One lung hit. Thoughts?

NonTypical

So I just came across this pic. It was shot on Saturday as well, just not sure where. Anyway the shot placement looks to be almost exactly where I hit my buck. Funny thing is, even the rack looks identical to mine. 

If anyone were to guess, was the hit the top of the lungs, no mans land or backstrap?

IMG_0341.PNG

I hit a buck high along spine. 3 yards from the tree...he wobbled off into golden rod. Not one drop of blood . I went to where I'd watched him enter golden rod and tracked him by prints alone..Then got into a mess of prints and did a broken brush and squat scanning search . This until I found belly. He had turned and was headed back toward the stand 200 yards away. One lung,but nicked artery

Ok. I get it. But what I'd like to know is what killed the deer in the above pic? There is no blood coming out of his mouth or nose. It looks like a high hit.. Possible blackstrap like some have suggested where I hit mine? Or with a slight downward angle, enough to clip the top of one lung or maybe even both?

Im not obsessing, but I have been thinking about it step by step, considering what I saw and what people suggested, and what transpired after the shot, so that this doesn't happen again. 

• Like 1

that shot looks like an artery hit.the thing with that is they usually die fast. if you hit the top of the lung it takes time for the lung to fill up.i did that once i have a habit of walking the blood trail weather i see the deer drop or not there was no blood until i gut him. 

• Like 1

So I spoke to the guy who shot the buck that I posted above. He said he nicked a lung and got the liver. It was a nearly identical shot as mine. That would possibly explain why I had only a few bubbles and the blood was a bit darker. I kind of feel a little better and a bit more hopeful that I still may find him. I'm going to stick to my plan and keep looking. If he died I should be able to find him this week. I have an app on my phone that tracks where I've been through the thick stuff. I'm not giving up yet. Thanks everybody for your help. I'll keep you posted if I find him. 

• Like 3

So I spoke to the guy who shot the buck that I posted above. He said he nicked a lung and got the liver. It was a nearly identical shot as mine. That would possibly explain why I had only a few bubbles and the blood was a bit darker. I kind of feel a little better and a bit more hopeful that I still may find him. I'm going to stick to my plan and keep looking. If he died I should be able to find him this week. I have an app on my phone that tracks where I've been through the thick stuff. I'm not giving up yet. Thanks everybody for your help. I'll keep you posted if I find him. 

Good luck! You'll find him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

IMO "no mans land" doesn't exist when you hit a lung, high, and from elevation.  there's a good chance you've hit other stuff.  it's a dead deer on the run.  problem is depending on how much you pushed or the deer's desire it can go a really long ways.  one lung hits I've seen to live are hit low at a steep angle.  both high or low can get greasiness fat on the arrow.  just my experience.  no mans land to me is backstraps further back behind the diaphragm.  you're between the spine and the intestines but in meat.  I've seen deer walk and act normal hit there with a 3" diameter hole in them.  only to be taken weeks later during regular gun season.

On 10/29/2016 at 6:57 PM, NonTypical said:

So who has actually recovered a deer with a one lung hit? How far can they go?i have heard of deer surviving with one lung, but I was really hoping otherwise. 

I hit a deer 1 lung and it didn't go far. Only thing is it was directly beneath me and it went in the top of the lung and exited out the bottom towards the arm pit. It was a large doe she went about 70 yards and piled. How much blood did it start out with power painter type blood or droplets? Did it enter the side of the deer and exit out the opposite side, so it didn't enter and exit the same side of the deer like a glancing shot? Did it truly go 400 yards? That is a long way for a single lung hit, unless it was just purely a tenderloin hit.

This is a 1 lung and aortic. In the top photo you can see the tip of the shoulder blade.

DSC_0641_zpsauknxstj.jpg

DSC_0634_zpsmzjggdin.jpg

Edited by chas0218

How quickly,and I was wondering how long it would take,we forget. One of the first post this season..."someone shot my buck" and the ensuing photo's of said broad-head nearly through the opposite shoulder on a deer that was shot last year but killed this....

Edited by growalot

2 hours ago, Taylormike said:

The buck in the pic has massive lung damage.  When the lungs are fully inflated they actually go higher then the spine.  If you hit that Mark, especially from treestand, I think you got both lungs.  That's a great shot!

Actually they are higher fully inflated or not.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well,
Bringing this one back to the top. I shot a doe today. I hit right behind the shoulder on the high side but definitely in money. It was a 28 yard shot I aimed a little high with my 20 yard pin. Hit right where I aimed. Arrow looked like it didn't go in far. Turns out it must have hit bone on the other side of the cavity. Finding the arrow looks like it went in 10 inches to a foot. I waited two hours. Had blood twenty yards from the hit. And it was a steady walk to follow. Bright red with bubbles. I followed for 500 yards and then the blood slowed to a drop here and there to lost blood. I'm guessing I hit one lung. But damn that deer ran full speed for 200 yards, up hill down hill, up hill. I'm at a loss what does it take to kill a deer?

1a84cc5f8182547c7c090b0383d7c938.jpg
This is a picture of a puddle in the area where I lost site of the deer around 200 yards.

Well,
Bringing this one back to the top. I shot a doe today. I hit right behind the shoulder on the high side but definitely in money. It was a 28 yard shot I aimed a little high with my 20 yard pin. Hit right where I aimed. Arrow looked like it didn't go in far. Turns out it must have hit bone on the other side of the cavity. Finding the arrow looks like it went in 10 inches to a foot. I waited two hours. Had blood twenty yards from the hit. And it was a steady walk to follow. Bright red with bubbles. I followed for 500 yards and then the blood slowed to a drop here and there to lost blood. I'm guessing I hit one lung. But damn that deer ran full speed for 200 yards, up hill down hill, up hill. I'm at a loss what does it take to kill a deer?
1a84cc5f8182547c7c090b0383d7c938.jpg&key=a134e3a9b3d0c85242b1c90c356d5e7309e7df45bef9fa807595cd4a85faa031
This is a picture of a puddle in the area where I lost site of the deer around 200 yards.

That deer is dead no doubt about it... keep looking or call deer search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went back in the afternoon and grid pattern searched, found nothing. Lost the blood trail completely. The deer may have crossed the road into a housing development. But I can't find any evidence that it did.
It's very bothersome to lose any deer. This was a doe but still as a responsible hunter it kills me to have a deer travel that far wounded that badly. This happened to me last year. I tracked a buck for a half mile didn't push it once. It just never stopped. I have lost confidence in the broad heads I use. I am not saying they aren't good, just that I can't continue to hunt with them.
I am going to look at fixed blades. I've heard they provide more kinetic energy and I know that whatever they hit the blades will do the job

The broadhead doesn't provide any kinetic energy, a less than ideal hit on these deer is what caused the deer to go so far. A one lung hit is a one lung hit, doesn't matter much what head you use. Consider going to a heavier arrow if penetration is a concern.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I 1 lunged my buck last week with the ML and a Shockwave.  Slightly quartering towards. I hit exactly and off about an inch from where I wanted.   It bedded about 40 yards from sight of impact. No blood on the bed but bedding that quick I was sure I had a good hit. I bumped it by accident as I saw a brown clump in the thick stuff  and thought he was down. He raised his head and took off. After a few hundred yards I found great blood blowing out both sides. 1000 yards from where it started I caught up to him bedded with back towards me. He raised his head and I put him to rest with .44 thru the neck. Some deer may fall right over and it seems some are invincible. Tough creatures for sure.

• Like 3