Who owns their own land?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who owns their own land?

• No.
    • Yes, under 50 acres.
    • Yes, 51-75 acres.
    • Yes, 76-99 acres.
    • Yes, over 100+

My brother and I own 90 acres. We have hunted together since ever since we were legally able, and purchaseing our own hunting land was something we wanted for the longest time. We signed the papers on February 20, 2008. We celebrate the day as Land-a-versary! Best purchase ever!!

I have always either owned land or lived in a household that owned land...

I grew up on a 180 acres in a rural area in  Tuscarora in Steuben County...My Mom sold it after my Dad died in '94...

When I was married, my ex-wife and I inherited 168 acres from her father, a retired dairy farmer...

That went away with my divorce a few years ago, but  my fiance just happens to own 100 acres of good hunting land in Tuscarora, near the old homestead where I grew up....

I have lived in this area all my life and I am fortunate to have a number of good friends, in-laws and neighbors who allow me to hunt thier land... That includes my ex-wife, who allows me to hunt the land that I USED to own... :D ...

Actually, it would be an exaggeration to call her a FRIEND... ??? ...

Let's just say that we retain a civil relationship  mostly due to the fact that we share a daughter and some mutual friends..

I kinda like the idea that now I still get to  hunt the land and SHE is paying all the taxes... :D ...

Actually, it would be an exaggeration to call her a FRIEND... ??? ...

Let's just say that we retain a civil relationship  mostly due to the fact that we share a daughter and some mutual friends..

I kinda like the idea that now I still get to  hunt the land and SHE is paying all the taxes... :) ...

Pygmy I hear you, been there done that, just trying to keep it civil. I just avoid her at all costs, and the cost was expensive.

Dave

My family use to own a farm in lancaster,ny got so built up around it that my parents sold the farm in 93'. I started buying land in the cuba are in 93' and have added to it several times. Decided to build a house in 2006 on the land i already owned, rather than buy a lot in lancaster for 40,000. Now i am in the woods 365 days a year!!

Over 100 acres in Canandaigua.  Mostly ag land we rent to a farmer . I hunt a 200  of his acres (all posted,just me) That leaves him with 2,000 or so more to himself.........

Good deal, rent for land pays our taxes and we clear a profit, get good hunting land to boot !

I have 25 acres with my home on it. the hunting here is good and last deer season was my best year

to date taking a big 10 with my bow.  I have at anytime fox, rabbit, turkey, deer, coon, ground hog

and even beavers. the best thing i have ever bought by far.

I have 20 acres just inside Delaware county near the Sullivan county line at Fremont Center. I am on a dirt road not much traffic which suites me just fine. The less the better I have seen deer, bear, coyote,rabbit, turkey. But not many squirrels, I wish there were more ,I try small game season but don't see any. There are all sorts of birds even Geese and occasional ducks in the area. So when you take into account what happened in Japan I feel blessed to have this special place. Sometimes the roads get washed out but not for long and they re back to normal. I have planted white pine along the road in front of my property and they are growing very well. Also planted apple trees though growing not much fruit. They have been in the ground about 4 yrs and I  hope they start to produce this year. For all you land owners count your blessings for your special place.

Dave

Co owner of 300 acres and have 200 of a neighbrs we get exclusively for cutting and stacking him 12 cords of wood a year.  He is in his 70s and does not hunt, and lives alone.  when he goes, we wil get the land per his will. 

My siblings and me own 60 acres upstate which we inherited and cannot be sold unless we all agree. As a compromise to all, we have leased the property to the same group of ( great ) guys for the hunting season to help pay the taxes. and insurance. As I am the only one of my siblings that hunt, I have the retained my right to hunt the property and occasionally I hunt the property during midweek.

My wife and I bought 4 acres on a dead end road in 1993 and over the years have built our retirement home and a garage with an upstairs guest room and bath.  The best part is that it is in the Adirondack Park near Whiteface Mountain.  My  4 acres borders about 150,000 acres of primitive and wilderness land.  During hunting season, or for that matter anytime, I very rarely see anyone else. 

post-2178-131455426984_thumb.jpg

My wife and I bought 4 acres on a dead end road in 1993 and over the years have built our retirement home and a garage with an upstairs guest room and bath.  The best part is that it is in the Adirondack Park near Whiteface Mountain.  My  4 acres borders about 150,000 acres of primitive and wilderness land.  During hunting season, or for that matter anytime, I very rarely see anyone else.

great fine, how far north?

Dave

wow all great stories.  I bought my 98 1/2 acres with my dad in 2001.  With the help of my brothers we built a nice house over the years and all love to spend time there.  Taxes are getting crazy along with all the habitat work but still worth every penny!  Can't wait for the kids to become age and hunt!

We own 209 acres of pure heaven at the end of a one mile long right-of-way. Also my neighbors have 210 acres and do not hunt, they don't allow anyone but me to hunt thier property.  I skid about 10 cords of logs to them every year. Great people!

post-534-131455428897_thumb.jpg