Pistol guys, a little help please.

blackradio

Hey fellas. This isn't a hunting thread but I figure a lot of you guys have pistol permits. I applied to get my pistol permit over a month ago. Got a call back from the Pistol Bureau and they gave me an appointment of September 14th to get fingerprinted and get my permit. I'm currently seeking employment as a police officer or security guard, both of which I would be required to carry a pistol. Well, I thought I'd have 6 months to research what pistol to get but if everything goes as planned, my appointment will get moved up to within the next month. So, I need to find a good pistol to purchase after I get my permit. I figure I'd go 9MM as a first gun and since that's most likely what I'd be using. I don't know much about pistols, I only have shotguns and rifles. Hoping to spend about $300. What features should I look for? Any brands to steer clear of? Open to all recommendations.

gonna be tough getting a good 9mm for $300... but you may find a good used one. law enforcement have been using Glocks... many of my police buddies have .380's that they use for carrying off duty.. they are less expensive and are easy to conceal.

Outdoor channel had a show on just this topic, comparing the 9mm to a smaller caliber pistol.

Test shots were taken into those 12" gel blocks that simulate the density & thickness of the human chest cavity.

The 9mm blasted straight through the blocks with minimal damage only along the path of the projectile.

Tested .40 cal S&W bullets went 6" and basically exploded radially at the center of the simulated body cavity.

Take it for what it's worth; the host stated most law enforcement agencies are downgrading from the 9mm.

Most LEOs I have talked to carry 45 or 40, not alot of 9mms. Glocks are nice, Springfield XDs are also nice. I would not recommend the S&W M&P because of the hinged trigger, I just dont like it. I have the Springfield xD 40 and its just a plain good, smooth shooting gun. I can feed even the cheap Wolf ammo through it with no problems what so ever. It has the 10 round mags, and is a bit on the heavy side with a full clip, but not too bad. I picked it up 5 or 6 years ago at Gander Mountain on sale for @ $500 with the case, 2 stainless clips, a holster and some other goodies. You are going to be hard pressed to buy a new pistol for $300. Used, maybe, but new is gonna be really tough.

First off, you will be hard pressed to find any decent handgun these days for $300.00. Double that and you might find a good used one or a low end new one.....................take a look around, the cost of guns, ammo and anything firearm related is off the page.

The last caliber I would consider for that line of work would be a 9mm, horrible performance track record. I have the mentality that your gun should be able to save your life, not have you fighting to save your life, and most likely if involved in a fire fight, you will be out numbered and under gunned. So, always start out with the best possible weapon you can, your life may just depend on it.

I would suggest picking at least 2-3 calibers, the same in manufacturers and start doing some review searches, then go put one in your hand....................no sense in buying a great gun that feels uncomfortable in your hand and you don't shoot it well.

FDXX75

NYS Police carry the Glock in 45 GAP, IIRC.

Get a 40 cal. Glock Model 23 and call it good.  They are carried by many PD and can be purchased used quite often. 

I don't think there are many, if any PD issuing 9mm anymore.

Are you required to get a handgun as soon as you get your permit? 

What County are you in?

If you get the P.O. job, there will be no need for a pistol permit. They also will issue you a pistol, whatever that agency carries. If you are buying the pistol for the security job, then you have to decide what is more important to you. Large capicity or large caliber. You're really not going to get both. The .40 is a good comprimise. You may be able to get a used gun for around $300. Probably closer to $400 though. Look on Gunbroker.com.

Yeah I was just looking at the Glock 17 for about $500. Any particular brand for the .380?

Bersa makes a good inexpensive .380...which is usually under $400... if you get into the Berretta's you will be in the $500-$700 range

Ruger also makes a .380 in the $300 price range... ammo is cheaper to for the .380

If you get the P.O. job, there will be no need for a pistol permit. They also will issue you a pistol, whatever that agency carries. If you are buying the pistol for the security job, then you have to decide what is more important to you. Large capicity or large caliber. You're really not going to get both. The .40 is a good comprimise. You may be able to get a used gun for around $300. Probably closer to $400 though. Look on Gunbroker.com.

I know but it looks good that i took initiative to get a permit. I've been doing some research. I think I'm going to go with the Glock 19 or 23. Both are compact. Just not sure whether to go 9mm or .40 cal. I do plan on shooting very often so I'm leaning towards the 9mm due to ammo being more affordable.

9mm are a great gun people always say they don't have the knock down power put a hollow point in there and have someone rush you.  If you can hit your target I bet they will stop!!!

If you keep looking around and want a 9mm you can find one for around that price.  Keep an eye out on gunbroker and site like those they work great and they give a list of the gun shops that work with them so you can get your pistol shipped to them for the switch over.

Get a 9mm if its going to be a gun your just going to shoot yourself, most law enforcement will issue you a pistol. The also get a good deal to buy a pistol that is the same as the one they were issued. For your price range and the fact that you want to shoot a lot a 9mm will do. Get the job then get another gun!

Are you currently in the training process/evaluation process of becoming a cop? if so i would wait and if that goes through look into getting a different hand gun or hold off on it all together until you have some solid news... where are you looking into being a cop? just went shooting with my buddy who is a suffolk cop and just got sworn in like 2 or 3 months ago.

Are you currently in the training process/evaluation process of becoming a cop? if so i would wait and if that goes through look into getting a different hand gun or hold off on it all together until you have some solid news...

+1 If your going for NYPD, all the best to you.

They'll issue you a vest, pistol & badge, then YOU need to purchase about $4-5000 worth of equipment/uniforms. Plus, talking to POs already on the job will give you more insight into what people are using..

As for renting guns, I think in PA you can 'rent' firearms at the ranges..

Are you currently in the training process/evaluation process of becoming a cop? if so i would wait and if that goes through look into getting a different hand gun or hold off on it all together until you have some solid news... where are you looking into being a cop? just went shooting with my buddy who is a suffolk cop and just got sworn in like 2 or 3 months ago.

Nope. Taking the exam in 2 weeks. It's for the Danbury CT PD. But, if I get the security job I will have to carry a pistol.