130 yard bow shot on a running animal

Core

I have no problem with shooting 40 and 50 at my target but have always been very conservative in the woods and it has cost me some P&Ys. I know plenty of guys that have deer on the wall that I wouldint because they took the chance. I had a absolute stud at 45 broad side that I let walk hoping to get a 30yd. two days later a guy down the road took a hell Mary 60yd shot and spined him on his second shot.  He has the deer. I don't!!   "Can't get them if you don't shoot and mature deer very rarly offer second chances.  So let the arrows fly if you don't shoot you have a 0% chance of putting that deer on the wall if you miss at least you tried, if you hit it you have a good chance at finding it. If you wound it big deal you will probably never see it again anyways. "    

I think he's right?  would you get another chance on a deer that's 4.5 - 6.5 probably not... not in my area anyways.. on Lee and Tiffany ranch probably  .   so I kind of see why it would be worth the risk on a mature deer.  Right phade? I mean do you think you would have that deer on the wall if you didn't take the shot that day?  It would be just another story of the one that got away most likely. 

Edited by Odorless

5 minutes ago, Odorless said:

I have no problem with shooting 40 and 50 at my target but have always been very conservative in the woods and it has cost me some P&Ys. I know plenty of guys that have deer on the wall that I wouldint because they took the chance. I had a absolute stud at 45 broad side that I let walk hoping to get a 30yd. two days later a guy down the road took a hell Mary 60yd shot and spined him on his second shot.  He has the deer. I don't!!   "Can't get them if you don't shoot and mature deer very rarly offer second chances.  So let the arrows fly if you don't shoot you have a 0% chance of putting that deer on the wall if you miss at least you tried, if you hit it you have a good chance at finding it. If you wound it big deal you will probably never see it again anyways. "    

I think he's right?  would you get another chance on a deer that's 4.5 - 6.5 probably not... not in my area anyways..maybe on Lee and Tiffany so ranch.   so I kind of see why it would be worth the risk on a mature deer.  Right phade? I mean do you think you would have that deer on the wall if you didn't take the shot that day?  It would be just another story of the one that got away most likely. 

Some people considering wounding a deer and not finding it to be the least prideful thing you can as a hunter. Other people weren't raised properly.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

I really can't understand why people get so upset watching one of the best archers around take a shot that HE is comfortable with.

Does Mr. Wells make this shot 10/10 times?

Let's say by some incredibly bizarre chances Mr. Wells shanks this shot, (heck golfers/quarterbacks/goalies/basketball stars etc do, right?)  do you think that video would be posted on You Tube?

Think Ol Tim has EVER blown one of these shots and wounded/lost his game? Nahhh.................

Maybe Tim took that shot because one of the guides was packing an '06 and being wide ass open country (not easy for darn sure) a follow up shot with a 165gr slug would end the hunt fairly quick? Bet THAT wouldn't make You Tube...........

OK got run, have at it fellas. :)

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

Guys 55 yard shot? Why not set up dif. And yes it is luck. Again let him shoot at unknown targets in front of people. If he can props to him. Now if everyone understood it was a freaky guy Itd be dif. Gotta see the guys shoot in front of us instead of on TV, than it might be more believable as a norm. Long shots mean your hunting needs work since you can't possibly get close enough. 

Luck? Hunting needs work? Please. I killed that buck less than thirty steps from his bed on opening day.

I knew he was bedding there, knew the only spot to get a shot, and practiced to make it it happen.

Your opinion on my hunting skill needing work is based off of some warped version of what hunting means to you and there is no need to project that onto anyone else. If you don't like it inside your head keep it to yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

Why do u say that. Farthest shot I ever took was 40 yards on a feeding doe, she made 50 yards. I respect the animal to much to just send a "hail marry" shot. Everyone assuming he took a hail Mary shot is just saying crap because they can't make that shot. 90% of hunters shouldn't attempt a shot half that distance, and if u respect the animal u wont, and if u don't trust urself dont. That simple why everyone has to b a "armchair quaterback" on this is crazy.  He made a fatal shot on an animal, that's it.I hope to do the same in 2 weeks just at hopefully at around 20-30 yards.

• Like 3

Why do u say that. Farthest shot I ever took was 40 yards on a feeding doe, she made 50 yards. I respect the animal to much to just send a "hail marry" shot. Everyone assuming he took a hail Mary shot is just saying crap because they can't make that shot. 90% of hunters shouldn't attempt a shot half that distance, and if u respect the animal u wont, and if u don't trust urself dont. That simple why everyone has to b a "armchair quaterback" on this is crazy.  He made a fatal shot on an animal, that's it.I hope to do the same in 2 weeks just at hopefully at around 20-30 yards.

You nailed it with armchair quarterback. I'd be willing to bet there are many among us that take risky shots every year but you'll never hear about those either. They just like to play ethics police online.
  • Like 2

I feel like the point is being missed throughout this entire thread. It has nothing to do with the skill involved in a 130 yard shot, it's that the animal could easily take a step or two while that arrow is in the air. That's a chance he was willing to take.

Did you even watch the video? The animal was already hit fatally, secondly the animal was running so yea I'm quite certain he knew the animal was moving. If I have a second shot at a wounded animal I think I can make I'm going to take it too.
  • Like 1

This whole thread is starting to stink like the Under Armor fiasco in regard to what's an acceptable way to hunt from everyones personal standpoints.

If you don't approve of his technique, or aren't capable of doing the same, then don't attempt it.., don't watch it.., and don't promote it. Stick with what you're good with  and don't worry about how everyone else gets it done.

The whole 'hunters vs. hunters' thing has gotta be one of the biggest black eyes for the past time we could ever NOT want to see happen.

• Like 9

We all take some chances.  I am not certain how many deer I have killed over the last 35 years, but it has got to be getting close to 100.  There was only one shot I attempted where I was 100% sure of making it.  Luckily for that doe, my gun did not go off when I pulled the trigger.  She was only 10 yards away.  My bolt froze up in the extreme cold weather that day after I had hunted in the rain the day prior.   I blame myself for that due to poor cleaning and storage.   Chit happens to all of us eventually.   If I think I have a 90% or better chance of a clean kill, I am taking the shot.    I would raise that number a bit if I had more opportunities, but currently that 10% risk is what it takes to keep my family fed.  

Everything happens for a reason, and it is very likely that doe I missed gave birth to a buck I took a few years later.  It was a probably a good thing that she got away.  I much prefer killing, butchering, and eating bucks.  There is too much fat to trim off them does and they don't come with grab handles to drag them to the tractor, or reminders of successful hunts years ago.           

30 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Did you even watch the video? The animal was already hit fatally, secondly the animal was running so yea I'm quite certain he knew the animal was moving. If I have a second shot at a wounded animal I think I can make I'm going to take it too.

Youre right, I thought the first shot was 130. Obviously no shot is off limits when youre dealing with a wounded animal

Edited by The_Real_TCIII
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, phade said:

Luck? Hunting needs work? Please. I killed that buck less than thirty steps from his bed on opening day.

I knew he was bedding there, knew the only spot to get a shot, and practiced to make it it happen.

Your opinion on my hunting skill needing work is based off of some warped version of what hunting means to you and there is no need to project that onto anyone else. If you don't like it inside your head keep it to yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, wooly said:

This whole thread is starting to stink like the Under Armor fiasco in regard to what's an acceptable way to hunt from everyones personal standpoints.

If you don't approve of his technique, or aren't capable of doing the same, then don't attempt it.., don't watch it.., and don't promote it. Stick with what you're good with  and don't worry about how everyone else gets it done.

The whole 'hunters vs. hunters' thing has gotta be one of the biggest black eyes for the past time we could ever NOT want to see happen.

I bought an Under Armour shirt last week, AND I'm wearing Under Armour sneakers at this very moment!

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 11:17 AM, LJC said:

The next guy  who wants to get into the tv hunting video business will now have  to  film a video at even farther distances to get famous. And new guys getting into archery are going to just because they think is easy no big deal  to take 100 yard  plus shots at deer  with a bow . When really 20 30 yards  is all you should be doing for the most part.  And Alot of guys have trouble at that distance. :) 

It's luck because you cant  possibly no where the deer is going to be at 130 yards and arrows don't move that fast like bullet 

9 hours ago, jjb4900 said:

I bought an Under Armour shirt last week, AND I'm wearing Under Armour sneakers at this very moment!

You don't shoot a bow at a deer at 130 yards for the same reason it's illegal to hunt with a short barrel 22 hand gun there not designed for those type of shots .