Missing bow season

nodeerhere

10 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Never bow hunted but everyone says the same as you. Next year I'll be out there. 

If you like bowhunting. Try spring turkey hunting if you haven't. No better time to be in the woods " deer hunting fills my freezer but turkey hunting fills my heart " I've always said. 

I love spring turkey. Nothing like getting a gobbler going. But bow hunting is what I live for. U are missing out big time. U will love it. Deer are doing there own thing. Not running scared. I've seen 8 different bucks in a day before during the rut. Awesome stuff. Really hope u get into it. Can't wait to talk to u next fall if u do. Can't wait for may1st 

• Like 1

Already looking at crossbows for next year.... With the "super moon" we had this year, i had never seen bucks going so crazy during the rut, and i had a monster buck just out of bow range and cruisin... Didn't see a buck older than 1 year old all of gun season!!!

3 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Spring turkey , my wife has been asking me to take her turkey hunting since we were dating, something always comes up.

I remember calling in a gobbler for my wife. Big tom. She killed it. The whole experience is a very fond memory. What made it great was that the guy who owned the local sporting goods store came striding across the field saying..."didn't you hear me calling?" If you hadn't shot that bird I would have killed him." I just laughed and laughed. He was a decent guy, but what we used to call a big blowhard. I said, "Denny...you just made this a perfect day!"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Spring turkey , my wife has been asking me to take her turkey hunting since we were dating, something always comes up.

Take her! Make the time! I really liked having my g/f as a hunting buddy the few times she went out with me this deer season with the rifle.

I miss the weather for early bow too! I got out once for the late season, fingers are still thawing out. I need to get better cold weather gear for next years late bow season.

48 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Take her! Make the time! I really liked having my g/f as a hunting buddy the few times she went out with me this deer season with the rifle.

I miss the weather for early bow too! I got out once for the late season, fingers are still thawing out. I need to get better cold weather gear for next years late bow season.

It seems like it's always some kind of family function or something she doesn't Want to miss, I'm always ok with missing functions to go hunting.

11 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

It seems like it's always some kind of family function or something she doesn't Want to miss, I'm always ok with missing functions to go hunting.

I would miss Christmas if the deer season was still going on! I am not a big fan of holidays that don't involve camping and cooking over a fire! Anyway.... If you actually want her out there with you, you have to find a medium ground to get her interest peaked out. 

Never bow hunted but everyone says the same as you. Next year I'll be out there. 
If you like bowhunting. Try spring turkey hunting if you haven't. No better time to be in the woods " deer hunting fills my freezer but turkey hunting fills my heart " I've always said. 

One of my brothers is the same way, if he had to choose either deer or turkey hunting, he would choose turkey. I love bowhunting deer during the rut. My favorite time to be in the woods. However turkey hunting is a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, hunterdan44 said:

One of my brothers is the same way, if he had to choose either deer or turkey hunting, he would choose turkey. I love bowhunting deer during the rut. My favorite time to be in the woods. However turkey hunting is a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's like choosing between two beautiful women, a blonde and a brunette. Hell, they are both beautiful to me!:rolleyes: Just glad they are on the opposite side of the year from each other so there is no conflict!

• Like 2

My g/f isnt into it.went with me once on a hunt.thats it.so its my peace n tranquility to become one with the woods.i tell her the night before i wont be home when you get up,you know where ill be.her response is"ya i know,what time do you think ull be home".my response is."depends if im dragging a deer or not"ha.wish she would get into it but is what it is.i know its in my blood for sure!

I didn't take up bow hunting until I was older (in my 40's) and my young son at the time became very interested in hunting with a bow. Additionally, I have my own property and decided to get some more use out of it to compensate me for the high property taxes we pay in this state. Boy did i get an awakening. I began to see huge bucks that I had never seen before and that disappeared as soon as gun season started. My first buck with a bow turned out to be the biggest buck I have ever taken. I had actually seen this buck several times and saw him run off all the other bucks on my property before I took him. I have taken many nice deer since. I enjoy the beautiful Fall colors during the early bow season, the mild weather, and the additional challenge and satisfaction of taking deer with a bow. As for my son who is now a young married man, he is addicted to bow hunting and takes all of his vacation during bow season.

valoroutdoors.com

Edited by CharlieNY
Add
  • Like 3

Love bow season . Bow to me is for killing bucks,hunting them while they're " natural " and gun is for taking my daughter, hunting with friends at different spots,  taking does if I want more meat or to give away ,and the thought that perhaps I'll get a crack at a buck larger then my bow buck ,largely  because he messes up .

Warm weather , lots of bucks on their feet after the does, falls colors, undisturbed deer, and in my opinion an easier way to kill nice bucks , what's not to like ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

Love bow season . Bow to me is for killing bucks,hunting them while they're " natural " and gun is for taking my daughter, hunting with friends at different spots,  taking does if I want more meat or to give away ,and the thought that perhaps I'll get a crack at a buck larger then my bow buck ,largely  because he messes up .

Warm weather , lots of bucks on their feet after the does, falls colors, undisturbed deer, and in my opinion an easier way to kill nice bucks , what's not to like ?

I would like it more if a crossbow could be used from the start of archery season.   It is nice that the NZ opens earlier than the SZ, so at least there are 17 good days (including the peak of the rut) for me to use my crossbow in NY state.   I would upgrade my equipment a bit, if they would let us use it all the way thru archery season.   The $250 outfit I have now is just about right for 17 days.   Having the rest of archery would make it much easier to fill my DMP's with my crossbow and it looks like I will be eating a couple of those unless a shot presents itself this afternoon.