First Job ?

GreeneHunter

Farm store at 14 paid I think $4.25.  First actual legal job I had.  Growing up it seems we were always enterprising.  We sold made up newspapers to kids at school, Glass bead necklaces, snow shoveling, raking, babysitting.  You name it for kid careers we did it.  No Idea how on earth I got where I am today but I think I need a reversed life map to straighten it all out in my head.

I love golf, so I love this. My grandfather was a member out that way at Lancaster Country Club I believe it was called. He could have bought the club for $10K but didn't have the $. Too bad!

If I remember correctly, he paid around $25 per year for membership back when barely anyone played golf.

He's 88 now and I play with him every weekend in the warm weather. He won't play from senior tees and still breaks 95. It's unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you have mail
  • Like 1

My father worked 47 yrs. on the south buffalo r/r. retired in 1979-80 as a engineer.

My first serious GF's father worked at South Buffalo Railroad AND was a Buffalo Fireman, both full time jobs.  He died a number of years ago, his name was Gordy Schultz.  He was a good guy...............

In my elementary & middle school days in Corning I was always hustling the neighbors on the block to mow their lawns with a reel push mower or shovel their sidewalks. Still remember one older lady that would give me $2, which was astronomical considering most gave me $1 or less. Moved to a rural area in Schuyler County during my HS days, so picking grapes in the fall was about all I had available to make any money. If I recall correctly, the rate was ~$0.10/0.15 per 8qt basket. First real full time job right out of HS was at a local Acme grocery store bagging and carrying out groceries for the customers. Pretty sure it was min wage, the number $2.85/hr seems to ring a bell. Then Uncle Sam gave me room & board and a stipend for 4 years.

Just as a reference, remember ~10 years ago having a hard time finding a HS kid to help me clear & pile brush on weekends for $10/hr, under the table. Kid that did end up helping me was great. We worked at least 5-6hrs every Sat & Sun, weather permitting, from April to about Labor Day. At the time I was ~60yo, so I didn't work him any harder than I'd work myself. Paid him cash at the end of every work day & had to give him a ride home, ~12mi. Got so much accomplished that summer I gave him a bonus, bought him a used Mathews compound bow. Kind of a pathetic commentary, but none of the other kids I tried to get to help me wanted anything to do with manual labor.

• Like 1

When was the last time a kid offered to shovel your driveway for $??

I did once. Me and my friend told the random guy we would shovel his driveway for $10 each. When we finished he gave us $10 total and wouldn't give us $20 total. What a waste, we were pissed.

Summer job was haying on a farm. Get up and go to Drivers Ed at the school and then head to the loft in the barn. Believe it was $5.00/ hour which was pretty sweet back in 1987. The next summer it went up $6.00/hour.

Worked at a nightclub as a buffet runner on Team Trivia nights when I got my working papers. Also did dishes and was the soda tender on "teen nights". Got plenty of phone numbers so didn't care about the pay.

From age 6 or so, I had some pretty heavy chores to do around the farm. Feeding and watering the sheep. Water had to be wheeled up to the barn from the house in a milk can in a wheelbarrow. Haying (I was the little guy up in the mow tramping in the loose hay when it was dropped off the overhead hay forks. There were all kinds of household jobs to be done too. For that I got a $1.00 a week allowance. Don't laugh, that financed my trapline which in turn bought clothes.

The first off-property job was at age 12, and it was filling and tying bags of wheat on the combine, and picking berries. 1st picking was $.08 per quart. Last picking was $0.10 a quart. I don't remember what I was making bagging grain, but I did ok. Oh, and the farm chores at home were still being done for $1.00 a week.

• Like 2

When was the last time a kid offered to shovel your driveway for $??

An uncle and myself did that on weekends when we were in our 20's (he was an uncle, but only a few years older than me. That was our drinking money. We got $10 per driveway to split. But that wasn't really all that bad back then.

• Like 1

When I was in grade school, my old man used to pay me and my sisters $0.01 for every complete worm harness we could bead, clevis, and blade, after dinner and before homework.
He'd pre hand-tie 1000's of hooks on wire and monofilament, and crimp the sleeves on the line end. We usually made $5-$10 each/week and got FREE meals and lodging for our labor,lol.

He also sold these to "Dustys" and many other tackle shops in the area, so I may have also indirectly had a hand in turkeyfeathers worms indirectly helping you catch a fish!
Here's a few I stole from work for my own tackle box before I "retired"!
I still keep a few in there un-open as a reminder of where I got my start.
Some will call this my allowance..... but trust me, it was a job,lol

100_1128.jpg

• Like 9

I did once. Me and my friend told the random guy we would shovel his driveway for $10 each. When we finished he gave us $10 total and wouldn't give us $20 total. What a waste, we were pissed.

see its jerks like that that are the reason nobody comes to my door and I have to shovel it myself. Like a chump
  • Like 1