2010-2011 Winter of Discontent and 2011 Deer Season - What can we expect?

wztirem

•   White-Tailed Deer/Population Regulation, Management Goals  When a white-tailed deer population is near or above carrying capacity, ... Many deer herds exhibit this trend where the proper number of does is not harvested. ... depleted food supplies, and significant die-offs during harsh winters. .... extensive spike harvest could result in overharvest of an age-class. ...
    www.noble.org/ag/wildlife/deerfoods/PopulationMngt3.html - Cached - Similar

I think in areas they might be, but i'll hold off judgement till spring, had a good thaw in january but end of febuary/beginning of march is more important need a thaw then, turkeys have a much mor difficult time with a crust on hte snow...cant scratch thru.

In this area they seem to be doing fine. We have had snow, but other than drifted areas, it hasnt been that deep. I see the deer out digging in the fields almost every day, and there are tons of tracks all over the place. Ive been seeing them when I go out predator hunting, and they have all looked pretty healthy. Downstate, Im not sure about, they have gotten alot more snow than us this year.

I don't think you will see any changes. Winter kill is a natural phenomenon. It seems bad, but believe me, if deer cannot eat mast and whatever else they usually eat doe to snow, they will adapt and eat twigs, bark, and anything else they can scrounge to keep thier bellies full till better times...survival of the fittest...some weak will die...it certainly will not equate to a massive die off of the deer herd, resulting in reduced seasons. That would probably take a winter of cataclysmic proportions...

I mean, we think we have it bad this year, but realistically, there are northern states that would laugh at what we have been calling severe, and don't forget Canada...those places all have deer still in springtime, so I wouldn't get too worried about it yet..

Rich

most of the southern zone is agricultural with very little snow compared to some of the northern zone areas... deer will adapt just fine in the south where food is plentiful... if they get hungry enough they can find  the shrubs in your yard to eat  :D

plus.. didn't Phil the grounhog just predict only 6 weeks left of winter??

I don't think you will see any changes. Winter kill is a natural phenomenon. It seems bad, but believe me, if deer cannot eat mast and whatever else they usually eat doe to snow, they will adapt and eat twigs, bark, and anything else they can scrounge to keep thier bellies full till better times...survival of the fittest...some weak will die...it certainly will not equate to a massive die off of the deer herd, resulting in reduced seasons. That would probably take a winter of cataclysmic proportions...

I mean, we think we have it bad this year, but realistically, there are northern states that would laugh at what we have been calling severe, and don't forget Canada...those places all have deer still in springtime, so I wouldn't get too worried about it yet..

Rich

The quality of available forage not the quantity is the deciding issue.

where I am in the north, we have not had hardly any snow until last week. Before that I had 8 inches on the ground and maybe got a foot Wednesday.  As I have said in the past 2 or 3 years, you guys in the south get hit harder than we do.  Every noreaster until last week bypassed us.  And I think it has impacted the deer sightings in the south and improved mine here. 

Rich

The quality of available forage not the quantity is the deciding issue.

Not really..like I said, critters will eat what they have to, to survive..they have been living through tough extremes for centuries, and still carry on year after year. They adapt. I cannot remember DEC changing a seasons dates because of a snowy winter...but maybe they have, I just can'r recall that happening.

Quality of forage is relative...whatever they put into thier bellies doesn't really matter, as long as it converts to enough energy to maintain body temperature and keep the organs functioning. It is only short term, as there will be a plethora of better goodies to eat after the thaw...some won't make it, but most will.

Nothing here in Steuben that would  stress them much yet...

There's a little crust now and maybe a foot of snow, but nothing to limit the deers' mobility..

As long as they are mobile, they can get plenty of above ground browse...

At this point, thier fat reserves would about get them through the winter, even if groceries DO get a little hard to access..

It takes a pretty severe winter  down here ( as far as snow conditions go)  to affect deer survival very much, and we haven't had one of those in YEARS...

Deer seem fat and happy around Binghamton, had good food during summer and fall to fatten up on. Plus the last few yrs they have had a hurting put on them so the population is lower than its been in yrs. Buck I shot 1st day was still loaded with fat and Doe I shot during muzzleoader was nice and fat to. Deer will manely live off there fat stores in the winter for the most part from all my reading ive done on the subject. Its what they have done for thousands of yrs. A few scrawney fawns and rutted out bucks will probablly get nocked off but can't really tell till the spring thaw gets here.

They have been looking good here in the finger lakes hills....but since we received the rain then freezing rain they have moved pretty much off us and into the pine groves and swamps around us...there they have a bit less snow and the streams are still flowing and accessible...the problem now is the crust is thick enough for both yotes and domestic dogs to run on top of....from todays tracks ...they are out hunting big time....and we got another bout of rain then sleet and snow to top it off

Opps forgot the reason for pic....this is the last time we've seen them but....

that was a trail I'd found between water and a couple of lrg bramble patches....look and see the little twigs sticking out of the ground....all of them use to be 6-8 foot tall Elderberry brush...good thing trimming increases there growth in the spring.... :)

We have about 3ft on the ground in my yard up here, but, in the woods there is conderably less so its not so bad for the deer. We saw alot of sign while snowshoeing Saturday. Even with 5 ft snow banks they have still been in my yard almost every night eating left over acorns and so far have left the shrubs and flowers alone.

I don't think the deer are doing too badly here in Dutchess County despite deep snow. With the abundant acorn crop and fewer DMP tags this past season, as long as we get a decent thaw soon and no heavy storms in March, we should have a better deer herd in 2011 than we did last year. If winter snows continue through March... I think next year could be worse. The DEC has not done a Winter Kill Survey (at least in Region 3) in quite a few years. Other than their usuall butcher shop count I am baffled as to their rhyme or reason for setting the DMP allocation that they currently do. Last season I hunt hard and hunted at least two days a week through the entire season, collectively I averaged seeing maybe 1 deer per day - pathetic. All this and Less for a License increase to boot!

I had to go back and check to compare this year to last. Last year after season I found exactly 24 dead deer. My best guess was 50/50 split unrecovered and winterkill.

This year I'm happy to say I've only found one dead doe so far that appeared to be a roadkill. Quite the turnaround for the better and a bit of encouragement towards this falls prospects.

Generally the deer are looking to be weathering the winter rather well in my neck of the woods. ;)

Saw 15 doe behind my house tonight in the field, even though I never saw one during the gun season on the 60 acres I can hunt around my house. The deer really know where to run to when the shooting starts. Oh and they looked really fat and happy, one must have been the big 10 ( minus his antlers ) I was hunting this yr because it towered over the rest of the deer. They looked really good, compared to 10 yrs ago when they were starving to death left and right because they were overpopulated.

i dont think the deer herd really batted an eye by us here on the island. Even in spite of the harsh harsh weather we endured this winter i think the herd did great for the most part. i literally see deer everwhere and not to mention the sign is everywhere. its a good sign to see coming out of the tail end of winter... i am no scientist and for the most part the sign is speak of is around where i hunt not all over. but i cant see it being any worse, but hey you never know.