First Job ?

GreeneHunter

I love golf, so I love this. My grandfather was a member out that way at Lancaster Country Club I believe it was called. He could have bought the club for $10K but didn't have the $. Too bad!

If I remember correctly, he paid around $25 per year for membership back when barely anyone played golf.

He's 88 now and I play with him every weekend in the warm weather. He won't play from senior tees and still breaks 95. It's unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's great Biz.  I played with my gramps until he died at 97.  Only person I personally know that shot lower than his age - 90 at 91 years old from the regular mens tees.  He could only drive the ball 180yds on his best shot, but was always dead straight.  Enjoy those moments while you can.

• Like 3

As for a job, beyond cutting lawns as a teenager, my first real job was when I was a senior in high school.  Cant remember whether it was security at the war memorial (now blue cross arena) or a night club bouncer but started doing both around the same time and was paid $8/hr.  Pretty good money back then for a teenager.

I have a gay uncle whose first job was as a sock-tucker at a local hosiery mill.

Then he got a job as a cork-socker in a barrel bunging factory.

After that he got a job in a San Francisco bath house.

I don't know WHAT he did there.

• Like 3

At 13, I was growing buckwheat, oats, wheat, and hay which were sold. At 17, I grew truck crop and sold up on the North Tonawanda market . Cider sold for $1.25/ gallon and potatoes were $2/ peck.  Cauliflower and brussel sprout were $2. I we had a good fall, I would pinch off the extra shouts on the broccoli and make some real money, LOL.  I  always sold about 100 pumpkins for about the same price as now. I went to college on the profits and waisted the money.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

you have mail

Ha! Small world I'm thinking??

Do you have connections to Lancaster Country Club also?

Since u guys are from that area. My grandfathers family owned and ran for many years the feed/general store on penora street which is now penora pizza I believe.

First job was in 2002 as a sale associate at Chase Pitkins in the garden department. I loved the spring and summer just standing outside watering the plants getting to people watch (watch the good looking girls). Made $5.00/hr. and gas for the ole nissan sentra was $1.05/gal and $.99/gal on sundays. Wish I could have those days back stress free doing what I want without a care in the world. Now it is the old grind until retirement, man did I have it good.

You want to talk about people watching, when I was in college I worked at Macys in NYC as a perfume spray boy! OMG that was some scenery and $17 an hour in 1990

Speaking of NYC, welcome to skirt season2016 today! 80 degrees

I have worked at Burger kings, Kmart, Marriott, Pudgies pizza, SugarCreeks. I worked at Gold circle, I made $96 a week and my rent was $80 a week. Seems like I bartended once or maybe I was just there a lot. I worked at a couple deli's also. I use to also do odd jobs, painting and cleaning. I did try babysitting but that didn't work out to well.

I also use to finish furniture(Amish furniture), paint or stain. I was pretty good at that.

Edited by Paula
  • Like 2

My first job was under the table at a car dealership. I was 14. I had to mop the showroom floor, empty the salesmen's waste baskets, vacuum their little cubical offices and polish the cars on the showroom floor. I made about 3 bucks an hour. I took home about $50 a week……LOL!!

My first job was under the table at a car dealership. I was 14. I had to mop the showroom floor, empty the salesmen's waste baskets, vacuum their little cubical offices and polish the cars on the showroom floor. I made about 3 bucks an hour. I took home about $50 a week……LOL!!

I feel like I'm under the table every time I go to a car dealership

Since u guys are from that area. My grandfathers family owned and ran for many years the feed/general store on penora street which is now penora pizza I believe.

Never been TO Penora pizza but know of it. 

What's the deal Bizzy.........how'd your family end up at the arm pit of NYS from Depew to downstate?  :)

Never been TO Penora pizza but know of it.

What's the deal Bizzy.........how'd your family end up at the arm pit of NYS from Depew to downstate? :)

My grandfather was a chemist for Union Carbide and transferred down to Westchester County, so he moved the family from North Tonawanda to Putnam County in the 1960s.

The rest of his family is all dead of course by now. They lived in Depew and Pulaski. Actually I got a super old distant cousin named Caesar who is still alive (I think) up in that area, he has one arm and plays golf. He's probably 80s or 90s if still alive. Anyone know him?

As a kid in the summer I would go up and eat at fish fries. Larry, maybe you saw me as a maniac kid?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

My grandfather was a chemist for Union Carbide and transferred down to Westchester County, so he moved the family from North Tonawanda to Putnam County in the 1960s.

The rest of his family is all dead of course by now. They lived in Depew and Pulaski. Actually I got a super old distant cousin named Caesar who is still alive (I think) up in that area, he has one arm and plays golf. He's probably 80s or 90s if still alive. Anyone know him?

As a kid in the summer I would go up and eat at fish fries. Larry, maybe you saw me as a maniac kid?

Penoras pizza is a Driver , 3 wood and a good 5 iron from my house. Current owner has daughter my wife works with.

Caesar Gallis. Yes , know of him from LCC I remember him slowing play digging rhubarb and dandelions to make wine.

Penoras pizza is a Driver , 3 wood and a good 5 iron from my house. Current owner has daughter my wife works with.

Caesar Gallis. Yes , know of him from LCC I remember him slowing play digging rhubarb and dandelions to make wine.

Maybe that's him? I would think only a few 1 armed guys named Caesar in that area who play golf. He is a cousin of my grandfather of I remember correctly, so not sure how that makes me related to him. My grandfather sold or gave him the country club membership 50+ years ago

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

my first under the table pay job was throwing hay $4 an hour.but my first real job (getting a paycheck taxes taken out etc) was my all time favorite job, I worked 3 summers at Watkins glen international race track. I ran food from the kitchen to the manufactures tents, I would do set up and tear down of the tents ,tables etc. pretty much did what ever they needed. I could work 40 + hours in 3-4 days and then I would have the rest of my week to do as I want. I met a ton of nascar drivers and even met tom cruise before he was nuts, and man o man some of the things i saw at the that job, makes me smile still....and my pay was what ever minimum wage was in the late 80's

• Like 1

My first job/paycheck was from a local Chicken farm as an egg collector.Twice daily in between collecting eggs I would also have to clean the barns/coops I was twelve years old making 3.00 per hour.We collected around 10,000 eggs per day.When reaching into the nester/box you never new if you were going to grab an egg or rat also picked a bunch of softshelled eggs out of the nest.I can say this as much as a dirty smelly job that it was I brang home some good money as A young man.The money was just a bonus for me as I wanted to learn where and how the Eggs/Chickens were made.

When I was in grade school, my old man used to pay me and my sisters $0.01 for every complete worm harness we could bead, clevis, and blade, after dinner and before homework.

He'd pre hand-tie 1000's of hooks on wire and monofilament, and crimp the sleeves on the line end. We usually made $5-$10 each/week and got FREE meals and lodging for our labor,lol.

He also sold these to "Dustys" and many other tackle shops in the area, so I may have also indirectly had a hand in turkeyfeathers worms indirectly helping you catch a fish!

Here's a few I stole from work for my own tackle box before I "retired"!

I still keep a few in there un-open as a reminder of where I got my start.

Some will call this my allowance..... but trust me, it was a job,lol

100_1128.jpg

No idea where I got these from but you haven't helped me catch crap cuz mine haven't come out of the packages!

post-287-0-19864900-1457571414_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

This was my job when I was 15/16 I did the exact same job making I think around 3.50-3.65 per hour.I worked for what was then a private/Ford dealer in Pleasant Valley NY.The best was going to lunch with the sales to fancy places boy I thaught I was the Shit back then.

I use to pick Night Crawlers once or twice a week. A local boat livery was my buyer at $0.01 a worm. I made anywhere from $3 to $5 a night. I had a neighbor that would give me $1 for 50 worms when ordered on Friday and I had them ready for the weekend. 

• Like 1

I use to pick Night Crawlers once or twice a week. A local boat livery was my buyer at $0.01 a worm. I made anywhere from $3 to $5 a night. I had a neighbor that would give me $1 for 50 worms when ordered on Friday and I had them ready for the weekend. 

It's funny you mentioned this.My Dad would give myself 2 dollars for spending money at camp if I caught him enough worms for the trip.These days Crawlers are around 3 per dozen +tax.

No idea where I got these from but you haven't helped me catch crap cuz mine haven't come out of the packages!

LMAO!

If you send them back to me I'll autograph them for you! :mail:

That way you'll have a good excuse to get them wet to wash 'em off!

To Zem

Love, wooly

:maninlove:

• Like 4