RIP Merle Haggard

Pygmy

In my opinion, there has ever been a better singer/songwriter/entertainer. I am especially thankful today to have had the chance to see a live show a few years back at the Erie County fair. "The Way I am" was my favorite song for many years, until "Amazing Grace" knocked it out of the top slot a couple years ago. Even though he didn't write those two, he sang both of them as well and with more feeling than anyone else I have listened to. He really got into the Gospel music the last few years, which tells me he is probably in a better place now, and we will get to see him again someday. That certainly takes most of the edge of the sadness I would otherwise feel on this, his last birthday down here. He is very likely watching "that bobber dancing" right now, as there has got to be lots of fish up there in Heaven.

Very sad day for music for sure.Merle Haggard was my favorite singer ever.

Weather driving down the road sitting by a river/lake/pond/campfire or just hanging out his music was about life as it should be wrote/sang about.He will be Greatly missed.RIP Merle Haggard

I wear my own kinda hat.

• Like 2

I except his passing but if these country stations played more of his music to pay their respects it would be better.This is the Mans Birth/Passing day let's play him the respect that is do.

I was never crazy 'bout the guys tunes personally, but I know he left an impression on country music beyond what I understand.

Without the legends, we wouldn't have what we hear today... like it, or not!

Willie's Roadhouse on Sirius Satellite has been playing Merle non-stop since the word of his passing came out. They had planned on much of his stuff today anyhow in honor of his 79'th birthday. The man left enough recordings that they could play all day and not have to repeat any. WXRL AM in Lancaster played a nice Merle "song of faith" at 4:55 pm. Merle and Ramblin Lou are probably up there in heaven singing together right now.