How would you react to this situation? (Hunting permission)

regulat0r

Here is what non hunting landowners hear when hunters are complaining about other hunters . Blah blah blah treestand, blah blah blah deer or was it beer ?

As a landowner who has let others hunt ( I don't hunt our property ) they call me I say yes, not sure I'm signing anything though .

im not reffing anything , don't care who'puts a stand next to another, not my problem . Follow the rules on buck size and no driving after that not my concern .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

my parents own hundreds of acres.  i've had a couple extended family members trying to harass each other and play games.  each one was calling me asking to tell the other they need to go somewhere else.  one was late 30's and the other was 50's.  i was actually at my house on my property 20 minutes away trying to hunt in peace.  i usually call the shots when parent's are away or whatever.  basically not my problem and told them they were both men and family and had to work it out themselves.  dad later asked about their BS.  i told him i said they had to work it out themselves and get along.  he agreed and said if people can't get along, none of them will hunt.  we're pretty open.  family are allowed to put up stands and hunt were they want but have to do so respecting each other.  any other way would be more work and a PITA for me.  hunting etiquette and getting along shouldn't be considered rocket science for adults.

Bingo!

Get the landowners involved and it becomes 150 acres of I huntable land that we all like to bitch about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go back to the landowners and ask them if you could have permission slip in writing for that year, just in case you come in contacy with anyone else that may question you while hunting and also at that time ask them if their is anything that you could for them as you really appreciate this opportunity...

Good Luck and I certainly would not hunt because some handy man told you not to do so,, also their are laws agaist this, if you have written permission to hunt this propety and the handyman continues to infrige on your rights to hunt or impedes your hunts  you can have charges pressed on him for hunter harassment..

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I guess we will agree to disagree, I see this as 2 grown men who both have permission. The op has to deal with the other guy whom also has permission. The only way to avoid this is to buy your own land or pay for a lease, this is all part of hunting if you don't have land to call your own.

Agree.

Just one thing for the other guys. Can you get off the dogs? Skully already did

6 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I guess we will agree to disagree, I see this as 2 grown men who both have permission. The op has to deal with the other guy whom also has permission. The only way to avoid this is to buy your own land or pay for a lease, this is all part of hunting if you don't have land to call your own.

Agree.

Just one thing for the other guys. Can you get off the dogs? Skully already did

6 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Here ya go:

NY -Environmental Conservation Law ? 11-0103

? 11-0110. Interference with lawful taking of wildlife prohibited.
1. As used in this section "wildlife" means wild game and all other
animal life existing in a wild state, including fish, shellfish and
crustacea, and "process of taking", in addition to any act described in
subdivision thirteen of section 11-0103 of this article, includes
travel, camping, and other acts preparatory to taking, which occur on
lands or waters upon which the affected person has the right or
privilege to take such wildlife.
2. A person is guilty of interfering with the lawful taking of
wildlife when, with intent to prevent the taking of wildlife, in season,
in a place where hunting, fishing or trapping is lawful, and by a person
properly licensed to take such wildlife, he:
(a) strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects the licensed person
to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same; or
(b) follows the licensed person in or about such place and engages in
a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which alarm or seriously
annoy such licensed person and which serve no legitimate purpose.
Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, no one
shall be arrested for violation of this section by other than a duly
designated peace officer acting pursuant to his special duties, or a
police officer.

I actually had some jerk doing the same thing to me about 8 years ago,, I called my local DEC officer and informed him of the situation he told me to inform him of the law and if I had any more problems to contact him again..

The next time he gave me grief I instrusted him that I had talked to the local DEC officer and if his conduct continues what would happen,, he didnt bother me again ..

My situation was he had permission on adjoining property but policed the other property as he had rights to it because he didnt want anyone else hunting there..

You  meet all kinds out there, once he knew I was informed and knowledgeable that this was state owned land and that he had no rights whatsoever more than me  he left me alone ..

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

Here ya go:

NY -Environmental Conservation Law ? 11-0103

? 11-0110. Interference with lawful taking of wildlife prohibited.
1. As used in this section "wildlife" means wild game and all other
animal life existing in a wild state, including fish, shellfish and
crustacea, and "process of taking", in addition to any act described in
subdivision thirteen of section 11-0103 of this article, includes
travel, camping, and other acts preparatory to taking, which occur on
lands or waters upon which the affected person has the right or
privilege to take such wildlife.
2. A person is guilty of interfering with the lawful taking of
wildlife when, with intent to prevent the taking of wildlife, in season,
in a place where hunting, fishing or trapping is lawful, and by a person
properly licensed to take such wildlife, he:
(a) strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects the licensed person
to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same; or
(b) follows the licensed person in or about such place and engages in
a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which alarm or seriously
annoy such licensed person and which serve no legitimate purpose.
Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, no one
shall be arrested for violation of this section by other than a duly
designated peace officer acting pursuant to his special duties, or a
police officer.

I don't see how that statute fits this? 

17 minutes ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

I actually had some jerk doing the same thing to me about 8 years ago,, I called my local DEC officer and informed him of the situation he told me to inform him of the law and if I had any more problems to contact him again..

The next time he gave me grief I instrusted him that I had talked to the local DEC officer and if his conduct continues what would happen,, he didnt bother me again ..

My situation was he had permission on adjoining property but policed the other property as he had rights to it because he didnt want anyone else hunting there..

You  meet all kinds out there, once he knew I was informed and knowledgeable that this was state owned land and that he had no rights whatsoever more than me  he left me alone ..

yeah, good idea........property owners will love that.

50 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I don't see how that statute fits this? 

The guy said he "did not want me hunting there" 

This "handyman" has no right to decide who can hunt this property as they both have permission he is trying to bully and intimidate him to not hunt there, If it where me I would get written permission from the owners and hunt the property, if the "handyman " continues to harrass or impeded on his future hunts, I would take action without the landowners involvement, by informing this guy of your rights and then possible involvement of the DEC ...

20 hours ago, skully said:

Yea they might have got the property cheap because foreclosure but you have to have very deep pockets to pay the taxes on 250 acres in orange county.  There Rich         

again, rich is relative. property taxes on ag land is a lot less than you might expect. 

they're, their and there

and

you're and your. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

The guy said he "did not want me hunting there" 

This "handyman" has no right to decide who can hunt this property as they both have permission he is trying to bully and intimidate him to not hunt there, If it where me I would get written permission from the owners and hunt the property, if the "handyman " continues to harrass or impeded on his future hunts, I would take action without the landowners involvement, by informing this guy of your rights and then possible involvement of the DEC ...

First off it didn't even take place while hunting. It took place when the OP went to the handyman's house and approached him. That section would have NOTHING to do with this scenario. This hasn't even escalated to conflicts IN  the field

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

23 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

First off it didn't even take place while hunting. It took place when the OP went to the handyman's house and approached him. That section would have NOTHING to do with this scenario. This hasn't even escalated to conflicts IN  the field

Yet.....

and I bet it does :)

If he is acting this way now wait till he starts hanging stands and hunting or better yet when he downs a big buck ..

Im not trying to argue all Im saying is let him know your not going to be pushed around and if push comes to shove then be prepared, or better yet ask the landowners for a permission slip because of what occurred and see how they react to his comments..

I stopped reading after Skully said what he did.

So far we have the OP being a handy man, paying off the land owners, giving them wine, buying them everything on their grocery list, making them diner, plowing his driveway and jerking his dogs. I think I'll lead with that on the place I want to hunt.

"Hi can I hunt?, I'll wank your dog?

Edited by Doewhacker
  • Like 3

If the opportunities on this property are unique and you really want to hunt there.....I'd pursue it and not be intimidated by the caretaker.  New property owners will be less likely to offer permission down the road once they become more established.  Your early contact probably helped gain permission.  I agree that it might be worth contacting the caretaker again and/or obtaining written permission from the landowner.  This doesn't need to be complicated.  If you have other places to hunt and would likely not use this property, then I would leave it alone.  You want to remain polite and familiar to the landowner yet not overbearing.  If the caretaker has more say, then they'll likely tell you that circumstances have changed and they will politely revoke permission.

Let's be brutally honest here...

The handyman has a history with the landowner, you don't. Unless you have something valuable to offer the owner (cash, services), you are lower on the food chain to the owner than the handyman is. I doubt cookies or venison is going to change his mind much. I'd say move on, (or be prepared to do some work or spend some money, if you feel like the property is worth it to you). I would definitely not get the landowner involved, he's liable to give everyone the boot, including future hunters who decide to knock on his door.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

I stopped reading after Skully said what he did.

So far we have the OP being a handy man, paying off the land owners, giving them wine, buying them everything on their grocery list, making them diner, plowing his driveway and jerking his dogs. I think I'll lead with that on the place I want to hunt.

"Hi can I hunt?, I'll wank your dog?

in all seriousness, it really does show you how precious land has become and is unequivocally the largest obstacle affecting the modern hunter. 

• Like 2

There is a lot more to managing a 250 ac horse farm than hunting. Think outside the box about the proper management of the ag land and timber. This is where you would become an asset to the owners if you have the time. One thing that will remain a constant for a while is - you are all neighbors.