Range finding what do you use ?

LJC

Anyone else still using or have one of these . Iv been using this for the past 20 years  about 50/2 still works. 

Dont think they make these anymore now it's all lazer but the thing still works it's  good nice and light compact device.  usally I just range the trees around me  I am able to remember the basic distance to each . Faster then trying to range the deer when they show up .  

1476451046910-1263322549.jpg

I have a Ranging Range Finder put away somewhere . Not the model shown above . 

The way it works is by parallax ( I think ) . you line up the object you want to range . You will see a double image . You move the dial until the images overlap and look at the number which tells you the distance . I think it ranges out to 75 yards . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I have a Ranging Range Finder put away somewhere . Not the model shown above . 

The way it works is by parallax ( I think ) . you line up the object you want to range . You will see a double image . You move the dial until the images overlap and look at the number which tells you the distance . I think it ranges out to 75 yards . 

Yep that is  how they work 

Simmons entry level, the "600 yard" version, which has a range of WAY less than 600 yards in reality.

It's fine for what it is but to be taken seriously as a rangefinder particularly for bowhunting it needs the following mods, which I did the day I bought it:

1) Needs a loop so that it can be pulled from the belt case properly
2) Velcro is absolute garbage for a range finder when you're potentially in quiet woods at close distance to your game. What a laugh! So, the velcro has to be taped over and underneath the tape several rare-earth magnet disks must be placed on both the latch and the case itself. Now you have a perfectly quiet magnetized case that won't spook anything and makes no noise.

33 minutes ago, Core said:

Simmons entry level, the "600 yard" version, which has a range of WAY less than 600 yards in reality.

It's fine for what it is but to be taken seriously as a rangefinder particularly for bowhunting it needs the following mods, which I did the day I bought it:

2) Velcro is absolute garbage for a range finder when you're potentially in quiet woods at close distance to your game. What a laugh! So, the velcro has to be taped over and underneath the tape several rare-earth magnet disks must be placed on both the latch and the case itself. Now you have a perfectly quiet magnetized case that won't spook anything and makes no noise.

The thing with any range finder that makes me not get a new one is I would be scared that by the time I get the range what ever your shooting at maybe gone for me personally I rather just eye ball the range when gun hunting and when bow hunting  mark off before hand trees in the distance and just take shots under 30 yards .

I use a bushnell bone collector range finder. Once I get setup I range trees all around me.. I then continually go over those mentally every 20 minutes or so so it's fresh. If I was hunting a field I guess I'd have to range the animal as it came in.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I still have my bushnell bone collector i purchased about 6 years ago. though last fall i accidentally dropped it in the lawn heading to a stand, and about 5 days later ran it over with the exmark, found it and it still works lol Just has a couple dashes missing when the readout shows yardage. 

My wife bought we a Nikon laser range finder for Valentines Day.. not sure which model but its tiny and nice.

Had an older Bushnell.  Debris got inside.  Still worked but annoying to see those little specks whenever I looked through them.  Sent it into Bushnell.  They wouldn't replace fully since the model was no longer in production.  Offered to exchange it for a current model at a discounted price.  I forked over a little extra money and got the Bushnell The Truth with the Arc Compensation thingamajig.  Not completely happy with Bushnell's warranty as the discount wasn't all that great.

On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Core said:

That's what I have as well...works perfectly fine to range trees in my bow range...never did anything with my case other than remove the range finder from it and throw it in my backpack