Live from the turkey woods 2016

turkeyfeathers

It was a heck of a weekend, we were on birds both days and saw more when we went back out today for round two. Lots of gobbling today all day and yesterday morning early. I think WNY is officially hooked on Turkey hunting.

I'm done for the year with temps set to hit the 80's this week. I worked 18 birds this year, my son had a fantastic youth hunt and season with me and this weekend capped it all off. Till next year!

I am absolutely hooked now! I might get out this coming weekend, but Im not sure. Ill put a full recap of the weekend's hunting in my outdoor journal.

• Like 3

Was supposed to take my girlfriend out to try and get her a bird at my cousin's property but she was a little too sleepy to get up today..... So I decided to wing it and try on the property out back. All was quiet, I gave my flydown routine and a little soft yelping with some silence in between. About 5:50 I heard a distant gobble so I answered with a few yelps, paused for 30 seconds and gave couple more yelps, instant gobble back and a lot closer! I couldn't tell where it came from (had fields to my back and I was on a shelf with sloping terrain that curved around in front of me, down to another shelf). I waited 45 seconds or so and gave 3 yelps and another instant gobble, sounded like it was to my right. Problem is, I had a pine branch to my immediate right and knew if this bird swung hard right I woulda been caught with my pants down.... I shoulda known better than to sit where I did. I made a quick game-time decision and decided to move 15 yards to my right and face to the right where I knew I could get a shot. I moved, waited a minute and gave a few yelps... the gobble was so loud I almost jumped, problem is that it was over my left shoulder! If I didn't move, the gobble woulda been straight out in front of me. &*^%!!! rookie move! I got the gun up, clicked off the safety and watched for him. I caught a glimpse of him come into my view at about my 7-8 o'clock and he was looking hard. He was about 50 yards away and only problem was that there was a clump of trees between us. All he had to do was walk left or right and I coulda fired. I watched him for a minute and I heard another bird give a small "tut". Watched a hen walk right over to him and take him back down over the bank. Out of desperation I fired off some heavy cuts and yelps.... he gobbled 5-6 times in a row, to the point that he ran out of breath. I waited, heard him gobble again but he was further, then further, and eventually all was quiet. Dang.... got about as close to getting a bird as I could today without actually pulling the trigger. I will be in that general area tomorrow, but maybe 50-60 yards further into the woods. I'm praying he'll be roosted close by again.

• Like 4

Chased a Tom for a couple of hours this morning. He was on the other side of a little knoll and didn't present a shot. He double and triple gobbled and wanted me (hen) to follow him. After a while , he finally walked off gobbling . I guess it was his way or the highway.

• Like 1

Chased a Tom for a couple of hours this morning. He was on the other side of a little knoll and didn't present a shot. He double and triple gobbled and wanted me (hen) to follow him. After a while , he finally walked off gobbling . I guess it was his way or the highway.

A true Alpha male. Hens need him more than he needs Hens

Couldnt get out to hunt, had my 2 year old daughter. but at 1130am we went for a little walk to pull some cards out of the cameras.. sure enough in the middle of the tractor path on our walk, a big ol longbeard steps out and walks right to us! no joke, we are in street clothes and he doesnt have a care in the world that we are even there... After a few moments, he casually walks into the woods about 20 yards in front of us, does a 90, and walks parallel to the path, and passes us at 10-15 yards away!! i couldnt believe it, we were in the wide open .. lol  he was just watching us as he poked on through.. i could not believe it, that stuff never happens while wearing camouflage and purposely hunting! oh well lol.. it was cool to witness, especially having my little girl with me, on our way to ride the tractor and till some plots for the beans..

post-5238-0-80745200-1464020940_thumb.jp

• Like 8

good luck this morning guys, about to head out here in pa. starting next years scouting today since I tagged out on another good bird yesterday.  seemed odd setting the alarm for 4 am,,,, didn't work since I was up by 330 anyway but the extra hour sleep was nice.

So, I'm back after the "youth season" gobbler that I posted about on the 15th. The weather is much more reasonable today. I watched him strutting out here with three hens last night until 8:45. Got the blind and dekes set up in a planted cornfield. Last time I hunted here the hens all pitched down into the field. We'll see what happens...

• Like 1

What a downright bummer of a year. The clock is ticking with lousy weather up and coming. Pretty sure I've never eaten both tags since I've started chasing these birds years ago. Have seen some pretty neat stuff in the woods but no gobbler in range. Not sure where the 2 longbeards we saw in youth season went. Cripes I'll smash one of those 4 jakes we had going last week. Humbling