Selling long guns for a deceased friend.

A buddy of mine passed away this weekend. His wife asked me to sell his gun collection. Do I have to go through an agent to sell these guns or can I do it on my own. I looked it up and it looks like the buyer needs an official background check? Just wanted your thoughts on the subject.

thanks,

FL

she (estate) has to take each buyer to a FFL for nics check ..

Unless they are shipped; in that case they must go TO an FFL which is pretty simple.

I'm shipping a gun tomorrow to a fellow in Florida, piece of cake.

• Like 1

Very sorry to hear about your friend,best way to do it is talk to a reputable FFL and have them sell the estate.They will give you the best $$ and its all on them to do the legal thing.I would ask the FFL to get a list of prices of what he is selling then do some searching to make sure their prices are in line.Do some research and make sure the FFL is REPUTABLE!!!!!!

Sorry for your loss. The buyer, if local, has to go through a background check and the firearm needs to be transferred through an FFL. The buyer and seller both have to go to an FFL and show valid ID. (Drivers license, pistol license, government issued ID) If the gun is being shipped to someone, it has to go from FFL to FFL and the buyer does his NICS check at the receiving FFL.

The cheapest place to go is probably Gander Mtn. if there is one by you. I have done a few private transfers there. only $10 per gun. Other local shops want as much as $100 per gun. I don't know what Gander charges to ship guns out.

Good luck.

Sorry for your loss. The buyer, if local, has to go through a background check and the firearm needs to be transferred through an FFL. The buyer and seller both have to go to an FFL and show valid ID. (Drivers license, pistol license, government issued ID) If the gun is being shipped to someone, it has to go from FFL to FFL and the buyer does his NICS check at the receiving FFL.

The cheapest place to go is probably Gander Mtn. if there is one by you. I have done a few private transfers there. only $10 per gun. Other local shops want as much as $100 per gun. I don't know what Gander charges to ship guns out.

Good luck.

100 per gun? That's illegal can only charge state fee..10..

Hessney Auctions in Geneva (~5min off thruway) is having a gun auction on June 11th. They have them every couple of months, if this is too soon. You can drop the guns off there and they will do everything for you. I've sold through them before and have been satisfied with the amount that I've gotten back.

http://hessney.com/auctions/?az_feed_pos=www.auctionzip.com%2Fcgi-bin%2Fauctionview.cgi%3Flid%3D2705433%26feed%3D129%26group%3D0%26state%3D%26kwd%3D%26zip%3D%26category%3D0%26nojava%3D0

Sorry for your loss.

• Like 1

A private individual can (I'll be doing it tomorrow, as I already stated) ship any long gun they want as long as it's going to an FFL. All you need is a copy of the FFL's license in your possession.

USPS Priority Mai is what I use.

IT DOES NOT NEED TO BE SHIPPED BY AN FFL!!!!!

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 3

A private individual can (I'll be doing it tomorrow, as I already stated) ship any long gun they want as long as it's going to an FFL. All you need is a copy of the FFL's license in your possession.

You are correct sir…..Long guns can be shipped UPS, USPS,,Fed Ex if they are going to an FFL or manufacturer. Handguns FFL to FFL. I should have been more clear.

Depends on the FFL it is going to.Some accept private party shipments and some wont.The ones that will accept may ask for certain forms of ID but I'm sure they will give you that info before you ship.

100 per gun? That's illegal can only charge state fee..10..

Small shops add "service fees" or "processing fees"..illegal or not thats what they do. The last time I did a transfer I called a local, well known shop and asked what the fee was. $70!!! When I asked why they charged so much, compared to GM, the guy got real pissy real fast..His final  answer was something to the effect  "its a lot of work and thats what we charge". It does seem to be a lot of work for 10 bucks. It takes a good 20-30 minutes, and if its a hand gun, the FFL has to store it until the buyer returns with a purchase coupon ..

• Like 1

Depends on the FFL it is going to.Some accept private party shipments and some wont.The ones that will accept may ask for certain forms of ID but I'm sure they will give you that info before you ship.

I always include a photo copy of my DL.

I recently sold a few guns through a local shop that listed them on Gunbroker.com, I got more then I was asking for them....even after the auction fee and the gunshot taking their cut, something to consider especially if you have some rare or collectible ones to get rid of.

• Like 1

I've been wondering how our Governors new proposal of limiting private gun sales to one or two per month would affect the Estate gun collection issue?

Could the estate transfer all of them to an FFL for consignment sale or only 1-2 per month.

They don't consider these type of issues when drafting these "feel good" bills.

I've been wondering how our Governors new proposal of limiting private gun sales to one or two per month would affect the Estate gun collection issue?

Could the estate transfer all of them to an FFL for consignment sale or only 1-2 per month.

They probably do, but justdon't care

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I believe it is targeting purchases. I don't think the thought is limiting sales. They would be just fine with all of us selling everything we had, preferably out of state or country

• Like 3

I just brought 5 guns, 3 old hunting knives ( '68 Puma white Hunter ,Marbles from 1911),

A box of old ammo, a scope off my deer shotgun , to Hesseny auctions , mentioned above .

They seem very nice, they research prices ( the more it sells for the more they get )

and handle all the paperwork, nics checks and so on .

They said it all would sell, and prices seem to be around the retail valves , sometimes less sometimes more, but it tends to average out.

Time will tell, but I wasn't about to try and sell them one by one, meeting each buyer at a gun shop for nics check , dealing with no shows and , low ballers.

• Like 1

Joe Hesseny is a decent and honorable guy. I wouldn't hesitate to use him for a collection of guns to avoid the hassle of individual sales.

Unless you show up pretty early you can't even get in the door during one of his gun auctions, and they can get pretty lively. Good for the seller.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On May 16, 2016 at 4:40 PM, First-light said:

Ok guys I think I got it. I'll let you know what he has in a few days just in case someone here wants something.

Thanks again,

FL

So selling the guns never happened. I helped her out around the house a few times my wife cooked dinners and brought them over. I don't hear from her for months. I chat it up with a Police Officer and I ask him about my friends confiscated hand guns. says the Police will destroy them after a certain amount of time. I send her a text telling her this. She says all the hand guns and long guns were given to a cousin and he sold them. So much for that. Now my buddy also has a room filled with all kinds of mounts. Some really beautiful fish mounts and Ram. I bet ya the same thing happens. It's a shame I was going to hold a favorite gun or mount for his 17 year old daughter to have when the time comes. Hope they are all not gone. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...