Longer gun season?

nodeerhere

Review data on the current set-up after 10 years and adjust season, if required. Need hunter input thrown into the mix during this time span. Make it a requirement that all deer hunters report in honestly on how each person did, harvest or not. Sometimes I wish it were 2 weeks bow and 3 weeks gun again to keep things simple....ahh the memories.

24 minutes ago, Grizz1219 said:

Extending silly season is useless.... won't increase anything but pressure on the deer herd.... Sorry, I am no fan of the guys I see out there hunting from trucks, taking shots they have no business trying, etc... If anything, shorten it... 

Silly season!!! Love it!!!! So true. 

2 hours ago, stubby68 said:

My brother lives in Nebraska. He is able to hunt deer from September 1 to December 31. Bow, riffle, muzzle  loader. Not separate seasons all run together. There are a few areas that are bow only though. He has taken 7 so far and is still out there. Which weapon he uses is up to him. That is a way longer gun season then ny.

I don't remember saying "the" longest. I said one of. iirc you're not a bowhunter, but the last thing any bowhunter wants is the orange army during what is one of the most magical times of the year.

• Like 1

and as someone who hunted Mississippi for 2 years, the longer seasons down south are not just because they're "hunter friendly", the rut in northern MS hit at Christmas. Can you imagine that? Christmas was the best week to be in the woods, and the further south you went the later it got. The longer seasons are almost exclusively due to the breeding cycle and the fact that the winters are much shorter/harsher. It's almost impossible to kill a deer in October unless you're hunting food plots.

2 hours ago, Belo said:

I don't remember saying "the" longest. I said one of. iirc you're not a bowhunter, but the last thing any bowhunter wants is the orange army during what is one of the most magical times of the year.

You're  correct you didn't  say longest. My mistake. No I'm  not a bow hunter, doesn't have anything to do with it.  All seasons does not seem to hurt the hunting for my brother. He hunts with all 3 weapons. I have visited him and talked hunting with him and others who live and hunt there. None of them have a problem with it. They like having the choice to use what ever weapon they chose to on any given day. Why should it be a problem to have guns and bows in the woods at the same time?

4 hours ago, Grizz1219 said:

I know a lot of good gun hunters for sure.. but holy hell, I see some of the least sportsmen like activity and every year I think it can't get worse and it does.... Just sad.... 

I feel bad for you guys that see so much bad from people during gun season. I am surely glad I do not hunt the areas you guys do. Are there a few jack wagons out there? Sure are but few and far between.Do I hear stories from hunters in my area of bad run in with other hunters? Yes but not many. They only problem hunters we get around here are city hunters. AND IN NO WAY AM I SAYING ALL HUNTERS FROM THE CITY. NOR AM I SAYING ONLY.  I am just saying the biggest problem I have run into on state land or with neighbors of our private land is from the guys from the city. They are the ones who cause most of the stories I hear aswell. As an example the guy who owns the 400 acres we lease lives in Rochester and hates city hunters. He will not lease any land to someone from the city. One of our neighbors lives in the city and tried to lease the land before I got it. Part of the lease agreement is that only local country folks are allowed on it I am to keep all city people off. That includes the neighbor even to recover a hit deer. However if they need to track a deer onto that property they know they have my permission to do so. In no way would I refuse someone the right to retrieve a hit deer. Like I said I feel bad for those who have to  put up with such bad hunters in there area

4 hours ago, Grizz1219 said:

I know a lot of good gun hunters for sure.. but holy hell, I see some of the least sportsmen like activity and every year I think it can't get worse and it does.... Just sad.... 

I have to agree. Had a police buddy of mine telling me about 2 guys ready to duke it out over a deer. He called DEC and asked what to do and he told them to cut the deer down the middle one guy take half the rack and the other guy take the other half. One guy started sawing the other left. They are deer just shoot another one is my opinion. 

It would be completely backwards to do this, compared to what really should be done with this states deer seasons. But here in NYS that is how things are done, backwards and never the right way. If they want to try to step up the quality of the deer herd, take after a state that produces quality animals.

Apply check stations and the "earn a tag" rule, whether its a buck or a doe you shoot. shoot one, get a tag for the other. Start off with a buck tag, and a doe tag. None of this "ANTLERLESS" tag stuff.. bucks are taken and tagged for "doe" this screws numbers up big time in the reporting system!!!! 

Tags are made for male deer, and female deer... not antler less deer.. PERIOD!! 

Take a buck, then take a doe or maybe even 2, before getting a second buck tag..

But they must tag deer for sex, not for what they have on their head. This makes hunters look twice before shooting and makes the reporting of male and female deer numbers easier and a little more realistic than before..

Change WMU per town or county, not multiple counties divided by highways or rivers.. etc.. Deer numbers can change like crazy from one end of a WMU to the other end. 

11 minutes ago, stubby68 said:

They tried making bow season longer and that didn't  work. Why not put bow season back the way it was and try a longer gun season. Tried it one way now try the other way.

No! This makes no sense. After the first wk deer go nocturnal and u don't see them anymore. If this is a sport let's treat it as a sport. Lets not mow all the deer down from months of a season that does just that. I agree with let them grow. Let's get better quality deer. There's a bunch of different opinions on how this could be done! But a longer gun season is sure not the answer!!!! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, nodeerhere said:

No! This makes no sense. After the first wk deer go nocturnal and u don't see them anymore. If this is a sport let's treat it as a sport. Lets not mow all the deer down from months of a season that does just that. I agree with let them grow. Let's get better quality deer. There's a bunch of different opinions on how this could be done! But a longer gun season is sure not the answer!!!! 

You got that right...Anyone that needs more time in gun season to harvest a deer needs to either learn how to hunt a little better or find a new place to hunt.  More Bow/Crossbow and less of any kind of gun will help make a better hunting Ny.....

• Like 1

Wait after gun season starts the deer go nocturnal.  Meaning they only come out at night. Wouldn't this mean more time is needed to get a deer since you can't hunt at night. I mean the season in which deer are seen more day timeshould then be the shorter. More deer seen in shooting hours means more opportunities right? Deer out during non shooting hours means less opportunities right?

As for needing more time to kill deer. Well what about those who have very title time to get out. Maybe only a couple of days as it is. Should those guys be forced to stop hunting just because others want the season shorter and that could take away the only days they could get out?

If you do not need much time to get a deer then why is it OK for bow season to be so long. If it is that easy for gun hunters to get deer when the deer are all nocturnal  then how easy must it be for bow hunters when the deer are all diurnal. Which is it? Easy for gun hunters when deer only move at night? Or bow hunters when deer are moving during the day? Bow hunters always talk about how many more deer they see and how calm they are before the (orange army) gets out there. If this is true then why is it easier to kill deer after the ( orange army) is out there. You would think they would be harder to kill when only out at night and always nervous and on edge. Hence needing a longer season to get it done.

Heck bow hunters always say they like the change of hunting with a bow. Lets run bow and gun together.Wouldn't it be even a bigger challange when the deer are nocturnal and nervous and on edge. I mean that would make it a challange. Not having the Rome around aimlessly calm and at ease with the world. I use to bow hunt I know how easy it is to fill a freezer that time of year. I also know how many old bucks I was able to kill because they had only one thing on there mind and didn't care if I was wearing neon pink and doing jumping Jacks they still walked to within range.

Face it bow hunters want a shorter gun season so they can push for a longer bow season and the big ones will be easy to kill longer. I would like to see bow season moved back to Oct 15 to open. First weekend in Oct be a youth hunt then a 10 day muzzy doe only. 3 day rest and you have bow.then gun the second saturday of November to second Saturday in December. Both bow and gun get same amount of time.

Seeing everyone wants to make up their own seasons let’s try this. Bow October 1 through the Friday before the 3rd Saturday in November. Gun the 3rd Saturday in November running 23 days. Then a late bow and muzzle loader season running 9 days starting the Monday after the last day of gun season. This is for the southern zone. The only other thing would be add 1 week to the late muzzle loader and 3 weeks to the late bow.

On 12/20/2016 at 8:45 PM, ....rob said:

Leave the NZ as it is! There are areas up there that just seeing a deer, any deer is an accomplishment. If any changes to the NZ, lets open up some more DMP WMU's!

So just seeing a deer, any deer is an accomplishment in northern tier and you want more dmps there LMFAO. 

• Like 1

You can do whatever you want with gun season length, but in our area it won't make any significant difference in deer take. Once we get by the  opening weekend, the shooting dwindles down to less than you would hear during the small-game season. The state parking lots empty out, and things get so quiet that it is difficult to tell there is a deer season in progress. During the last week of gun season, I noted that there were deer grazing in broad daylight out in the middle of a couple of fields down by us. I believe that there is absolutely no game management reason to add any days to gun season. As far as filling some pressing need for hunters, or becoming some significant harvest time for over-populated areas, I think that anyone pushing for longer gun seasons is barking up the wrong tree.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stubby68 said:

They tried making bow season longer and that didn't  work. Why not put bow season back the way it was and try a longer gun season. Tried it one way now try the other way.

I would like to hear your reasons for changing the seasons , if you mentioned already, i missed it and apologize for skimming through. 

On 12/20/2016 at 0:54 PM, Jeremy K said:

Extending hunting season messes with snowmobile season ,it could get ugly.

It's already ugly.  I know of three guys that got tickets already this year for riding during hunting season.  They were busted riding the canal between jordan and weedsport.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stubby68 said:

You're  correct you didn't  say longest. My mistake. No I'm  not a bow hunter, doesn't have anything to do with it.  All seasons does not seem to hurt the hunting for my brother. He hunts with all 3 weapons. I have visited him and talked hunting with him and others who live and hunt there. None of them have a problem with it. They like having the choice to use what ever weapon they chose to on any given day. Why should it be a problem to have guns and bows in the woods at the same time?

You not being a bowhunter and pushing for 1 long season of weapons has EVERYTHING to do with it. If you were a bowhunter in NY you would know why.

I've never hunted Nebraska, but I imagine there are large stretches of flat land with a lot less pressure than NY. Besides parts of the north and southern tier, NY is hunter stacked on hunter. I hunt a small section of 8F where just about every track of woods has a hunter in it. The deer are plenty during bow and all but disappear during gun.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Belo said:

You not being a bowhunter and pushing for 1 long season of weapons has EVERYTHING to do with it. If you were a bowhunter in NY you would know why.

I've never hunted Nebraska, but I imagine there are large stretches of flat land with a lot less pressure than NY. Besides parts of the north and southern tier, NY is hunter stacked on hunter. I hunt a small section of 8F where just about every track of woods has a hunter in it. The deer are plenty during bow and all but disappear during gun.

I hunted with a bow in Ny for many years. I know what the deer are like that time of year. It was very easy to fill my freezer then. Too easy and too warm. Warm weather and easy deer did not make me feel like I was hunting. I never said I was pushing for a longer gun season. Would I complain about one?No.  Would I have complained when I did bow hunt? Nope. As you said deer are plenty during bow season and disappear during gun. Wouldn't that make it easier to kill deer during bow and warrant a shorter season. As the deer disappearing during gun makes it harder causing a need for more time to get a deer. I actually suggested bow and gun season each being 3 weeks long.

I mentioned Nebraska hunting season because NY hunting season has been compared to other states with shorter gun and longer bow seasons. Giving an example of a state that has no problem with one long season for all weapons at once. This is NY and we can not manage our hunting or deer herd like another state. Yet everyone keeps suggesting that we do just that.

I hunt mainly in 9h  and 9n but with some time in other units. It has been years since I have in countered more then one or two hunters on state land. Also been a long time since I saw more then a couple trucks parked along the road with hunters in the woods anywhere. Actually this year I saw only 3 vehicle total on any of my trips across 9h to where I hunt in 9n. The biggest talk after the first weekend around this area is the lack of shots heard and hunters seen. Even the state land in areas had very few hunters. Bow season seems to have many more hunters out in the woods the last few years. Only place I ever see hunter on hunter is in Letchworth state park.

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I would like to hear your reasons for changing the seasons , if you mentioned already, i missed it and apologize for skimming through. 

No reason other then if you try doing something one way and it doesn't  work then try doing it the other way. Bow hunters say change the season all the time so a gun hunter should be able to say the same 5 hang right?