Mountain lions in NY?

Tughill Tamer

Bill Schmidt, on 04 Mar 2016 - 11:07 AM, said:

I heard about sightings over 10 years ago in Bloomingrove.

Shucks, Bill, I heard about sightings when I was a kid in the 1950s and 60s...

There never seemed to be any physical evidence THEN either....Hmmm...

• Like 1

I didn't even bother reading the comments in here because it is not worth the effort.  There is ZERO chance there is a mountain lion population in NYS.

It IS possible that A (and I emphasize "A") mountain lion could wander through.......the same that it IS possible a tiger could escape from a zoo and wander around (and has).  Mountain lions are not bound by fences.  It IS possible one could decide to walk 1,000 miles and end up here (or stroll through).

I live in Clarence, NY and if you asked residents a couple years ago if it were possible there are bears in the area, you would get a 100% answer of NO.  Not even possible.  Then 2 years ago, that idiot bear decided to wander from the southern tier, literally walked through my back yard and was shot in Niagara County (because, ya know, bears aren't allowed in the burbs apparently.....)

Back to the point, there is ZERO population of mountain lions in NYS.  PERIOD.  Nobody distrusts the NYS DEC more than I do, but even I would say they have zero reason to have some sort of cover-up that they do exist.  Just dumb if anyone thinks that.

Shucks, Bill, I heard about sightings when I was a kid in the 1950s and 60s...

There never seemed to be any physical evidence THEN either....Hmmm...

In all fairness, there were probably still some of these hanging around when you were a kid.

post-1188-0-91721900-1457114192_thumb.jp

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Yep.  I have been there with the wife a few times (we currently live about 10 min north of there).  Pretty sure the end of the boardwalk is up just around the corner from where the video was filmed and the cat didn't want to jump into the water... so it took the only easy way out.  My favorite comment was one of my friends who said, "I would have puma'ed in my pants"

Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEYx13G-YDI

Edited by BellR
  • Like 1