LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

Zach, I have been lucky with calling in my last two bucks.  First one I saw him heading in the wrong direction at 68 yards.  I was pretty aggressive on that calling because I had nothing to lose.  I even snort wheezed when he got closer but ready to turn back again.  It worked, but that was a nothing to lose move.

Last buck I did some blind calling (long grunt followed by a couple of short ones), smelled a buck eventually and gave it a few minutes.  When I didn't see him I did 3 short grunts trying to mimic what I have heard from bucks pushing a doe.  Seemed to work as the buck showed a few minutes later.

I think in some areas bucks are more shy call than others.  The more they hear hunters calling the more likely they will be shy, but a few blind grunts occasionally won't hurt, IMO, especially now through mid-November.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Good luck man. How was the blood still going at the end? No beds? Any clues along the way?

He basically seemed to take me on a tour of his home range across the street. Lots of scrape spots in some very Bucky territory. I just got permission from all the land owners. One pointed to a spot where shot deer often go to expire. I am still hopeful. 

• Like 7

No luck on my doe from last night spent 3 hrs down on my hands and knees in the leaves following a sparse blood trail that eventually dried up to nothing.I don't believe from the amount of blood that it was lethal hit. At the last sign of blood she was about 100 yards from private property and that's where I believe she went.I hate to draw blood on game and not recover it but I think in this case that she is not severely hit and will recover to live another day.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

So, about 1.5 hours into the tracking I lost the blood. That's when I phoned a friend and left a message. I scoured the area and realized the Buck had made a hard 90 degree direction change. I was back on blood. Then coming up to a scrape, I lost the blood again. It was a good half hour before I picked it up once more. Over 4/5 properties and a main road. the blood was just a fleck here and there.Apart from when he stopped, then it would pile up a bit more. I almost it lost in a lawn with lots of dew, diluting the blood. Just as I picked up the blood again for the 2nd time my friend called and told me to pull out and wait till the morning. The Buck was definitely doubling back on himself when I pulled. I marked the last spot and know what direction he was headed. Into a ravine with tons of thick stuff. I am hoping he will be right in there in the morning. I did hear some kind of commotion in there, but there was a bunch of squirrels running around also. Might have been him.

Edited by Papist
  • Like 5

So, about 1.5 hours into the tracking I lost the blood. That's when I called Deer search and left a message. I scoured the area and realized the Buck had made a hard 90 degree direction change. I was back on blood. Then coming up to a scrape, I lost the blood again. It was a good half hour before I picked it up once more. Over 4/5 properties and a main road. the blood was just a fleck here and there.Apart from when he stopped, then it would pile up a bit more. I almost it lost in a lawn with lots of dew, diluting the blood. Just as I picked up the blood again for the 2nd time deer search called and told me to pull put and wait till the morning. The Buck was definitely doubling back on himself when I pulled. I marked the last spot and know what direction he was headed. Into a ravine with tons of thick stuff. I am hoping he will be right in there in the morning. I did hear some kind of commotion in there, but there was a bunch of squirrels running around also. Might have been him.

Luna to the rescue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my way to the stand, I noticed a couple new scrapes that weren't there yesterday. Scrapes have been popping up all over. Never seen so many on the property before! Found 3 scrapes within 100 yards from the cabin! Can see the cabin in the background of the pic! LOL

1031161511a_zpshtxov05l.jpg

According to the cams, unfortunately 95% of the deer activity has been at night!

How to explain tonight..

It was the worst of Tim's,it was the best of times...ya 8doe and fawn 30 yrds away broad side for 48 min....On the other side of the fence...to add insult they were nearly hit 2x'scrossibg the road instead of coming to plot..T close..kicked up 3  in plot  didn't see in tall stuff and a buck on other side of fence,getting ready to jump.

Now for the best...I watch a cat hunt mice in our field while the deer were out there teasing me... I think may be that tabby I've had on cams all summer.I get to road to walk home and he's walking up the road in the middle..I step in behind him and see another Dark spot farther up the hill. Another cat in the road. I figure this tabby is someone pet for he could care less that I'm behind him. Just as that thought crossed my mind a silent dark figure swoops out of a large black locusts that is on our land...pretty good sized wing span. It hits the cat which screams and can't pick it up..as  it folds its wings around it .moving around as the cat screams one more time..I'm just standing there startled at first but in amazed at what I'm seeing. I look up the road and to see the other cat  running like a bat out of you know where...The owl hopped the cat off to the  side of the road.and I just walked past..Wow! Sad but so cool to witness...hmmmm pretty sure I now know what happened to the neighbors cat. I'm not sure I want to tell them that.

How to explain tonight..
It was the worst of Tim's,it was the best of times...ya 8doe and fawn 30 yrds away broad side for 48 min....On the other side of the fence...to add insult they were nearly hit 2x'scrossibg the road instead of coming to plot..T close..kicked up 3  in plot  didn't see in tall stuff and a buck on other side of fence,getting ready to jump.
Now for the best...I watch a cat hunt mice in our field while the deer were out there teasing me... I think may be that tabby I've had on cams all summer.I get to road to walk home and he's walking up the road in the middle..I step in behind him and see another Dark spot farther up the hill. Another cat in the road. I figure this tabby is someone pet for he could care less that I'm behind him. Just as that thought crossed my mind a silent dark figure swoops out of a large black locusts that is on our land...pretty good sized wing span. It hits the cat which screams and can't pick it up..as  it folds its wings around it .moving around as the cat screams one more time..I'm just standing there startled at first but in amazed at what I'm seeing. I look up the road and to see the other cat  running like a bat out of you know where...The owl hopped the cat off to the  side of the road.and I just walked past..Wow! Sad but so cool to witness...hmmmm pretty sure I now know what happened to the neighbors cat. I'm not sure I want to tell them that.

Awsome lol 1 less pest in the woods

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I always wear a green Carhart knit cap with my neoprene face mask underneath with the white Carhart emblem at the back of my head.. Two years ago bow season I climb in my stand overlooking my little meadow and just as that moment when it goes from dark to kinda being able to see I have this owl fly about five feet in front of my tree stand and land in the tree behind me so I'm checking out this owl thinking this is a pretty cool morning already I don't see to many owls around my area and he sits there for a couple of minutes and I kept looking forward and back to see if he's still there and as I turn he flys away,,, maybe a minute or two pass and the next thing I know the owl hits me full speed,, dive bomb style in the back of my head, my hat covers my eyes and I'm thinking the devil just came to take me and this was how my life was going to end,, what the heck could be in a tree and hit like a back hand in the back of the head like that,,, at that moment I realized what was going on when the wings started flapping around me head as he started to fly off,,, at that point I was pulling my hat off ready to fight,,, let's just say the rest of the morning I spent looking over my shoulder for this owl making sure he wouldn't dive bomb me again,,, that's why I'm not so fond of owls anymore and all I can figure is he thought that Carhart tag was some type of food and thankfully I wast hurt other than my pride ..

• Like 7

I always wear a green Carhart knit cap with my neoprene face mask underneath with the white Carhart emblem at the back of my head.. Two years ago bow season I climb in my stand overlooking my little meadow and just as that moment when it goes from dark to kinda being able to see I have this owl fly about five feet in front of my tree stand and land in the tree behind me so I'm checking out this owl thinking this is a pretty cool morning already I don't see to many owls around my area and he sits there for a couple of minutes and I kept looking forward and back to see if he's still there and as I turn he flys away,,, maybe a minute or two pass and the next thing I know the owl hits me full speed,, dive bomb style in the back of my head, my hat covers my eyes and I'm thinking the devil just came to take me and this was how my life was going to end,, what the heck could be in a tree and hit like a back hand in the back of the head like that,,, at that moment I realized what was going on when the wings started flapping around me head as he started to fly off,,, at that point I was pulling my hat off ready to fight,,, let's just say the rest of the morning I spent looking over my shoulder for this owl making sure he wouldn't dive bomb me again,,, that's why I'm not so fond of owls anymore and all I can figure is he thought that Carhart tag was some type of food and thankfully I wast hurt other than my pride ..

I've had them dive bomb me at night fox hunting...scary stuff never had one make contact tho couldn't imagine....I'd a spent the rest of the morning going to truck to change drawers

I've had them dive bomb me at night fox hunting...scary stuff never had one make contact tho couldn't imagine....I'd a spent the rest of the morning going to truck to change drawers

Let alone getting a hundred stitches

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I had one grab the toe of my boot one spring turkey hunt.lifted my leg off the ground.

Mr B googled this..apparently they like cat..but usually grab and fly their prey up very high and released to kill it...this cat was a pretty good size and he couldn't lift it..killed unsurprisingly fast ...at least it looked dead when he hopped away with it.

That's some serious organization going on separating by type. Mighty impressed. Anything in the Orange Reeses wrapper is my favorite. Ill be raiding them throughout the week. We had almost 250 kids tonight. Started handing out at 605 and turned the light out at 8. Only 8 pieces of candy left from  2- 95 pc bags and 6 smaller bags. Only handed out one piece per kid too. 

• Like 4