Managing SD Cards for Multiple Cams

I carry my SD cards around in a ziplock bag. Unused SD cards are kept in the card cases and cards with pics are loose... Easy. Additional cards for new cams that I purchase don't come with cases anymore, so I can't keep them separated that way anymore. What technique do you use when you're walking around checking multiple cams to keep the cards separated (unused vs. used)?

I have a cheap memory card carrying case I bought off amazon.   It's easily fits in your pocket and is pretty durable. It also holds quite a few cards. I wrap the outside with a strip of hi viz orange and yellow tape. That way if you drop it  it's easier to find. Learned that the hard way a few yrs back. 

17 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Bought a card reader than slips into iPhone. I'll screenshot any pics I want and delete from card right with the phone. No extra cards needed. Only have 3 cams but this works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a card reader also. I usually have several hundreds of pics to sort through from each cam and have 7-10 cams, so it would be too time consuming to sort through the pics in the field for me. I have 2 cards for each cam, one used and one fresh.

My youngest son bought me a card holder that holds 8 SD cards ( $10 ) . Cards don't stay in the foam cutouts .

I purchase a couple of zipper pouches that will hold 11 cards on each side . I put the blanks on one side and the card pulls on the other side . It cost me $3 plus frees shipping on EBAY . It works great .

This was $3 when I bought it a couple years ago .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/22pcs-Memory-Card-Wallet-Micro-SD-SDHC-CF-Protective-Storage-Holder-Pouch-Case-/291786687223?hash=item43efd782f7:g:kIkAAOSwOVpXWFBN

For several years I had 8X trail cams and had 2X SDs/cam and always kept them in those plastic SD card individual sleeves/cases. Held 8 SD cards in a container while making my rounds. Can be anything, old Altoid box, small Tupperware (spice?) container, Skoal/Copen dip cans or whatever fits into a pocket easily. Cards retrieved from cams w/pics went into sleeves/cases and into pocket to be taken home and viewed. Takes the confusion out of what's fresh & what's full of pics! Only have 3X cams currently and use one of those hard shell, 12/16 SDs, 6/8 per side, water resistant card cases. One side for fresh and other for ones with pics/vids. Like fasteddie mentioned, cards don't always stay nested in foam cutouts and create more confusion than they're worth.

Years ago when I was dealing with same confusion Cabin Fever is asking about, I'd thought about somehow marking one set of cards. That way you could keep track of what cards you were taking home for that specific day's venture.

Tried the viewing on site option briefly, but was never satisfied with what I was able to see on tiny viewer or smart phone screens.

I have 2 cards per cam, I keep all cards in cases at all times. Ive lost too many cards that had pics I hadn't seen yet, from putting them places without a case. I typically put all my empty cards in one pocket of my pants or jacket and put the cards with pics on them into another pocket. But in the mean time while they are patiently waiting to be swapped out of the cameras, they sit in my center console of my truck. 

just picked up 2 more Brownings from Phade yesterday .. gonna need more cards now.. dang it lol

I had a small 2 sided pill container that I had cards in . When I got to the last camera , the container wasn't in my pocket . So , I lost that with 5 SD cards and as many times as I walked my route , I never found it . I buy my SD cards on line from EBAY and buy the 4 GB cards . I don't need anything bigger than 4 GB . I probably have about 3 dozen SD cards . 

I have a small, watertight plastic jar that I use to carry my SD cards and the keys to my python locks. To keep my SD cards straight, I have each camera labeled with a number. Each camera has 2 SD cards, each card has a label on it for A or B, so for camera 1 theres 1A and 1B, camera 2 has 2A and 2B, so on and so forth.

• Like 2

If you have an Android 95% of them use a micro sd card slot. Buy a SanDisk SD card with adapter and as long as your phone is with you, just pop it in and when your done pop it back in the cam. 

One problem I've had is making sure the notch on the memory card is in the correct position.  If anyone has had a problem reading a memory card that's the first thing you should check.

I prefer to do the card swaps and upload the pictures when I get home . I have a card reader that plugs into my phone so I can see what is on the card but I don't even bother to do that . I bought several SD cards on EBAY for around $2.50 each with free shipping . I can also put the card in one of my Canon cameras and see what is on the card . 

Card Holder

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDHC-MMC-CF-Micro-SD-Wallet-Carrying-Pouch-Case-Holder-Memory-Card-Storage-/112279668648?hash=item1a2463c7a8:g:J-MAAOSwLEtYhs7N

Little white lightning jack from apple. Put card into jack which plugs into iPhone, I see and delete all pics and put card back into cam. It's very quick. Most times I post trail cam pics I'm walking out woods while posting.

56 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

In the summer?

No regular season biz

56 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

In the summer?

On 7/8/2017 at 1:16 AM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Little white lightning jack from apple. Put card into jack which plugs into iPhone, I see and delete all pics and put card back into cam. It's very quick. Most times I post trail cam pics I'm walking out woods while posting.

Tractor Supply sells a card reader that hooks up to an I-Phone ( $19.99 ) .They also have one for Android ($12.99)

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/stealth-cam-ios-card-reader?cm_vc=-10005

On 7/5/2017 at 8:43 AM, WNYBuckHunter said:

I have a small, watertight plastic jar that I use to carry my SD cards and the keys to my python locks. To keep my SD cards straight, I have each camera labeled with a number. Each camera has 2 SD cards, each card has a label on it for A or B, so for camera 1 theres 1A and 1B, camera 2 has 2A and 2B, so on and so forth.

this is what i do minus the keys to security cables or boxes.  haven't need them ....yet.

I have a drybox for my SD cards. I don't dare guess how many SD cards I have...125 if my wife isn't reading this.

I buy cheap hard plastic cases that hold 12 SD cards, 6 on each side with individual flip covers. Sticker facing up and out = good to put in a camera. Backside of SD card out = hurry up and check it!

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2017 at 8:46 PM, corydd7 said:

If you have an Android 95% of them use a micro sd card slot. Buy a SanDisk SD card with adapter and as long as your phone is with you, just pop it in and when your done pop it back in the cam. 

One problem I've had is making sure the notch on the memory card is in the correct position.  If anyone has had a problem reading a memory card that's the first thing you should check.

I try to spend as little time around my cams as possible when checking. In fact, most of them I can drive up to on my ATV and change the card and/or batteries without ever getting off of the ATV. Ive been pretty happily surprised with the increase in the number of mature bucks showing up regularly since I started doing this. Less stink = less spook.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, phade said:

I have a drybox for my SD cards. I don't dare guess how many SD cards I have...125 if my wife isn't reading this.

I buy cheap hard plastic cases that hold 12 SD cards, 6 on each side with individual flip covers. Sticker facing up and out = good to put in a camera. Backside of SD card out = hurry up and check it!

Nice and organized! I'll look into those cases.

Thanks.

On 7/10/2017 at 4:07 PM, WNYBuckHunter said:

I try to spend as little time around my cams as possible when checking. In fact, most of them I can drive up to on my ATV and change the card and/or batteries without ever getting off of the ATV. Ive been pretty happily surprised with the increase in the number of mature bucks showing up regularly since I started doing this. Less stink = less spook.

That atv might be worse then just walking out there. Jim Ward and a couple qdma guys believe in talking, dressing, and smelling like yourself until just before hunting season. I have 35 acres that I play on so for me there is no sanctuary. Would I have a picnic around my camera tree, no. Would I stay 10 minutes and sift through pictures and screenshot the stuff I like, yes. Of course it depends on the setup but for me it makes the process simple.

That atv might be worse then just walking out there. Jim Ward and a couple qdma guys believe in talking, dressing, and smelling like yourself until just before hunting season. I have 35 acres that I play on so for me there is no sanctuary. Would I have a picnic around my camera tree, no. Would I stay 10 minutes and sift through pictures and screenshot the stuff I like, yes. Of course it depends on the setup but for me it makes the process simple.

Deer adapt to just about anything in the world. They will adjust and become used to machinery running a lot easier than a human walking around in the brush. Especially just one human who's probably not talking or making much noise so it probably seems more threatening to them this way. If your hunting Ag land, deer are especially used to machines rolling around the property and pay no mind to it. When I guided I would drive my guys right to the base of the stands if possible. Leave the truck running and would sit there until they got up into the stand. I had deer stand 80 yards out in the field in my headlights just stand there and watch until I would slowly back out and pull away. My guys always said the deer would just stand there or maybe run off 20-40 yards then stop and come right back after I left. No way they'd do this if a person was sneaking up to the stand in the field.

I have roughly 70 acres behind my house with a trail system for my atv. I run my atv around the trails on a regular basis and don't see any negative impact on my deer. Especially this time of year. Most of the time my does will just stand there and watch me drive slowly by. I do the same as WNY and drive my atv right up to the cameras if I can. Less human scent on the ground and the deer really don't get bothered by the quad slowly putting on through. I do limit my atv use during hunting season for obvious reasons but if I need to move a stand or something I have no problem running the quad out back to help.