2017 Hunting License

Blackpowder28

Is it just my imagination or are doe permits in most of the Catskill units becoming virtually impossible to get?  Many of the units are now preference-point required, which means you will be lucky to get a permit every other year.  Add to all this the antler restrictions rule and all one will be likely get while out deer hunting in that region is fresh air.  To hell with that!

Is it just my imagination or are doe permits in most of the Catskill units becoming virtually impossible to get?  Many of the units are now preference-point required, which means you will be lucky to get a permit every other year.  Add to all this the antler restrictions rule and all one will be likely get while out deer hunting in that region is fresh air.  To hell with that!

From what I know the deer population in the Catskills has dropped a decent amount so it is pretty hard to get a die tag for those units. Timber thinning is badly needed for the Catskills and adirondaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I remember when folks told us that there would be more doe permits to offset less bucks being killed. That hasn't happened. 

4 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

I remember when folks told us that there would be more doe permits to offset less bucks being killed. That hasn't happened. 

Yeah, BS talk is cheap.  They also tell us to kill a doe instead of that spike or forkhorn.  Maybe I would if I had a stinking doe permit!

6 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Yeah, BS talk is cheap.  They also tell us to kill a doe instead of that spike or forkhorn.  Maybe I would if I had a stinking doe permit!

I should add that the way things are now I can't legally shoot any of the above!

That's why I'm not sold on QDMA. But if ya shoot all the does there won't be any bucks at all. Can't have fawns without the does.

4 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

From what I know the deer population in the Catskills has dropped a decent amount so it is pretty hard to get a die tag for those units. Timber thinning is badly needed for the Catskills and adirondaks

Down here in 9R, 9T you can't get a dmp unless you are a landowner 50+ acres or Disabled Vet which I am. I wished they had shut down dmps 5-10 yrs ago, population is terrible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WNY-Hunter said:

Down here in 9R, 9T you can't get a dmp unless you are a landowner 50+ acres or Disabled Vet which I am. I wished they had shut down dmps 5-10 yrs ago, population is terrible.

Hopefully we'll have another mild winter to boost the numbers in your area. The population in one of the area's I hunt has gone way down in the last few years, yet its still very easy to get a dmp. Wish they would make it more restrictive in that area. 

3 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Hopefully we'll have another mild winter to boost the numbers in your area. The population in one of the area's I hunt has gone way down in the last few years, yet its still very easy to get a dmp. Wish they would make it more restrictive in that area. 

I think the jokers setting the dmp limits have been smoking the good stuff for too many decades . . 

6 minutes ago, WNY-Hunter said:

I think the jokers setting the dmp limits have been smoking the good stuff for too many decades . . 

I think the problem is its hard to separate some variables. Take for instance one of the wmu's I hunt 3M. Its one of the easiest dmp's to draw, but many parts of the wmu doesn't have a strong doe populations to hunt. There are however a lot of doe in the area's that are close to houses and very difficult to hunt. 3M has a plethora of areas like that. Suffolk county is also another prime example. The population is so high that you can actually shoot unlimited does there. The problem is the state lands are hit hard and really don't have a high deer population which means the deer that are surviving are living near houses and knowing the climate of LI, most of that land is un-huntable. 

• Like 1

I don't believe so. I bought it the day before that policy went into effect so it's free for me. I believe it changed oct 1, 2009

That's what I meant. It's not included if you were to buy a lifetime now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wow crazy what some of y'all deal with getting doe tags, I get 7s 7r every year and there are does fricken everywhere. I hunt close to houses with bow most of the time and 9/10 times see deer. 

Edited by Hock3y24
Misspelled

17 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

Wow crazy what some of y'all deal with getting doe tags, I get 7s 7r every year and there are does fricken everywhere. I hunt close to houses with bow most of the time and 9/10 times see deer. 

My daughter and I got 7R tags also, because its close by and it's a safe bet for our second choice in the permit selection process. But its far from a slam dunk because the state lands get hunted pretty hard, and most of the deer are near the residential areas in and around Ithaca. What the state is doing about that could be a whole 'nother thread.. 

22 hours ago, Doewhacker said:

I kept repeating the process, I clicked on the purchase a hunting license icon, added what ever into the cart and went back and did it again until I had it all in there. Then entered payment info at the end. I'm betting you missed something.

That worked for me, thanks.  Just keep clicking on the same Annual Hunting picture, new things appear after you click 'Big Game License' the first time.. 

20 hours ago, steve863 said:

you are welcome to come out to 7R of 8H and hunt with me any time Steve. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OldNewbie said:

My daughter and I got 7R tags also, because its close by and it's a safe bet for our second choice in the permit selection process. But its far from a slam dunk because the state lands get hunted pretty hard, and most of the deer are near the residential areas in and around Ithaca. What the state is doing about that could be a whole 'nother thread.. 

I hunt right down by some large tracts in 7R. After opening weekend there is about no shootign or traffic on those tracts.