New truck

stoneam2006

I always get a kick out of these truck threads.  Guys claiming that Ford is better than Chevy, or Dodge is better than both, yet everyone seems to give a laundry list of repairs they've had to make.  Get a Toyota or Nissan and you'll be driving while the other American trucks will be in the shop needing repairs! LOL
I get the "buy American" thing, but if I'm coughing up $50 grand for a truck, I want something that will last a while and from all reports (these threads included), buying the American truck will not give you that.

• Like 1

I always get a kick out of these truck threads.  Guys claiming that Ford is better than Chevy, or Dodge is better than both, yet everyone seems to give a laundry list of repairs they've had to make.  Get a Toyota or Nissan and you'll be driving while the other American trucks will be in the shop needing repairs! LOL
I get the "buy American" thing, but if I'm coughing up $50 grand for a truck, I want something that will last a while and from all reports (these threads included), buying the American truck will not give you that.

Your Toyota or Nissan will have issues as well. Every car, truck, van has issues regardless of who makes it and how much money it cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The trannys in the new generation trucks are not the same as they were in the 90s and early 2000s. Apples and Oranges.

That is true, but the crap way Dodge handled it back then lost me.

Steve863, Neither Chevy nor GMC has given me any issue I would call problematic. Neither did my Nissan. The Dodge yep. Ford I would love to try but not worth the huge price diff between the two.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

got myself a new truck as well, wasnt looking to lease a 2nd vehicle but when i test drove it and saw the deal they were offering i couldnt say no.  2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Midnight Edition.  Came with the wheel and tire package, spray in bedliner, and a few other accessories with the package.  
IMG_5737.JPG

If you don't mind my asking what did they wind up clipping ya for that one? It is definitely one of thr trucks on my short list for next year/year after. Looks sweet!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Yup!!! Agree with ya 100% Steve.  I was a long time Chevy guy. And had nothing but trouble with the last two new GM trucks I bought. So I bought a Nissan Frontier in 06. 155 thousand on her now  with all original motor, tranny and drive train. Have put on one exaust from cats back. All new water hoses, a wheel bearing in each front wheel (it's a 4x4), and brakes when needed, along with tires of course, and just did rear shocks, that's it !!  She is still running great! Good thing cause I can't swing a new truck right now. I know, buy American. And I will if I can.  But I get more for my money from the Nissans and Toyota's that are mostly made in the USA now anyways. Out of the four brand new GM trucks I've bought, not one lasted me more than 110 thousand miles before having to sell or trade.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fletch said:

That is true, but the crap way Dodge handled it back then lost me.

Steve863, Neither Chevy nor GMC has given me any issue I would call problematic. Neither did my Nissan. The Dodge yep. Ford I would love to try but not worth the huge price diff between the two.

Fair enough. Bad customer service sucks to deal with.

15 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

If you don't mind my asking what did they wind up clipping ya for that one? It is definitely one of thr trucks on my short list for next year/year after. Looks sweet!

sticker on it was 41,500 i happened to walk in when they were offering 3,500 in incentives and a low down payment.  When all is said and done I pay 360/month for it leased with 15k a year.  I lease all my vehicles and will never buy, beat the piss out of it for 3 years and drive off the lot in something new.  Lower monthly payments and zero maintenance or running cost.  Cannot beat it.

• Like 1

sticker on it was 41,500 i happened to walk in when they were offering 3,500 in incentives and a low down payment.  When all is said and done I pay 360/month for it leased with 15k a year.  I lease all my vehicles and will never buy, beat the piss out of it for 3 years and drive off the lot in something new.  Lower monthly payments and zero maintenance or running cost.  Cannot beat it.

That's Awesome! Definitely gonna have to check it out and will have to revisit how you like it down the road

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

And then you get the Toyota or Nissan owner that thinks their brand is any better. They all have their issues. Ive seen quite a few Toyota and Nissans that have spent more time in the shop than my truck ever has, have had holes in the frame that you could throw a softball through, are rusted out, etc etc.

I buy vehicles that last and dont cost me much to maintain or fix. Resale value, I dont care, I drive my stuff until it is dead anyway.

Funny though, Nissan decided to go with an American built engine and transmission (same trans as Ram uses in the 3/4 and 1 tons) for the Titan. Word has it, Toyota is going to follow suit.

Dang that's a deal man. Good job!

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The trannys in the new generation trucks are not the same as they were in the 90s and early 2000s. Apples and Oranges.

Agreed. The Dodge I was referring to was a 2001. Their customer service sucked though, and the official factory response was along the lines of "too bad for you".

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Your Toyota or Nissan will have issues as well. Every car, truck, van has issues regardless of who makes it and how much money it cost.

I have no real need for a truck, but my Subaru Outback lasted me 18 years without a single major repair.  Oil changes, a couple of brake jobs, on my third set of tires and that is it!  Finally getting rid of it, just because I want something new, and another Subaru it will be.  Have another Subaru in the family that is going on year 24!!  From my experience the people I know that have owned Japanese vehicles simply have less headaches with them compared to those who own American brands.  So I will stick to buying what appears to be the better product.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

My old man's Tundra has had so many electrical problems you would think it was a VW.  They all have their quirks. 

I bought my F150 about a year and a half ago and love it.  I don't regret it at all.  Honestly though, if I were buying new today, I love the look of the Nissan Titan with the 5.0 Cummins. 

• Like 2

It's funny most assume Toyota isn't American. In 2015 when I bought my new tundra the two top (mostly American parts/labor) trucks were the F-150 and the Tundra. They tied at 70%. Just some random knowledge for everyone considering American truck purchases.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sweet ride stone, wanna race? JK

I follow a different approach, when a truck or car needs some kind of maintenance I trade it in and get a new one. I got rid of one once when I needed an oil change. 

I always start off saying I'm going to keep it then I need tires or something and poof, it's gone. I do hope to keep my current truck for a while, I'm quite fond of it and the sweet stickers I put on it make it way cooler. 

• Like 1

Sweet ride stone, wanna race? JK

I follow a different approach, when a truck or car needs some kind of maintenance I trade it in and get a new one. I got rid of one once when I needed an oil change. 

I always start off saying I'm going to keep it then I need tires or something and poof, it's gone. I do hope to keep my current truck for a while, I'm quite fond of it and the sweet stickers I put on it make it way cooler. 

I lost 200 bucks in stickers on sliverado

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Times must be good....

Bought a new Toyota just a few months ago. Plain jane as they get, delete option for rear seats; just a work vehicle for me.

Hope to get a few years out of it.

Been in a SUV for some time and a small cab over before that, enjoying a pick up again, been many years.

• Like 1

126k on my 2011 F150 ecoboost. Runs like beast. I'll be driving it till the wheels fall off most likely. I could get a new truck but I am quite fond of this one. I've owned all the brands except Toyota. Ford has always been the most reliable for me. The only problem I have is rust now. I'm going to get a estimate later this week to replace the rockers and cab corners now before it gets worse. Thinking of having the entire truck painted with line X also. Rust only happens when the paint chips and moisture gets in. If I can stop the paint chipping by using line x, it should stop future rust.

• Like 3

126k on my 2011 F150 ecoboost. Runs like beast. I'll be driving it till the wheels fall off most likely. I could get a new truck but I am quite fond of this one. I've owned all the brands except Toyota. Ford has always been the most reliable for me. The only problem I have is rust now. I'm going to get a estimate later this week to replace the rockers and cab corners now before it gets worse. Thinking of having the entire truck painted with line X also. Rust only happens when the paint chips and moisture gets in. If I can stop the paint chipping by using line x, it should stop future rust.

Linex looks sick a nice flat black or FDE

• Like 1

I'll join in, 2 weeks ago I got this. Went in to lease a sierra slt double cab with the 6.2l v8, they couldn't find one so they gave this to me for the same ptice. Waaaayyy fancier than I'm used to but it's a damn nice ride.
20170401_150656.jpg

Man that's a nice looking truck! Congrats!

• Like 1

Dude if you line-X the entire truck you absolutely have to post the pictures of it! I've seen it done before and I'm not sure if I like it or not. My uncle did line-x all along the bottom of his dodge and it actually looks really nice. It matches up with the black bumpers really well.

• Like 1