OMG..Just when I thought it couldn't...

growalot

Get any worse up here..How the " F " could I be surprised!...Sorry but really. I'm driving home and The new neighbor with hives waves... so I back up...to say high and give him the heads up on my planting buckwheat (maybe) this spring...So we get to talking... He seems to be a real nice guy and both he and his wife hunt...When in the conversation he says so who has the pet deer? What pet deer?...and he pulls out his cell phone with a video of his wife in front of their place, laughing and hugging and being "kissed" by a young deer..WTH..then tells me it routinely comes in the yard and licks his pant legs and hangs around...up to a week before gun season it had an orange collar on.They think it's coming from some where near him and they have dogs.....They are 1/2 mile below me. There is absolutely nothing these people around here won't do that's not illegal in nature .. He then tells me it was one of our neighbors down the road that shot his buck last year and dropped dead of a heart attack...plus told me of several whoppers I hadn't seen or caught on cams.

What is wrong with someone ,especially in this area of EVERYONE hunts they'd tame a wild deer to be use to people AND put a collar on it! Further Whats wrong with people not turning this in!...well I can almost see why not that...DEC would kill it...

This wasn't that it was a dog collar..I really am not sure I would have believed him, but there they were ..Her laughing with delight and arms wrapped around the deer. The deer nuzzling her ear and making no attempts to get away...in fact it was leaning in the be hugged and scratched an petted...Honestly the people around here drive me crazy...it's a whole different world I swear to God....

Well that surely confirms my belief the deer around here are looking so very healthy due to more than my plots or the farmers fields...Absolutely sure the increase in rack size over the last 10 years is also due to some healthy minerals around the hill....and I wonder why I'm not seeing day time deer:rolleyes:

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Simple explanation, this is what happens when you feed deer.  They loose their fear of us.  Never turn in a deer unless it is going to die.  Like you said doing that is a death sentence.

PS:  Thanks for the laughs on the buck protection program some of your post had me rolling, thanks, I needed that last night! 

• Like 1

I could never shoot a deer that I even thought was tame...I don't know nor do they who tamed that deer....I'm surprised I haven't heard of it before today...so it has to be someone very close to them...Everyone close to them hunts...It boggles my mind.

NFA...lol I do have fun with such threads...they really are redunkulous:wink:

Edited by growalot

I remember back in the early 80's I and a couple of friends were down bowhunting in PA and we met this old guy that had a pet buck that was not quite as tame as the one you are describing. It kind of just hung around and would carefully let you touch it. However I remember thinking that the little critter was just about entering the age where he would be experiencing some of the urges of rut, where they become a bit aggressive and as I understand it, are not really the safest things to be around, especially when they have lost their fear of humans.

I could never shoot a deer that I even thought was tame...I don't know nor do they who tamed that deer....I'm surprised I haven't heard of it before today...so it has to be someone very close to them...Everyone close to them hunts...It boggles my mind.
NFA...lol I do have fun with such threads...they really are redunkulouskolobok_wink.gif

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

My mom would be that person.. not literally, but she's that type. She use to feed the squirrels out front because, "its been a hard winter", yea there out the feed the deer people they get a kick outta it having deer visit the yard regularly, then the people get attatched to the now tame deer and " Dont shoot Mona!" or whatever they decide to call it

Such things are popular. Even some on here will try to defend things like feeding, even though the reality is that they are doing more harm than good. And a lot of people want to own a wild animal as a pet. It's supposedly a cool thing to do. And all that winds up being is killing them with kindness. Thankfully the DEC sees the practice a little differently than the bunny-huggers, and those that would domesticate Bambi.

• Like 1

Such things are popular. Even some on here will try to defend things like feeding, even though the reality is that they are doing more harm than good. And a lot of people want to own a wild animal as a pet. It's supposedly a cool thing to do. And all that winds up being is killing them with kindness. Thankfully the DEC sees the practice a little differently than the bunny-huggers, and those that would domesticate Bambi.

HA, brings a new meaning to the phrase

I know there was a "pet" deer in Canadice 20+ years ago.  It walked up through the woods with the guy that "tamed" it during archery season and then one of the guys saw it during gun, alone.  It had some kind of red collar around it's neck.  Nice.........................

About 10 years ago my wife and I used to park the truck on the hilltop just off the road to scan for deer with a spot scope. We were standing in the back of the truck with the scope on the roof. We saw a young tall spike horn buck in velvet coming our way. We just stayed still and let him walk up toward the truck. We were amazed that it would even walk this close and I told her wait til he get down wind of us... he will blow out of here. To my amazement, he got down wind and then just continued to circle the truck. I started to talk to him and again he just looked at us. Now no shit here... I got out of the back of the truck and slowly walked to him and extended my hand and he sniffed it and then I put my hand between his ears and scratched him. Eventually I gently grasped an antler spike and could feel the warmth from it. I never saw it again but learn as I told the story to a few people that a neighbor had a young buck that he raised and released not too long before. I have no idea if he made it or was killed or whatever. I would assume it was killed.