TV Show, Alaskan Bush People

DirtTime

Good question Elmo. If they actually choose to live that way, then I would have to guess they would die happy being free from the BS that binds most of us. After all, isn't freedom what we all aspire too?

I'm very happy. I assume I'll die happy. If you're not happy with your current situation then it's on you, not society.

I like all the Alaska shows and can't wait to go there this summer.

By far my favorite series was The Last Alaskans, it was only 10 or 11 episodes and didn't have a lot of the manufactured drama in it. Much more of a documentary style.

wildcat junkie, on 26 Feb 2016 - 11:23 PM, said:

Here in the North Country it's White fliers & black flies.

Yeah, Wildcat..Actually we encountered several different kinds of obnoxious biting insects on the tundra, black flies, white feet and some others. Fortunately we were a little late for the skeeters, but during June, July and early August the mosquito is the Alaska State Bird.

On the first couple of trips my hands got so swollen from bug bites ( especially while butchering meat) that I could not see my knuckles. I started wearing latex gloves after that, and it helped, but the little demons still chewed the crap out of us.  Fortunately, on the open tundra the wind blows a lot and that helps keep the bugs at bay..On calm days you would go NUTS without a headnet.

I like the show. I am aware of the legal issues going on with the cast. My question isn't about the show or those legal issues.

My questions are;

Could you give up everything and live off the land? No cell phone, no PC, your furnace is your ability to keep a fire going in a home you had to build, and survive? 

I myself enjoy the show.Even though this is made for TV/entertainment it also gives a sense of what life is like outside all the technology we have.In the 30's when my dad was being a child they/my family was raised like the ways they show in the woods.Time has evolved into modern living.To answer your question could I give up my modern life to live and survive off the land yes I could.

live like the "Alaskan Bush People"? never in a million years.....I can't imagine how living in a tiny shack, by choice, with your grown children could be healthy for anyone.....

The smaller the house/home the closer the family will be LOL!

you ever watch when they kill and butcher a deer? like total savages the way they slice it up and cook it..........nothing appealing about that whole family whatsoever.

The killing of the deer by the Girls are cool.The way they butcher is far from the way I do it however being out in the woods as the show depicts is their way.Keep in mind this show   is for entertainment.I come from a large family and as a child never knew where some of the food came from My mom/Dad was still cooking on a wood fired cook stove when I was 10 years old.We had a phone that was attached to the wall in the kitchen had a TV and only had 3 channels.We didn't get cable until 1994.By that time I was out making money and Partying My ass off.Back to this program it does show the way of life outside what we live now 

live like the "Alaskan Bush People"? never in a million years.....I can't imagine how living in a tiny shack, by choice, with your grown children could be healthy for anyone.....

There was a time in America when most rural folks lived that way. Kids were created as a tool for family subsistence. Why do you think all these big old farmhouses looked like they could house several families. That wasn't because they enjoyed cutting firewood to heat unused space. We didn't always live a lifestyle where kids grew up and then headed for opposite ends of the country/world. There was a time when several generations of people lived in the same house.

There was a time in America when most rural folks lived that way. Kids were created as a tool for family subsistence. Why do you think all these big old farmhouses looked like they could house several families. That wasn't because they enjoyed cutting firewood to heat unused space. We didn't always live a lifestyle where kids grew up and then headed for opposite ends of the country/world. There was a time when several generations of people lived in the same house.

My wife's grandparents ran a dairy farm untill 2006 and had 7 kids with 5 boys. They milked and hayed the farm alone with no outside help. 6 of 7 kids live in a 2 mile radius of the farm and so do me am my wife...grandpa is 80 and still cuts and teds hay and then has a bigger operation come and round bail it. I got the opportunity to help bail (square) a few years back and them 50+ year old brothers made me look like a chump

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My wife's grandparents ran a dairy farm untill 2006 and had 7 kids with 5 boys. They milked and hayed the farm alone with no outside help. 6 of 7 kids live in a 2 mile radius of the farm and so do me am my wife...grandpa is 80 and still cuts and teds hay and then has a bigger operation come and round bail it. I got the opportunity to help bail (square) a few years back and them 50+ year old brothers made me look like a chump

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I was 12 yo when I was put on the hay wagon to 'catch' the bombs coming out of the square-baler. They weighed more than I did, and I learned a lot about situational awareness and paying attention that first summer. It was part of growing up.

I cringe when I see the videos today of people so involved in their phones that they walk directly into harm's way, oblivious to the world around them.

• Like 1

Probably not too many people here remember putting up hay loose in the mow. I was that 5 year old kid that was up in the mow tramping in the hay. Yeah ...... The kid with hay fever coated with chaff stomping around in the air so full of dust that you could hardly see through it. Oh yeah, I worked for one of he neighbors bagging oats on the combine, choking and sneezing. We were a hard-core farming community with big houses and lots of family members in each house. Yeah everyone up and down the valley had those huge houses with several adult family members and even family units under the same roof. We had my grandparents living with us until they all passed. No, we wouldn't think of packing them off to a nursing home as long as we had a roof to offer. In some ways, that style of life was a lot better than today. We took care of our own.

• Like 4

I guess I like the show for seeing people live on their own terms. Meals over a fire and if you don't hunt or fish, you don't eat.

I remember early camping trips with my two brothers, my mom, and my aunt. We would head out to the Schoharie valley area along the crick in my moms big old station wagon. We would get a fire going, cook hot dogs on a stick and put them on a slice of bread and that was dinner. We had no tent so we would sleep in the wagon or just under the stars.

I would never 'choose' to live the way they do, but pound for pound I respect those people who do live that way. I would put my money on anyone hunting or fishing to have a meal or going hungry, then rely on the "experts" from a show, the web, or a magazine. Just sayin'.

Edited by ....rob

I have no doubt I could do it but would really not want to for a long haul. I like modern plumbing, dentistry, breweries and a wide variety of foods. I mean to really live off the land that means no TP, bug spray, toothpaste, medicine......

I would enjoy a lot of it but not hardcore.

• Like 1