10-Year Vegetarian Here That Now Eats Meat...

Heraclitus

...and wants to learn how to hunt. It is a long story, but life experiences and ideals have led me here.

I live in Lindenhurst, NY (Long Island) and would like to learn about hunting and fishing. I have absolutely no clue. I am hoping someone can take me under their wing and show me the ropes. Thank you all for having me. God bless.

• Like 9

No one I know has ever told an exciting story about putting the "stalk" on a stalk of celery, or an encounter that put a trophy "head" of lettuce on their wall.

Your life is about to become a whole lot more interesting and exciting.

.... first thing you'll need to learn how to do is the "backstrap boogey"! :danced: It's good exercise,lol

You can still throw all that green leafy crap on top of your meat if you desire.

This place will be a good starting point for your interest in hunting and fishing, so welcome aboard and good luck.

• Like 2

Vegetarian is an old Indian name for bad hunter. :drinks: Welcome to the fold! Hey if you were on a strait vegan diet for 10 years, and have not started to eat meat yet. I would start with something lite like chicken or fish, than work up to red meats. It’s all in portions try no bigger than the palm of your hand.

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1

Welcome! Nice to hear that you want to give hunting a go. Besides the actual hunting of game . There are so many other things associated with hunting that are very enjoyable too. The sights, smells and sounds of nature in the hunting woods. The enjoyment of becoming proficient with your weapon of choice, bow, shotgun, rifle or a combination of all of them! The satisfaction of procuring your own food. Learning and sharing hunting info. And so many other things that make hunting honorable and fun. Best of luck to you in all your future hunting adventures!

• Like 2

I'm kinda in the same boots your are in, except for the vegetarian part. I started hunting this last season.  I just turned 34.  Never fired a real gun and certainly never shot something that was alive.  I've learned a lot on here.  A ton of knowledge actually.  Nothing will help you field dress a deer like an experienced friend however.  Youtube and read and learn all your want.  I'm glad I had someone to call for both deer I shot.  I'm pretty sure I would have worked it out on my own but probably not with the same results.  I appreciate the meat I got and how well it was cared for.  I did the work myself with the direction of my friend ( oh and by the way...shoot a grown deer and they're heavy.  Help dragging doesn't hurt)  You probably have a friend close by who hunts.  If not, make one.  

• Like 1

...and wants to learn how to hunt. It is a long story, but life experiences and ideals have led me here.

I live in Lindenhurst, NY (Long Island) and would like to learn about hunting and fishing. I have absolutely no clue. I am hoping someone can take me under their wing and show me the ropes. Thank you all for having me. God bless.

Welcome to the forum...If you get in the mood for typing I wouldn't mind hearing the story of becoming a vegetarian and what lead you away from it along with wanting to learn how to hunt. Has to be interesting...

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum...If you get in the mood for typing I wouldn't mind hearing the story of becoming a vegetarian and what lead you away from it along with wanting to learn how to hunt. Has to be interesting...

I am currently working on something but eventually I will chime in. It is a long story. :)

haha No girl involved.

So here goes. Short version. My dad and I got into Yoga about 20+ years ago and began experimenting with vegetarianism since Yoga is about compassion and supposedly a plant-based diet is better for you. Well, about a month and half ago my father passed away from a heart attack at the young age of 69 years old despite seemingly taking care of his health (and karma). This made me confused and angry, so I renounced Yoga and decided that it's better to just live 'normally' since our actions are relatively meaningless - when it's your time to go, it's your time to go. Anyway, during the week I stayed at my aunt's house to bury my dad, she fed me meat (Greek family) and out of politeness/convenience, I did not refuse. I began feeling very strong physically and enjoyed this way of eating. I have eaten meat ever since and decided that I would eventually like to hunt and fish my own meat for health (maybe even 'compassion') reasons.

I hope this all doesn't make me appear to be a loon... because I can imagine that it does. haha

• Like 4

Sorry to hear that...doesn't seem like a loon....yoga a Lil wierd tho lol....hunting and fishing is absolutely the best way to get fresh meat for the year...some guys here live off it all year for most part. It's a passion for most of us and a way of life and it seems to me like your ready to take the leap into it too....good luck with it all lots of info here and good chats

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Welcome to the site!  Congrats on wanting to explore the great outdoors, fishing and hunting, yep you came to the right site! 

First I would get a fishing license.  Small and large game you need to take a class to get a safety certificate that will get you a license to hunt.  Next you would need to choose if you want salt water, fresh water, small game or large game.  Fishing is easy to start.  Charter boats are great for salt water.  Hunting you would need to choose game and weapon.  Small game is easy to start off with but big game is better to have a mentor.   Most important would be to go to the DEC web site, they are a wealth of information. 

http://www.dec.ny.gov/

I am interested in mentoring but would need more info.  Not to get to detailed on a public forum but are you born and bread NYer?  How far can you hike?  Can you drag a 100 lbs?  Can you swim?  And what kind of BB gun did you have?

Edited by NFA-ADK
  • Like 1

My condolences on the passing of your dad. A true outdoors person can find an inner peace while hunting and fishing. Would be so nice to have you join our ranks and experience it for yourself. Alot of good people here to help you get started on your journey to become a hunter. Have fun and best of luck to you.