D Day

Mr B said the exact same thing this a.m. ...young guys at work won't have a clue and the news rarely give such things more than a casual mention...Then Go all, Aren't we great for mentioning the last of WWII veterans surviving ...Well there are major events they survived and a reason for those events ...fools

Sorta on a side note. I've always suspected my dad of 92 was in WW II but never had positive confrimation as he's never talked about it. He has a 30-40 Krag with ramp sights I've thought maybe from the war. I asked my 2 older brothers and 2 older sisters and all were aware but said he declined to ever talk about it. Sorta feel jipped not knowing where he was but NOT going to ask if he's avoided talking about it for 70 years. My sister sent me these pics. Marine ! The only reason I got confirmation was about month ago he was in hospital and nurse asked if he was a veteran and he said "yes".

post-4567-0-82679800-1465216875_thumb.pn

post-4567-0-71693000-1465216899_thumb.pn

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 6

Both my grandfather's served and were both there on d day. One grandfather was on the ground, he took a round in his shoulder earning one of his two purple hearts that day. My other grandfather was in the air that day, he was a navigator. I always think how lucky I am they both made it through that day and the war, otherwise I wouldn't be writing this. Thank you to all veterans.

• Like 3

One of my best friends grandfathers were in WWII, I've been at family parties and listened to them exchange stories , the really interesting part is one grandfather faught for the states and other grandfather faught for Germany. There has never been a conversation I was more amazed with then listening to those two talk to each other .

Edited by Jeremy K

Unless it happens within the last 20 years.... history will soon be history.

Instead, these meaningful and important dates to our country will be replaced with new ones... like the anniversary of when you could pee in whatever bathroom you choose.

• Like 6

Mr B said the exact same thing this a.m. ...young guys at work won't have a clue and the news rarely give such things more than a casual mention...Then Go all, Aren't we great for mentioning the last of WWII veterans surviving ...Well there are major events they survived and a reason for those events ...fools

My Social Studies teacher in high school, said that people who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

• Like 1

Dad was in WWII , at 18 Y/O until his 20 Y/O bother was KIA along with two young uncles all around the same time .

Great Uncle was in both WW on a heavy cruiser that screened for the Enterprise at many famous WWII battles , finnally taking torpeto hits and sinking . He was plucked out of the ocean after an hour or so.

Uncle told stories , my Father ? I never even knew he had a brother till later in life....

I often think about that war and the men who fought it , and wether I'd have the guts to storm those beaches.

The irony is that we choose to forget D-Day but we choose to immortalize a guy who got lost, stumbled onto the West Indies then proceeded to rape and pillage the locals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was a kid it seemed like nearly all of my friend's dads ( including mine) had served in WWII.. They are nearly all gone now.

A member of my local American Legion Post parachuted into Normandy on D-Day...He is in his 90s now, and in poor health at the VA center.