Big or small when still hunting

upstatehunter

The topic of still hunting has been covered many times but I ask on a personal note.  When you still hunt, do you wear a hunting pack and so on or do you wear just hunting clothes and carry a gun.  I generally wear a hunting back pack with extra clothes, lights, fire starters and so on along with a shooting stick attached to my bag.  So the question is does being a smaller moving object make for better results, without deer seeing you.  Just asking your thoughts.  Thank you

I don't know about the smaller target but I do know when I'm hunting the adk's I travel as light as possible. My packing list is

-life straw

-leatherman

-10ft piece of 550 cord "para cord"

-extra small knife

-granola bar

-grunt call

-baby wipes

-gps

-2 compass's

This all fits nicely in the pockets of my vest. I don't think I carry 12lbs of stuff including my rifle and handgun.

When I'm hunting around home I carry a back pack that weighs about 30lbs and has 15x more crap in it than I would ever use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think it all depends on the hunter, and what he feels is easier to carry around quietly. I picked up one of those folding chairs from Gander Mtn. that comes with a back strap and a back support, as well as a storage bag for my items that I need to carry.  Like to still hunt around until I come to a promising spot then I sit for a spell before moving on.

I always hunt as lightly as possible... sometimes a small fanny pack if I'm going to be in a ways. Usually only what I can carry on my belt or in pockets. I want to be able to sneak under, shimmy around and climb over obstacles as easily as possible. Hunting light also saves a boat load of energy which may be needed later in the day.

• Like 2

I am in the light camp, for clothes and boots I go as light as possible but yet they must have the ability to keep me warm if I want to sit for a long period of time. For me a good pair of lightweight binoculars is my most important tool. Before I make any move I will thoroughly scan the area I am heading into so I will not walking into anything and get busted, like grampy said move slow and sneaky. It is almost always  during one of those glassing sessions that I spot game. 

Al

• Like 1

I'm 5' tall and try to still hunt, even read Asbell's book on it, deer see me first all the time.

My buddy is 6'4" tall and can practically walk up an touch them (he is largely American Indian).

So I don't think size really matters as much as skill.  The only issue I can see with backpack vs none is just one more thing to snag, rustle, or flash in the wood for deer to see and/or hear.  

Most of my backpack gear winds up in my vest and pants pockets by the end of the hunt anyway!!

Depends on where I still hunt....

in true  big woods  setting where I may be gone all day and have the potential of truly being out all night if I goof up, I carry a day pack with some extras...small light tarp, extra food( high energy type), spare socks....

If I am still hunting a more local  area I know well, I doubt I will  carry anything outside my pockets:  knife, fire source, cord, compass, a couple snickers and water bottle.

I am not so concerned about profile as I am the pack affecting my mobility and flexibility.

unless I'm going to sit in a blind I don't carry a pack.  if I'm hunting really deep in, like bigger woods state land, that might be a different story, but not often am I a handful of miles or more in.  more often I'm just a couple or less.  everything fits in my pockets.  putting on a stalk I've had stuff like a pack hang up on brush and other vegetation.  all day outing but not deep enough in I use a fanny pack I've had for years.  that way I don't pack the kitchen sink and regret it carrying it later.

I still hunt quite a bit. Lots of times Ill still hunt for a few hours and then jump in a stand for the evening sit, so Ill take a pack with me then. If Im going to be still hunting all day, pack is with me. If I am doing a short still hunt, then I just carry what I need in my pockets.

It's not size of your"target" but how you use the land and how you move.. I never realized this until this past year, a friend still hunted the ridge the day before.me. he walked the ridge in a straight line wind in his face.. didn't see a thing, I walk the ridge and see bedded deer all the time.. he likes to see so stays skylined walking ridge, dee may not smell or hear him but they can see him 300 yards away

I can see where he walked in the snow. I walk but on the opposite crest and only approach the ridge to peak over every 100 yards or so.only my head being visible to the skyline I stop.and.glass.and scan, Deer are bedded on a lower bench and bang get.my.deer.

That being said bring what you feel you need , big woods I'd have a compass, extra ammo amd signaling.mirror,fire starts and emergency foil blanket to go along with my regular gear.

Depends on what I feel like carrying. I've shot enough of them walking to/from my spot with my pack on that to me it doesn't matter. If I know I'm not going to sit anywhere and I'm not getting into anything thick I'll carry it with me so when I shoot one I don't have to go back for my gear. 

I bring my pack everywhere even up a tree.  Flashlights 3 because I usually stay till dark so I have to walk out in dark.  map, rope, knife, extra gloves, (cold weather/rain gear) clothes for when I stop and post or call, extra compass, pens, batteries, fire starters, lighters, GPS, radio if I am hunting with friends, phone if I have reception, binoculars, sandwich, energy bars, snacks, water, soda.  Orange vest in case I get lucky and have to drag, dressing gloves, hot seat and if it's below zero hand warmers, extra warm hat and large gloves to go over my skiing gloves. 

Add water purifier and single man tent if going overnight with a little more food.

As mentioned I do not think having a back pack will determine if a deer will see you.

I bring my pack everywhere even up a tree.  Flashlights 3 because I usually stay till dark so I have to walk out in dark.  map, rope, knife, extra gloves, (cold weather/rain gear) clothes for when I stop and post or call, extra compass, pens, batteries, fire starters, lighters, GPS, radio if I am hunting with friends, phone if I have reception, binoculars, sandwich, energy bars, snacks, water, soda.  Orange vest in case I get lucky and have to drag, dressing gloves, hot seat and if it's below zero hand warmers, extra warm hat and large gloves to go over my skiing gloves. 

Add water purifier and single man tent if going overnight with a little more food.

As mentioned I do not think having a back pack will determine if a deer will see you.

I'm pretty sure I don't even own that much stuff!! lol

• Like 2

It is a bunch of crap but when I am solo and a few miles back and darkness sets in I have no issues getting out.  Plus when I find a spot a few miles back and its 4 pm that last hour I have to put on all my clothes just to keep warm as I get really cold from hiking then sitting for an hour or more especially that last 15-20 min of light. 

I have gone lighter but found its just easer to carry it with me.  

I have gone in with just the gun a knife, gps compass, calls on lanyard and a flashlight but I always seem to need something not with me, like extra gloves or a hat to replace my soaking wet hat from sweat.  Or I find and extra parker would be great so I can sit the last hour in this great spot, but without it I shiver. 

So after trial and error, I find the farther back I go the more I bring, lol almost the opposite of what others do.  The flashlights and batteries are the most weight but I always get stuck in the dark, so its not an option for me.  Most of my liquids are done by 2 pm or I finish them on the hike out.

I carry a backpack with a reasonable amount of gear in it, hunting Catskills for all day (dark to dark) trips. Honestly, I like the comfort of using a fanny pack and carrying less but I deal with the slightly less comfort for the ability to carry a bit more gear. Mind you, I am carrying about half (or even less than half) of what NFA is hauling.

In terms of my effectiveness still hunting, I don't think it has mattered all that much.

As far as a persons size when moving thru woods, I would argue that a taller hunter has advantages over the shorter guy. For the reason that the hunters eyes are higher up. Better vantage point. My cousin is 6' 4 and can spot deer like a son of a btch.

more important than hunters size is his/her eyes. I swear that Some people are blessed with a better ability to pick apart the woods and differences in colors and shapes. I am colorblind and definitely not one of these people.

I bring my pack everywhere even up a tree. Flashlights 3 because I usually stay till dark so I have to walk out in dark. map, rope, knife, extra gloves, (cold weather/rain gear) clothes for when I stop and post or call, extra compass, pens, batteries, fire starters, lighters, GPS, radio if I am hunting with friends, phone if I have reception, binoculars, sandwich, energy bars, snacks, water, soda. Orange vest in case I get lucky and have to drag, dressing gloves, hot seat and if it's below zero hand warmers, extra warm hat and large gloves to go over my skiing gloves.

Your pack must be huge! Carrying that much would bring back terrible memories of walking way to far with way too much crap in the service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason I pack heavy is I usually plan to stay overnight, never had to yet.  Guess you can say the many lost hikers and hunters in these deep ADK woods puts the scare in me enough to be prepared for the worst possible scenario.  Better off safe than sorry when it comes to solo hunting.  To many things can go wrong if the circumstances dictate it and if it does it can be days before help arrives.