Smokers???

MACHINIST

Not cigarets or cigar but for food.What do you use?Pro's and con's? I was looking at a masterbuilt electric but I've been told to go with gas.Point me in the right direction!!!!

I just got this exact smoker from Santa plan to use over the weekend.Not sure how they work however think an electric smoker will heat better then gas with gas or wood fired smokers you have to regulate add more wood or turn gas valve up or down.The electric ones do not need to be watched as closely my opinion.

• Like 1

I've been using a Master Forge from Lowes for years now. It's dark green and sort of pill capsule shaped. It's charcoal. Got it for Fathers Days awhile back. Same exact thing in a Weber is $300 .This was $50. I use it all year long, leave it in the driveway and shovel around it. I use it a lot. I have no problems using wood. One full chimney gets me 200-225 degrees. I'll toss a handful of more coals midway thru smoking when I toss another handful of wood chips. Venison, pork tenderloins, wings, beer can chicken, wild turkey breasts wrapped in bacon, sausage, almonds, salmon. You name it and I've smoked it. Not sure how other smokers work but I love this plane Jane one from Lowes.

I've gotten to point now where I no longer need to stay home and guess if it needs wood chips or more coals etc. You get a feel to when things are done. It's almost impossible to oversmoke foods too.

Dang underscore !! At least I didn't post a sideways pic

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I opted for gas because I wanted the opportunity to use it when electric isn't available, like at camp. The only issue i have ever has was the burner didn't tun down far enough for some of my recipes. A simple inline valve solved that. I have smoked with both and there isn't a huge difference. I would say that I am not fond of using the ones that use pellets or bricks. I like the chunks so I know exactly what is in the wood I am using. 

I have a propane smoker and it works great with a reducing valve installed in line to lower the temp. I've done pork, venison, and chicken with great results. My question is can I do some fish without it stinking up the smoker?

My question is: Why are you online at 9:18 AM? 

Sick day?, Dead Presidents Day?, Your Birthday? Working From Home Day? Take Lawdwaz To Lunch Day?

:)

Edited by Lawdwaz

I have a propane smoker and it works great with a reducing valve installed in line to lower the temp. I've done pork, venison, and chicken with great results. My question is can I do some fish without it stinking up the smoker?

My smoker was brand new and I used it twice for fish, but cleaned it thoroughly each time. Smells a bit smoky but no fish smell to speak of.

I really don't want to clean it so thoroughly so time will tell as I use it more.

I move one rack to just above the water an and make sure that it covers the area below the fish. It catches any drippings and clean up is a breeze. no stink. I size it to leave about 1" to 1/12" around the outside of it for heat and smoke. 

• Like 1