Mountain lions in NY?

Tughill Tamer

What is everyone's take on the possibility of them being in NY? You keep hearing reports of sightings, there was one the other day out of the Adirondacks and one not to long ago out of South Colten NY.The DEC denies the possibility.Has anyone out there ever seen anything resembeling a mountain lion in the NY woods? I personally have never seen anything like one in my 30yrs plus Inthe woods however about 10 yrs ago while taking a back road to a friend's at night I came around a bend in the road and my headlights caught the back half of something entering the brushline that looked a lot like a big cat.It was tan in color and had that big swooping tail.I guess maybe it could have been some kind of dog but from what I could see in the 3 seconds or so that it was in my headlights it seemed to have more of a sleek cat like profile. I backed the truck up but never got another look at it.Could they be this far out of there native range?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There are more alleged sightings in NY then in states that have documented, huntable populations. In spite of these "sightings" no one has ever produced/posted a verifiable bit of actual evidence - picture, scat, dna, hair, etc. Seems the NY version has the ability to be invisible on camera, walk floating above ground, and never leave a hint of their physical presence. The only evidence left was by the one killed in Ct by a car that was tracked from out west. One of the dumb ones unlike it's NY relatives.

• Like 4

Same thing all the time. Tons of rumors, never any evidence of tracks, scat, dead ones, etc. yes, there was 1 killed in CT a few years back, but other than that I do not believe there is a breeding population.

I think many people catch a glimpse of a nice size bobcat and scream cougar. But there's a big difference between a 30lb cat and a 150lb cat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lack of physical evidence, combined with the unreliability of observers makes it unlikely there are ever more than an occasional wanderer.

I don't believe there is a sustainable population of them here either but it is interesting to think that there could maybe be an occasional wanderer

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

My wifes Grandmother (now deceased) grew up on a farm and was a country girl. She lived out in the woods with a powerline running behind her house maybe 150 yds. About 10 years ago she would swear up and down every couple of weeks that she saw a huge cat. She had two very large dogs, one was a German Shepard and the other was some sort of mix but was just as big and she was always nervous to let them out. That went on for a whole summer and then I never heard about it again. I was always looking out the back when I was there hoping to catch a glimpse of what she was seeing but I never did....I forgot all about it until I read this post....She would have known the difference between a bob cat and a large cat.....

• Like 1

Just a couple of weeks ago a friend of mine came into the Legion and announced that his sister had seen a mountain lion along the highway near Lindley.

When someone made a skeptical comment, he said " Are you calling my sister a liar ?"

My answer was absolutely not, she saw SOMETHING and it is within the realm of possibility that it was a mountain lion. However the odds are about a million to one that she was mistaken".

Trial153, on 04 Mar 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:Trial153, on 04 Mar 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

They are all over the place, I know a guy that has seen three of them in different locations.

Yeah, I know several people who have seen numerous pumacougars..A couple of them were even SOBER.

The hard part is trying to keep a straight face when they tell me about it.

I usually just smile and NOD....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 7