NY is too soft

outdoorstom

3 years ban and $10,000 seems like the right amount of deterrent to the average hunter who would never think of doing such a thing, BUT relative to how much this person earns it may be very little

# years is not enough.Never again should they be allowed to hunt or fish.Infact If I were in law enforcement I would have a micro chip installed to everyone that is a poacher this way they have no chance of commiting these crimes again

It would be interesting if Bubba could dip into his Justice of the Peace experience and shed some light on how fines are arrived at. I have no idea, but it may even be completely arbitrary and maybe even without any guidelines. How about it Bubba? Anything to offer on what criteria sets the fine levels and why there would be such humongous disparity from one violator to the next or one township to another?

• Like 2

It makes no mention if these are first time offenders or not, which I think would affect the fine/sentence imposed. Also age is often a factor as young people do stupid things which can affect their future hunting.

BUT LISTEN GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT! REPUBLICANS CUT OSHA'S BUDGET NOT OBAMA.

Washington – OSHA faces a 5 percent budget cut as part of an appropriations bill approved June 23 by a Senate subcommittee.

The Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies Subcommittee is proposing to reduce OSHA’s budget, currently at $552.8 million, to $524 million in fiscal year 2016.

The Senate subcommittee’s proposed cuts come a week after its House counterpart approved a budget that would reduce OSHA’s FY 2016 funding by 3 percent. The Senate Appropriations Committee will consider the full $153.2 billion appropriations bill on June 25.

Such spending reductions can have negative repercussions for workers, committee Democrats warn. “This would reduce OSHA’s ability to enforce the Occupational Safety and Health Act, resulting in thousands of fewer investigations of potential workplace health and safety issues affecting tens of thousands of workers,” a press release from the minority party states.

http://www.safetyandhealthmagazine.com/articles/12557-senate-subcommittee-approves-osha-budget-cuts

lets not derail this. but it's not that simple

http://www.ishn.com/articles/88292-vpps-star-dims-in-obama-administration-630

# years is not enough.Never again should they be allowed to hunt or fish.Infact If I were in law enforcement I would have a micro chip installed to everyone that is a poacher this way they have no chance of commiting these crimes again

Don't understand the microchip comment. My neighbors dog is microchipped, it runs away, the dog catcher catches it, it's scanned and returned to owner. Next week same thing all over again.

You would think as money hungry as this state is they would hit them harder with fines/penalties. especially if you commit a simple driving infraction.. for the money they fine us there, compared to poaching... doesnt make sense..

Totally agree w/ ya Let em, I paid over $200 for doing 60 in a 45, and it was not even me, he got the wrong guy ( was in a group of cars) and no matter what I told him he did not care. Then to make matters worse I missed a "chip" shot at a beauty of an 8 pointer the next morning, needless to say that's a weekend I'd like to forget

While those fines are lenient, changes to severity aren't the most effective way to reduce offending.  Studies show that deterrence is better achieved when the probability of being caught is increased rather than the severity of punishment.  That is, of course, a joke in this context.  Poachers are rarely ever caught.  First the lack of manpower hurts.  Factor in the rampant failure to report violations by civilians and you can practically guarantee getting away with it.  You can make the fines as high as you want.  I doubt it would make any difference.    

• Like 2

Leave it up to a judge. A kid who makes a bad call at 25 will be a differt man at 35.

Losing his car and a lifetime ban of bunting and fishing is crazy.

How about community service pickin up the trash or somethin.

Dont be so quick to be harsh. Saw a vid of an old guy who was fishin with no license and they dragged him to court. Turns out thats how he fed himself as he was an off the grid type.

Cant treat every situation the same.

Now repeat offndrs are fair game

Almost 10 years in EHS and I can tell you many stories. Obama even came out and slashed OSHA's budget and insisted they enforce and fine more to make up for it.

But has set up an increased fine structure to "catch up" for no having fine increases. That resulted in fine increases of about 80% and there will be increases equal to the cost of living increase every year. 

If I were in law enforcement I would have a micro chip installed to everyone that is a poacher this way they have no chance of commiting these crimes again

That's a little crazy considering you'd have no  idea what someone was doing unless you also propose bolting a helmet cam to their skull.  That could get kind of expensive paying people to constantly watch the video. If you stick with the location chip only it could get a little dicey when you send DEC out in the woods after him and he's just in a tent camping hittin the old lady