TV Show, Alaskan Bush People

DirtTime

I like the show. I am aware of the legal issues going on with the cast. My question isn't about the show or those legal issues.

My questions are;

Could you give up everything and live off the land? No cell phone, no PC, your furnace is your ability to keep a fire going in a home you had to build, and survive? 

In the early 80's I took a summer leave and spent 3 months in the Colorado San Juan mountains as a volunteer caretaker keeping an eye on a ghost town. Many days would go by without seeing a soul. Barely any AM/FM radio, shortwave and my weekly pick up of gas, grub and reading material my only connection to the outside world. I have two daughters and think fondly of the deep absolute quiet there.

• Like 2

Id like to think I can. Id rather not go with out a source of news though, so I can stay current with the world. Id never actually do it though. 

They have those crank up solar radios. But, guessing you can't live without the web?

In the early 80's I took a summer leave and spent 3 months in the Colorado San Juan mountains as a volunteer caretaker keeping an eye on a ghost town. Many days would go by without seeing a soul. Barely any AM/FM radio, shortwave and my weekly pick up of gas, grub and reading material my only connection to the outside world. I have two daughters and think fondly of the deep absolute quiet there.

So you had food delivered, you didn't have to actually get out and survive eating what you killed?

Edited by ....rob

I like to think I could with my wife and kids....I have been hunting and trapping my entire life running chainsaws axes and the like too. And as a welder fabricator machinist and having helped build a few houses pretty sure I could handle that.

My biggest problem would be running water and and toilet....I love my porcelain throne and the water it comes with....

O and would need a weekly supply of redbull air dropped in

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

There was a time when I believe I could have. But then I wonder what it would be like to reach my age and still have to hunt for my food and go out and lug firewood. I suspect it is on thing to go hunting because you just want to vs. doing it because you have to. Most people don't burn wood because they have to. If you have lived long enough to reach old age, things like ready access to doctors and hospitals and pharmacies take on a bit more reality than they did years ago. That spirit of invincibility now focuses on putting on just a few more years .... ha-ha-ha....

No I have gotten very used to going hunting when I want to . The idea of turning up the thermostat to get through these winters is far more appealing than cutting, stacking and feeding firewood  into a stove or fireplace. And if we have a bad hunting year it is always comforting to know I can jump in my car and go into town for some grocery shopping.

• Like 1

I have been to Alaska 7 times and I LOVE it.

It's a great place to go hunting and fishing. I wish I could afford to go back every year.

But LIVE there..??...        NOPE !!

Six months de snow fly, and six months de BLACK fly !

• Like 2

Only seen a few episodes a while back. Love how that one kid has a British accent lol. The episode I saw they paid for the girls dental work in salmon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah i would like to see the real truth on that group.  Kinda like Amish Mafia...My buddies wife in Pa cashed the checks for Lebanon Levi and a couple others...15 big one's a pop!

• Like 1

My questions are;

Could you give up everything and live off the land? No cell phone, no PC, your furnace is your ability to keep a fire going in a home you had to build, and survive? 

Absolutely NOT!

Where would I charge my e-ciggys...? :smoke:

• Like 1

Absolutely NOT!

Where would I charge my e-ciggys...? :smoke:

They just had on news other day that an E-Cig exploded in a guys pocket! It was caught on store camera, it was like a flame thrower!

I said from the start that stuff was going to come out about that family, I was thinking more like  in celestial stuff  though.  LOL I am sure they have buried people out there in the woods, all that bad luck they were having was them just trying to run away from authorities

It was a summer only gig at or above tree line. Other than foraging for mushrooms and native plants I did little hunting as it wouldn't have been allowed anyway. Tell you what i did do! i panned for gold almost every day and froze my hands off doing it came away with almost 3 oz of gold after 3 months.

• Like 1

k

Well well well, in that time period I went backpacking in the San Juans and visited a ghost town near by , an old gold mining town if I recall correctly .

• Like 1