Finally came together today..

OldNewbie

As my name says I'm an old newbie. At 61 years of age, this is my second season deer hunting, and first with bow and crossbow. I got into it late last year, gun hunted state land (8W), saw 1 deer, shot nothing. This year I've hunted a few hours several times a week since October 1. I had an early disappointment - shoulder shot a deer that we couldn't find - and since then none of the deer would give me a profile that I was comfortable shooting. Drew on a 4-point three times in one day, but let it walk. I was really starting to think I might get nothing again this year. But today that changed, and I brought home my first ever whitetail!  It's not a trophy - just an average doe - but for me it's 'success'. I won't bore you with the details but it was a 25 yd shot from a ground blind with my Hickory Creek mini-vertical crossbow. My first time field dressing a deer too. I'll just say, hard to remember those YouTube videos in the moment, but I got through it. Was surprised how easy it was to drag with lots of leaves on the forest floor. Best of all it only went maybe 20 yards and the total drag to a trail where I could get it on my tractor was maybe 40-50 yards. I had two goals for the season: to take a doe and a buck, one on crossbow, the other compound. So one down, one to go. Thanks to all who responded to my calls for advice.. couldn't have done it without you.  (BTW the wound on the upper shoulder is exit, not entrance. Was lower on the other side.)

First deer 11_14-16 (2).JPG

Edited by OldNewbie
  • Like 20

2 hours ago, OldNewbie said:

As my name says I'm an old newbie. At 61 years of age, this is my second season deer hunting, and first with bow and crossbow. I got into it late last year, gun hunted state land (8W), saw 1 deer, shot nothing. This year I've hunted a few hours several times a week since October 1. I had an early disappointment - shoulder shot a deer that we couldn't find - and since then none of the deer would give me a profile that I was comfortable shooting. Drew on a 4-point three times in one day, but let it walk. I was really starting to think I might get nothing again this year. But today that changed, and I brought home my first ever whitetail!  It's not a trophy - just an average doe - but for me it's 'success'. I won't bore you with the details but it was a 25 yd shot from a ground blind with my Hickory Creek mini-vertical crossbow. My first time field dressing a deer too. I'll just say, hard to remember those YouTube videos in the moment, but I got through it. Was surprised how easy it was to drag with lots of leaves on the forest floor. Best of all it only went maybe 20 yards and the total drag to a trail where I could get it on my tractor was maybe 40-50 yards. I had two goals for the season: to take a doe and a buck, one on crossbow, the other compound. So one down, one to go. Thanks to all who responded to my calls for advice.. couldn't have done it without you.  (BTW the wound on the upper shoulder is exit, not entrance. Was lower on the other side.)

First deer 11_14-16 (2).JPG

Congrats on your first ever deer!

• 2 weeks later...