I need a new coat for stand sitting

ApexerER

I need a new coat for sitting in my treestand. Right now I have a great coat for when it is warm and not too windy and I have a pair of coveralls for when it is really cold. I need something for in between. I can layer under the coat I have now and make that work but I feel like I have so many layers on I can't move. Last Sunday was 50+ degrees and the wind was blowing and I was freezing because I didn't want to wear a million layers. Looking for something thin but insulated and wind proof for sure. I would like to spend $100 or less if that is possible. Any suggestions?

55 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I need a new coat for sitting in my treestand. Right now I have a great coat for when it is warm and not too windy and I have a pair of coveralls for when it is really cold. I need something for in between. I can layer under the coat I have now and make that work but I feel like I have so many layers on I can't move. Last Sunday was 50+ degrees and the wind was blowing and I was freezing because I didn't want to wear a million layers. Looking for something thin but insulated and wind proof for sure. I would like to spend $100 or less if that is possible. Any suggestions?

you wearing pants or bibs on you lower? I'd go with the layers. You are going to do better for the money doing that. I would find a good waterproof below the waist jacket and layer. It doesn't get better than layers especially in bow when it can be cold in Am and warm up a lot by noon. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

At that price ur not gonna find my insulated windproof jackets. You may be better off buying real good close to layer with. Under armour base layers like a 3.0 would be good, or try first lite they have merino wool base layers that others swear by. Just my suggestion unless u decide to spend more $$$$

All I do is stand sit so I do get cold...I have not been very good at still hunting....See a lot of tails..I am wearing pants not bibs. I have good layering...both under armor and merino wool. I like the under armor better. Then I have some polyester fleece but any wind seems like it goes right through me with the coat I have. It looks like there are a lot of non name brand jackets for way less than $100....Guide Gear, Habit, Field and Stream were the few that I was looking at. Its hard to tell if they are any good looking online. I am going to try and run to the field and stream store and look around today. If I have to spend more money I am not opposed to doing so to be warm.

• Like 1

I've layered before with a pullover windshirt designed for golf. They're lightweight and won't cost you more than $40-50. On a windy day without something to sheer the wind you'll get cold . Case in hand : own a Northface Polartech fleece ($180) I've worn this hiking in single digit temps with no wind and I'm warm. Have also worn in 40 degree temps with winds and froze. Seriously , check out a pullover golf windshirt. Dicks will carry them. Block the wind and layer. 

• Like 1

When it gets real cold, temps in the teens and lower, I will have 6 or 7 layers on, starting with the UA base. This time of year, I have an insulated Jacket that the sleeves can zipper off. So during bow season I have the sleeves off and wear it like a vest with a base layer and 2 or 3 sweat shirts under it. This layering allows me to stay warm in the morning and easily remove layers later when it warms up. And also keeps the bulk off my arms to be able to shoot my bow. Later when it gets real cold just zip on the sleeves. This was bought at Bass Pro Shops as part of a 3 piece jacket, vest, coat, and coat with over shell. It did cost more than $100 but it's versatility from early to late season, makes it worth the money spent. And I've had mine for a few years, it has held up nicely to the abuse I put it through.

16 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

At that price ur not gonna find many insulated windproof jackets. 

Very true!!! Might as well spend the money on a good coat up front, rather than go with a cheaply made coat.

Two items that are a must......Thinsulate insulation and a Gore-Tex layer, for being wind and water proof!!!

Well I ditched work for an hour and went to field and stream. I looked at a lot of jackets...seriously thought about just dropping the $$ on a Sitka and being done with it but I didn't. I didn't see what was so great about the scent lock and under armor for the money.  I ended up getting an insulated field and stream jacket that is wind proof and waterproof. Seems like it is quiet and has room for plenty of layers if I need them under it. I will put it in my pack and wear it when I get to the stand if I need it. It was $80...we will see how it works out...Seems like it will do what I was looking to achieve. Thanks for the recommendations guys...

I bought a Milwaukee heated jacket a couple years ago . It works fairly well for a long sit but that requires extra batteries . The batteries cost around $35 each . I have 3 batteries counting the one that came with the jacket . It has hand warmers but if that is turned on it eats up a lot of the battery . 

Less expensive to buy wool clothing and dress in layers . Carry some of the clothing with you and put it on when you get to your stand . If you are fully dressed walking to your stand you are likely to work up a sweat and when that stops , you will get cold real fast !

I absolutely love my bps cold weather system. I have the bibs and jacket. I had been scraping by with walmart outers and lots and lots of layers but I was still to damn cold in December.

With the bps cws I can just wear 2 base layers and be done.

I also use a muff now for my hands. Just need to get a slightly warmer insulated gloves for the cold temperatures.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, zeus1gdsm said:

I also use a muff now for my hands. Just need to get a slightly warmer insulated gloves for the cold temperatures.

Another muff advocate liker (  no comments from the peanut gallery ) . I never wear gloves even in the coldest of temps. Throw a couple of hand warmers in there and good to go. 

• Like 1

I have a "banded" brand muff as out the selection at the time it was the only one that fit around me.

It is a little small as opposed to the larger ones. I throw a warmer in the pouch and one in the muff itself. I wear a very lightweight glove as well. The cold still gets to me though. Cold fingers.

I'm gonna try a larger muff next year in hopes that more volume in the muff will allow the hand warmers to perform better and make a little oven..

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought sentlock bibs and coat from Dicks. They were both marked down to 69 from 99. Both are insulated but not heavily. I have been using Walmart stuff and layering underneath. The cold goes right through. My hope is this stuff cuts the wind and works a little better.

All my hunting coats and one set of bibs. came Walmart save for one which has a liner  and came from Milton in Batavia. Don't know if they are even still around. I wear long unders that are artic weight rocks from wally world ?  I through on the understanding then a wool sweater. The sweaters are Co prison sweaters. That's all I have on the upper. for the lower half it is long understand of the same and Ice house pants from ha band clothing in PA. Never get cold. If I wear the coat from Milton and put bibs from Walmart over pants it is too cold out for Eskimos . That's me though and I love the cold.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:14 AM, ApexerER said:

army issue rain poncho, cuts wind like a brick wall, Hefty bag if you don't like green