Don't shoot the messenger...

growalot

Don't worry Growie....Some of the "vets" like you and me realize that the damn deer can't read a calendar...

Neither can turkeys in the spring, but it seems like every year someone is worried about "something" happening before or after it is "supposed' to happen..

• Like 3

I've seen a few pics on this forum of trailcams with bucks breeding does already.   Doesn't surprise me. Not so sure on temps versus calendar year affecting them 

I dated this girl in HS who was in heat for 52 weeks a year . Wait , that's a different story but gosh do I miss her 

• Like 12

DANG, TF....It has been a long time, but as I remember it, most of them cooled down for a week or so about every three weeks...

Redwings never slow down.

Personally, I've been in rut since 1995

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really can't put nature on an actual calendar. It might be close, but you can't honestly pinpoint when animals will 'get the urge' so to speak. There may be those magical days or weeks, but, over all I think when it's going down, it's going down. No calendar can factually predict that. The only "science" to deer hunting is they are not always predictable. 

Maybe the deer have discovered smart phones and apps? Maybe they read up on when we think they should be breeding and decided to mess with us, get it done early and have a good laugh at us.

I shot a video last week of a little 6pt I rattled up into the corn field.

Two doe with fawns came to the field and he chased them around with his nose up their skirts. Then the doe got into a girl fight standing on their hind legs and biotch slapping one another.

No doubt in my mind they were knockin' boots soon as they hit the woodline over the knoll,lol

On another semi related yet different note... this evenings hunt on a different property saw 7 bucks still in a bachelor group following each other across the green fields like they were best pals from summer.

• Like 6

not uncommon to see smaller scrub buck exercising doe around this time of year... i was giving it another week or less to start hearing about it. smaller buck start feeling their oats a little early. ive got one on cam that looked like he was scooting in on a doe a few days ago. 

those doe arent even close tho this early, but it doesn stop those smaller buck pushing em up

• Like 3

Ive said the same thing about the deer calendar. If I hang estrous scent the middle of October and a buck smells it is he gonna question "hmmm that smells like a hot doe but it's too early, it's only Oct 15th so it must be fake". I think if it smells like the real stuff he's coming!  No pun intended. 

• Like 1

Buddy just text Has cam video of 2 nice 8's locking horns , ripping up ground and sparring for a half hour. May be an early rut from what we're all seeing. Let's fill up the freezers y'all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pecking orders in the heard start to get settled up when that velvet comes off. I've had bucks fighting and sparing since the first week in September, on a regular basis.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It seems every year someone sees this. I relate a lot to dogs. Some male dogs are just always rambunctious. Bucks can apparently breed all year long, guess it is possible a doe could be starting to smell good but Id think it's still too early. Nature has a way of keeping things in check. Even if somehow they possibly bred now the fawns chances of survival would way decrease because of the colder weather when it was born, lack of places to hide n being not at all dropped during predator saturation time which is one of the reasons most animals have young together timewise. The fawn if dead certainly can't pass on this bad gene of coming in too early. Besides it all comes down to the amount of daylight, increasing or decreasing triggers most things w deer. Does can come into heat twice a year if the daylight was controlled n a compete cycle done every 6 months. Than you gotta consider if she did smell good now why is only one buck chasing her when she's the only game in town? Guess it is possible n I'm not discounting your sighting

Edited by Bowguy 1

5 minutes ago, Rockspek said:

I've been meaning to ask you how the rattling was coming along

That was the second one to respond. Both little yearling 6pts so far, but I enjoy the action regardless of size when nothing else is happening.

I wanted to hit the horns last night for the group of 7, but I was on the ground and not in a good position if any of them approached. Gonna hang a stand there and see what happens tonight with them. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, growalot said:

Sorry I know it goes against what all the "professionals" are telling you...but I have buck here pushing and chasing doe...Anyone else seeing this...come on speak up....

Yes sir.. Seen this type of behavior in early October on more than one occasion.  You're not alone friend. I don't believe it's very unusual at all. I'm no professional but I believe it's all part of "pre rut" deer behavior. Young bucks sparring to establish a pecking order, and also these same bucks pushing does around here and there.    

• Like 2