance of deer and deer management. If you go you will never want to come home. Also figure how New York could have it if we did it right. I was successful mid 140's but really happy it dressed out at 240lbs..... Third times a charm saw bigger but second to last day and was not coming home empty hand the third time.

post-935-0-69303100-1450297813_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Now please tell me how they came up with that Number?:

while harvest numbers are competitive nationally, 54% of all bucks harvested were yearling deer.In fact, only 18% of all bucks harvest in New York were three and a half years old or older

See the last I knew,and I reported 2 buck this year, all they ask for in the report are the # of points on each side. Sorry but that pretty much tells them bupkis....

Edited by growalot
  • Like 4

Now please tell me how they came up with that Number?:

See the last I knew,and I reported 2 buck this year, all they ask for in the report are the # of points on each side. Sorry but that pretty much tells them bupkis....

Actually it tells them enough to estimate a number.  If you report a deer as 4 points or less they will generally consider them yearlings.  It's not an exact science by any means, but it's the best they can do with the resources they have.   

Went to Iowa this year the second week of November for a bow hunt. This is my third time going New York is not even close to Iowa as importance of deer and deer management. If you go you will never want to come home. Also figure how New York could have it if we did it right. I was successful mid 140's but really happy it dressed out at 240lbs..... Third times a charm saw bigger but second to last day and was not coming home empty hand the third time.

I've been doing a lot of research on Iowa and it looks like they have it pretty well figured out. I'm going to start putting in for preference points this year, hopefully in 2-3 years I will be able to make it happen. To go out there during the rut and see a lot more mature bucks would be well worth it for me. Let alone actually connecting on one. It seems they are all on the side of letting them grow. And I've read up on the cost of their NR tags being expensive, but it insures that serious big buck hunters are the ones purchasing them from out of state. Kind of wish NY would take some lessons. We have great bucks that "make it through", but could have a lot more. I know others have different opinions but that is mine.

• Like 3

That article was posted a few months ago as well. Numbers don't add up for NY. But it must be right because it's in the web!

NY has some great deer hunting and some great bucks. So saying we are the worst state to hunt deer is pretty bold, especially considering that site took facts from where ever and used them to make a list for all those states. I bet the person who wrote the article has never even stepped a foot on the soil of those states. It's pretty clear that the whole article is about 'trophy" hunting.

If I was going to spend my money and hunt a different state, I would want to hunt moose, elk, muleys, grizzly bear, sheep, or some animal I don't have a ton of in my back yard.

• Like 2

I know a few on here say we cant be like Ohio.Illy Kansas and such but i say bull to that, No guns in rut. Shorten the seasons. Have doe dates and Nyb would grow some huge bucks. Look atbthe ones that were taken this year on Antlers site and i know of a few brutes i saw that would have fit well on that page. Feed them and give them some age and look out!

• Like 3

What about  the people who do not hunt so they have something to brag to their friends about? Of course seeing and taking a big buck are great but why manipulate the seasons to facilitate the ones that only care about how big of a buck they can shoot . The amount of large bucks in NYS i feel is enough to really appreciate the times when you do get one . The mindset where everyone deserves a trophy for participation is a big reason this country is headed in the direction that it is.  

• Like 4

If NY was such a good whitetail state, there would be at least 1 very successful outfitter in the state. I don't know of any outfitters in NY who are having clients shoot big bucks year in and year out like many other states in the Midwest and even down south.

Separately, does anyone have access to pope and young or b & c record books?

I don't, but would be curious to see how NY stacks up against other states as far as entries each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

What about  the people who do not hunt so they have something to brag to their friends about? Of course seeing and taking a big buck are great but why manipulate the seasons to facilitate the ones that only care about how big of a buck they can shoot . The amount of large bucks in NYS i feel is enough to really appreciate the times when you do get one . The mindset where everyone deserves a trophy for participation is a big reason this country is headed in the direction that it is.  

You could still shoot a little buck or a doe if you so choose. You will just have different set times to do so. Pretty Simple. 

If NY was such a good whitetail state, there would be at least 1 very successful outfitter in the state. I don't know of any outfitters in NY who are having clients shoot big bucks year in and year out like many other states in the Midwest and even down south.

Separately, does anyone have access to pope and young or b & c record books?

I don't, but would be curious to see how NY stacks up against other states as far as entries each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P&Y i am sure Ny could have a showing if more entered their deer.  B&C i am sure there would be none. 1 every 5 years or something.

• Like 1

I was in the army with a guy from the falls back in the 60's.I am from Ohio, we have been real good friends all these years. He comes to Ohio to hunt with me and I go to NY to hunt with him. I realy like to hunt in NY it is such a beautifal state. I have traveled all over NY on my motor cycle.  I think NY is beautiful. As far as the hunting goes it seens as though every body is trying to get what they want. Farmers  scream crop damage, ins. companys scream outo deer accadents, hunters want more deer. I do not know  the states can please every one. just a thought.

• Like 1

The grass does always seem greener on the other side of the fence doesn't it? .... lol. Yes, I can jump in my car and drive all over the nation or maybe even Canada to find a few extra inches of bone, or I can step out my back door and climb the hill and try to take the best animal available right there. Heck, if all I am interested in is something to hang on the wall, I can pony up the bucks to head for one of these guaranteed canned hunt kind of places where they provide genetically constructed build-a-buck trophies, and put all those Ohio or whatever bucks to shame.

Is the easiest hunt the best for everyone? Apparently to the author of this article it is. Sorry, but I think I am intelligent to figure out the hunting area that best suits all of my needs and wants. I don't need someone else to figure out what kind of hunt that I need and what I am supposed to be setting as goals and measures of success.

• Like 4

I have had a lease in Ohio the last 3 years and shot 2 bucks in the 140's but I won't be going back next year. I think killing a mature buck in NY Is a bigger challenge and more fun. Seeing a rut in a big buck state is a must do for everyone it truly is amazing. To me I hunt for the challenge and shooting a mature adk buck is about as challenging as I have found in hunting.

• Like 4

What about the people who do not hunt so they have something to brag to their friends about? Of course seeing and taking a big buck are great but why manipulate the seasons to facilitate the ones that only care about how big of a buck they can shoot . The amount of large bucks in NYS i feel is enough to really appreciate the times when you do get one . The mindset where everyone deserves a trophy for participation is a big reason this country is headed in the direction that it is.

Nailed it. This everyone gets a trophy, don't hurt any feelings mentality our country is taken is making for a scary future.

If one wants to go hunt else where, each is own. When I put in the time and all that time produces a nice harvest, I'm plenty happy to continue hunting this "awful" state of NY.

• Like 2

Doc, thanks for the reply.   I don't know if many of you thought  about this ,but the person who wrote the line in the WIZARD OF OZ many years ago realy realy hit the nail on the head.''There is no place like home'' You guys in NY have a great stats,ocean, mountains, the terrain in the Adderindocs vs. the terrain in the southern tier. Don't mean to ruffle any feathers, but I love NY. If moveing were only that easy.

I'm not saying I hate NY, as I said in the original post, I love hunting here. I spend a lot of time in these woods. I do think we could manage deer a little better though. Get the numbers up. Let them grow a little. I'll do my part in letting the small ones pass and have the chance to grow into a nice buck. You guys keep shooting all the year and a half olds so, "not everyone can get a trophy".

I'm not saying I hate NY, as I said in the original post, I love hunting here. I spend a lot of time in these woods. I do think we could manage deer a little better though. Get the numbers up. Let them grow a little. I'll do my part in letting the small ones pass and have the chance to grow into a nice buck. You guys keep shooting all the year and a half olds so, "not everyone can get a trophy".

Not everyone cares about a trophy. Shoot what you're happy with and let everyone else do the same. This shove trophy hunting down everyone's throat is ruining the sport. I too let all 1.5 yr old bucks walk and I don't always kill a buck every year as I hunt only state land but I'm certainly not going to begrudge someone else the right to shoot a 1.5 yr old buck if its legal.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 3