Pistol Recertification

nyantler

Thanks I was viewing the form on my phone and did not pick up on the co- registered check box . Although I still fail to see how a gun in another's safe 100 miles away , is in ones  " possession ". That's an odd definition as far as other laws go .

Anyways she has till 2020 till she'll have to renew .

Okay, did mine online and it took about 15min. All you'll need in front of you is your driv lic, current permit # and card (?) showing listed handguns registered to you. If you've moved around some over the decades, need to jog your memory as to which county you had originally applied for your permit decades ago!

Most of my time was spent on the listings page trying to input handgun info as it appears on my current permit. Ended up inputting kinda, sorta, maybe the same info as it appeared on my permit. Problem was it keeps bouncing you back to listing page if there were any errors and you'll need to scroll up to see the error messages. Not obvious at 1st that's what's happening! FYI - Any of you with a Ruger Super Single 6 will have same issue I had, no way to check "multiple calibers" and then input 22/22mag, Guessing that box is limited to numeric data only, so 22/22 shows up & you're put into the perpetual error cycle. Another minor quirk is in the SN box, you won't be able to input actual SN as it is inscribed on your handgun & on your current PP if it has any special characters, ie; the "-" between numbers. Lastly, you'll need to opt out of the FOIL act and state "you fear you or others will be harmed or for your life if this info is released to the public". Or whatever good/legit reason you used before when opting out, if you still wish to!

6 hours ago, Larry302 said:

Thanks I was viewing the form on my phone and did not pick up on the co- registered check box . Although I still fail to see how a gun in another's safe 100 miles away , is in ones  " possession ". That's an odd definition as far as other laws go .

Isn't the "co-registered" option merely a shortcut in lieu of going thru the transfer process if something happens to the person that's actually in possession of the handgun? Other than that, can see the validity if individuals within same household have access to & use the same specific handguns. Wouldn't it become a huge legal & liability nightmare if an individual (spouse w/o being co-registered?) actually had to use a weapon in self defense within the home!!?!!

Edited by nyslowhand

Did my recert on Sat.morning,had issues with finding correct name for pistol.Sent off e-mail immediately for verification and then figured out my issue.7:35 am this morning got a reply from State Police,can't believe they responded that quickly.Is there really any info that they ask for that they don't already have or be able to acquire.IMO they are banking on many people not recertifying,and we will see how fast they show up at your door to confiscate your arms.

18 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Wish them good luck from me. Hope they have deep pockets and can expect to lose their permits after they lose. This process takes 10 minutes and costs nothing. I have to pay I think $40 to renew my non resident Utah permit every 5 years. Not sure why the opposition to this procedure.:sorry:

I'm surprised at the rapid response to recert online versus by mail and a full year ahead of the requirement.  Thankfully, I live in Saratoga County where the sheriff is on record opposing this latest infringement.  

There is a cost though.  Who do you think is paying the NYSP to establish this new database and then process the info?  Who pays the people doing all the work at the county level for them?  We do, the tax payers.  And to what gain?  County judges are already empowered to revoke a pistol permit at any time.  Why give the state a new-found power to revoke your permit as well, overriding the county judge?  Isn't it bad enough that the NY Pistol Permit you have issued from Western NY isn't valid in the entire state, ie. NYC?  Or that many counties routinely issue restricted permits while others routinely issue normal unrestricted ones?  NY's gun laws are a cluster and I don't see any reason why turning over more power to the state, run by a man who actually said, "confiscation is an option", is something one would NOT oppose!

It's sad how easily New York gun owners will incrementally give away their Second Amendment rights.  So many don't even put up a whimper of opposition.  Those quoting the recert process in states like Florida or Utah seem to forget that those recerts apply to ccw permits, not the fundamental right to purchase and possess a handgun for your home.  Where is the opposition to THAT?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Belo said:

that's interesting because I paid $10 to update my address and $10 to add a gun. Why would a new card on nice plastic that uses color ink be free?

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with that. This is a Safe Act requirement and NOT something the counties are doing Both of the things you listed ARE fees for record updates that are handled and implemented by the counties

30 minutes ago, Belo said:

that's interesting because I paid $10 to update my address and $10 to add a gun. Why would a new card on nice plastic that uses color ink be free?

You dont get a new card. Years ago when Livingston County went from paper cards to the plastic ones, they didnt make me pay anything for the new one.

ok I get it. and not that I should make sense, but it doesn't. how is this database any different than the requirement to update address and pistols? Legally I have to update my address when I move and that costs $10. Is that info not put into a database? Are they trying to capture everybody who had a permit from 50 years ago?

17 minutes ago, Belo said:

ok I get it. and not that I should make sense, but it doesn't. how is this database any different than the requirement to update address and pistols? Legally I have to update my address when I move and that costs $10. Is that info not put into a database? Are they trying to capture everybody who had a permit from 50 years ago?

Think of it this way. The only place the listing of all the pistol holder and all their pistols resides is in the county locations. Most all of them are paper records. Basically the State has found a way to make us their unpaid clerical that will be making the STATE database of all pistol permit holders and a listing of their pistols. 

One thing I want all you guys that are doing this a year early to remember. The clock for you next 5 year period starts at your re-certification date NOT 5 years from January 31 2018. 

• Like 1

thanks culver that makes sense. and also pisses me off. when I was thinking about predator hunting I thought how great it would be to get a new gun. then I remember the fun scary black gun I always wanted but didn't have an excuse for would be a great choice. then I remembered I moved back to ny.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Think of it this way. The only place the listing of all the pistol holder and all their pistols resides is in the county locations. Most all of them are paper records. Basically the State has found a way to make us their unpaid clerical that will be making the STATE database of all pistol permit holders and a listing of their pistols. 

One thing I want all you guys that are doing this a year early to remember. The clock for you next 5 year period starts at your re-certification date NOT 5 years from January 31 2018. 

I also have a feeling that this is going to be there gateway into doing background checks for ammo purchases or for them to be able to keep tract of ammo purchases by permit holders. This is going to lead to new gun control laws in the next 2 years I guarantee it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

This for sure ? I may have missed that

Yup, it says you must re-cert every 5 years from issue date your issued date will now be your new re-cert. date. It then goes onto say if issued after Jan. 18th 2013 you do not need to re-cert. until 5 years from that issue date and if your permit was issued before that date you must re-cert. by Jan 31st 2018. So if you re-cert. prior to Jan. 18th 2018 you will need to re-cert 5 years from that date.

Edited by chas0218

Many of us in the pro gun , anti safe act camp, are waiting till Dec. And sending in paper forms. Flood them with a hundred thousand paper ones at the same time .

i totally understand checking a  co - registered box it tells them it will show up on another's  permit as well  , co possession 100 miles apart not so much. Words  have meanings and it says, list guns in your possession , 100 miles away in another persons safe does not fit any legal definaton of possession I can find.

Like much of the unsafe act, it's poorly written .

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

Many of us in the pro gun , anti safe act camp, are waiting till Dec. And sending in paper forms. Flood them with a hundred thousand paper ones at the same time .

i totally understand checking a  co - registered box it tells them it will show up on another's  permit as well  , co possession 100 miles apart not so much. Words  have meanings and it says, list guns in your possession , 100 miles away in another persons safe does not fit any legal definaton of possession I can find.

Like much of the unsafe act, it's poorly written .

I agree but if it is "co-owned" under their legal definition now and on two or more permits, I would check the box. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but i purchased my last handgun in March of 2014, I also had to re certify at that time due to my previous 5 years were up(D.O.I. Feb. 2009)  I haven't had much time to look into this Re-Cert bs but as I see it, I do not need to re-cert until 5 years from March of 2014?? 

Thanks in advance. 

8 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but i purchased my last handgun in March of 2014, I also had to re certify at that time due to my previous 5 years were up(D.O.I. Feb. 2009)  I haven't had much time to look into this Re-Cert bs but as I see it, I do not need to re-cert until 5 years from March of 2014?? 

Thanks in advance. 

Same county? I ask because I transferred from Wayne (issued in 2008) to Steuben (Issued new Steuben card in 2015) and it still reads issued in 2008 on my Steuben card. In my case I think I need to re-cert better safe than sorry.

20 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Same county? I ask because I transferred from Wayne (issued in 2008) to Steuben (Issued new Steuben card in 2015) and it still reads issued in 2008 on my Steuben card. In my case I think I need to re-cert better safe than sorry.

Q: I was originally issued a pistol / revolver license years ago but have recently transferred to another county. When completing my recertification, which issue date should I enter?

A: The issue date entered should be the date (or approximate date if unknown) that you were originally issued a pistol / revolver license, not the date that you transferred or amended your license

21 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

All this sure would be much easier if everything was all the same across the state/country! But that is their game I guess, make it difficult for us!

7 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Mine still reads date of issue in 2009 as well. But I had to re new my permit in March of 2014 to go pick my handgun up at the shop.
But it does read 2009 still.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

When I transferred it might have been before the safe act so they might not have done the re-cert. then for me.