Best expandable broadhead

LJC

All mechanical BHs have inherent performance or design quirks. Definitely a love-hate relationship. I've read horror story about almost all of them! Best overall single mechanical BH, probably a couple of the front runners mentioned above. It only takes one bad experience before you suddenly hate the one you've been using and it inevitably is on the BB of a life-time.

• Like 2

Rage often works. The problem is in storing them in a quiver. You pull one out n a blade is hanging. That's a problem. Also heard of one or two not opening. That head has more probs than the rest combined if you add the frequency. If you have luck w em keep on using them but if not play the odds for lack of failure. Remember NY is a few deer a year. NJ is unlimited in some zones. Many guys kill over 20 a year n 10 years in NY may be less deer use than 1-2 in NJ

• Like 1

I've used NAP Killzones the last 2 years with good results, 2 for 2 for dead deer. The last passed through the does shoulder and went through opposite rib cage but did not cut through the hide. That's the only bad I've heard of large cut mechanicals. But it made a mess of the does lungs and she went maybe 75 yards.

1 hour ago, Gencountyzeek said:

I've used NAP Killzones the last 2 years with good results, 2 for 2 for dead deer. The last passed through the does shoulder and went through opposite rib cage but did not cut through the hide. That's the only bad I've heard of large cut mechanicals. But it made a mess of the does lungs and she went maybe 75 yards.

When I started bow hunting I bought Rage just because that what I figured was the best...I hated them....Never shot a deer with one but every time I would look at the head the blades would be hanging out. I went with the Kill Zones and they have been great! The blades never come apart and I am 3 for 3 on deer with them....I have no idea if they are the best but they have worked great for me...

• Like 1

I don't think there is a "best" one.  They are all good and your choice will be decided on your own tastes.  I killed a couple deer with the SpitFires but stopped using them when the mechanicals came out that do not flip over (as the spitfires do).  On angles, I would be leery of the spitfires since they have to flip over first.  NAP and Rage seem to be much better on angles.  The NAP Trophy Tip style should get in there a good inch before the blades deploy.  Rage Hypodermic the same.  Better reliability on angles IMO. 

I have used NAP Kill Zones for the past few years with excellent results.  Personally, I did not like the Rage broadheads because they open too easy.  The NAPs open much harder.  But that is also why some people do not like the NAPs.

But I think they are all good.  NAP Archery has been on the market for 2+ decades.  Rage has been on the market now for quite a few years.  I think that may be the most important factor.  Whatever you use, put it in the crease and you should be in good shape.  Real good shape.

Edited by LetEmGrow

Rage Hyopdermic are nasty, nasty broad heads. I've killed 4 deer with them and all died in sight. All 4 with the same ferule and new blades. If you cant get them in and out of a quiver without a blade coming out, it sounds like you have the wrong quiver. Ive also been impressed with the NAP sling blade. friend shot 2 deer a double lung and heart both didn't go far.

Edited by Hock3y24

42 minutes ago, LetEmGrow said:

I don't think there is a "best" one.  They are all good and your choice will be decided on your own tastes.  I killed a couple deer with the SpitFires but stopped using them when the mechanicals came out that do not flip over (as the spitfires do).  On angles, I would be leery of the spitfires since they have to flip over first.  NAP and Rage seem to be much better on angles.  The NAP Trophy Tip style should get in there a good inch before the blades deploy.  Rage Hypodermic the same.  Better reliability on angles IMO. 

I have used NAP Kill Zones for the past few years with excellent results.  Personally, I did not like the Rage broadheads because they open too easy.  The NAPs open much harder.  But that is also why some people do not like the NAPs.

But I think they are all good.  NAP Archery has been on the market for 2+ decades.  Rage has been on the market now for quite a few years.  I think that may be the most important factor.  Whatever you use, put it in the crease and you should be in good shape.  Real good shape.

Yea I think if you make a good shot don't matter what use in fact if you pock one in the heart and longs and the blades failed all together deer will not be going far you just have to have the patience to wait for the perfect shot .

I may try one of the newer nap Expendables definitely want  to stick with that brand  I think .

1 hour ago, Hock3y24 said:

Rage Hyopdermic are nasty, nasty broad heads. I've killed 4 deer with them and all died in sight. All 4 with the same ferule and new blades. If you cant get them in and out of a quiver without a blade coming out, it sounds like you have the wrong quiver. Ive also been impressed with the NAP sling blade. friend shot 2 deer a double lung and heart both didn't go far.

That's what I was told. Wrong quiver. Jackhammers don't say that. Point proven 

Grim Reapers are the only mech heads I'll shoot at the current setup.

I've only ever had one non recovery with a grim reaper and that was every bit the Indian's fault and not the bow/BH. I will say with the number of kills I have with the head, a few of them covered up some shot sins. I think that is a big testament.

With the heavy arrow and high power shooters - the stupid large cut mechanicals do some damage. Moog shot a doe with the big rage head and I tracked the doe by lung parts and not blood. It literally lost a whole lung in pieces before it piled up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago I use to use the 100 gr. Rocket Hammerheads, flew like darts, but those small little rubber bands left me cold!!!

I have since switched to the Rage brand and haven't looked back. I first got their 3 bladed heads, only to find out that they are illegal here in NY. Why they didn't remove them off the shelves at that time, I don't know. Would od saved me a bunch of money since I bought two 3-paks!!! So the two bladed ones I currently own now.....

I typically shoot fixed heads (Ramcats) but with my new setup the blades came way too close to the riser at full draw for my comfort so I have 2 Rage Hypodermics and I bought some Spitfire Maxx's for this year, I'm shooting heavy arrows so I'm comfortable using big cuts. So far this season I've shot a coyote and a doe with the spitfire's and I am impressed. Both pass throughs and giant exit holes. Entrance holes are 1", exits are 5"... I went with Spitfire's because they've been around like 20 years, relatively unchanged, and I've never seen better reviews on a head (very few negative).

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

IMG_20161005_183311864.thumb.jpg.6d81848
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DanielT said:

Nap slingblade....rage too much $$$2016-10-06 19.47.54.png

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Yup! Picked up another 2 packages. Cannot beat them at $25/3 then a $10 rebate. They make the same hole as my rage hypodermics at 1/3 the price. There sharp as hell out of the box plus the blades are pretty thick. 

• Like 1