Carnage on the 90

wolc123

We counted about 10 road-kill deer along the Westbound stretch of the I-90, between the Rt 81 Syracuse exit and the Rt 77 Pembroke exit on our drive back from the in-law's today.    Traffic was backed up a mile or so, around Montezuma, as a state trooper was finishing off a young buck (looked like it had about 6" of velvet antlers).  It still had its head up, but most have broken it's legs.  I thought it was odd to see so many at this time of year.   That is about the most I have seen over that stretch, even during the fall rut time.       

It was about noon when we passed that buck, still holding his head up.  He must have been struck minutes earlier.   Apparently you need to be on the lookout at all times of day and night.   After witnessing this today, I will be a bit less selective about filling my tags this fall.  A small buck that I pass on, in hopes of a larger one, just might be the one that takes out a motorcyclist.  If my tags are filled then I did my part, not only to feed my own family, but also to protect motorists.        

11 hours ago, greg54 said:

I saw a lot of motorcycles out today, guess they have an extra eye out for deer crossing road, it could be disaster if one came out.

Guy I work with hit one on his motorcycle last week . It was already dead but he says he hit doing 75 ! He said he leaned back ,hit it square . He actually went airborne and didn't dump the bike . He showed us all the blood and guts on his pant legs. I told him it was probably not as big of a mess as what was in his shorts.

• Like 5

Guy I work with hit one on his motorcycle last week . It was already dead but he says he hit doing 75 ! He said he leaned back ,hit it square . He actually went airborne and didn't dump the bike . He showed us all the blood and guts on his pant legs. I told him it was probably not as big of a mess as what was in his shorts.

Guy must have been a dirt rider. Badass

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, stoneam2006 said:

Guy must have been a dirt rider. Badass

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Haha, he actually is . He rides sleds too. I told him all his years of riding were to prepare him for that one event.

• Like 1

The same guy who hit the deer has a son that's a trooper , he got called to a vehicle /deer collision over the weekend.  When the trooper arrived and asked where the deer was ,he was told by the driver that some guy stopped and threw the deer In the trunk of his car and left . The driver took pictures of him doing it so be would have proof.

As the fawn are born the mother doe tend to kick out the yearlings.  Add to that the fawns who are just getting their legs  under them.  My buddy saw 10 in the Hamptons this weekend.  Dispersal causes many deer to be killed as they try and find a new home range.  With all the extra traffic from the long weekend and dispersal at the same time that adds up to many fallen deer.

• Like 2