How would you react to this situation? (Hunting permission)

regulat0r

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I would hunt it and see how it goes. Act courteous to the guy and especially the land owners. A nice thank you gift delivered to the land owners would be a great thing. I wouldn't start bothering them with asking to lease it or mentioning the other guys demeanor. They have enough to worry about right now and you're liable to lose permission simply because they don't want any headaches. Put cable locks on your stands with notes attached stating that it's your equipment. Maybe leave Trail cameras out of the picture for now. Don't forget to offer up some tasty venison to the land owners whether you kill a deer on their property or not. 

Good luck!

This is the right approach, be nice, friendly, don't say anything about the other guy, forget sharing the tasty venison, if it was that tasty it would be sold in stores. Maybe if things go well for a month or two, give them a gift card to buy steaks, wine or beer, let them choose. Just take the high road, and if that doesn't work, just kick his ass

• Like 2

Go to the owners tell them that you wanted to thank them for letting you hunt there lad but you have decided not to take them up on it. Tell them that you talked with the handy man to let him know someone else also had permission and to introduce yourself . Let them know how things went and that you do not want them to have problems because of you. Just might turn out that they get a new handyman and you still have permission. Or they tell the guy it's there land and to get over it. Might tell you to move on. Who knows.

Choices are this, not hunt it , or hunt it and have problems with other guy. Who then goes to owner and gets you booted. None of the choices are perfect but talking to the person who gave you permission let's them decide what happens. And will keep other guy from making you looked bad. I wouldn't let him have a chance of getting me booted and making them think I am trouble. Any choice there chance you lose permission but make it on your terms not his. You might be surprised at what owners think of someone else trying to run there land on the first day they are there. Also offer to do some of the work for free instead of them paying him to do it.

• Like 1

I think having a discussion is fine up front - the time to act is now.

The handyman could make inroads with the value he offers in a short period of time. Talking to the owners and coming up with a solution is much more likely now than down the road.

I would find some way to add value to the landowners if at all possible - posting land, clearing lanes for horses, other services you might offer (not wanking the dog), etc.

I have permission on one piece of ground and I post it and buy a pizza dinner for the family each year. It's exclusive and being proactive helped me lock it up as the landowner has said no to others several times in the few years since I got on the land.

If I were you, I would have went in and put a tree stand up that day.. lol. but honestly you HAVE to hunt it. Just be careful that his idiot is not going to drive the woods with 15 of his friends . . . He does not have the right to tell you not to hunt property that isn't even his own. Honestly, you probably shouldn't have gone to his house in the first place, and if you ran into him in the woods you could have just said, well, they gave me permission, and he could have taken it up with the owners. Now u have a conundrum. but 250 acres is a lot and I feel it shouldn't be an issue!

good luck!

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

As much as I know no landowner that gives permission wants to mediate a dispute between two hunters (especially two that just got permission), 

I think this point shouldn't go overlooked. 2 dudes pissing match might be enough for them to deny you both. I for sure wouldn't want that headache when there's nothing in it for me.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, phade said:

250 acres isn't cheap, that is for sure.

in the sticks on a forclosure house, it could be. Heck i saw some dumps when house hunting last year on 40 acres. The further out into the sticks, the cheaper it becomes. So maybe they're not dirt poor, but there's no guarantee they're loaded.

4 hours ago, wolc123 said:

250 acres is plenty for two guys, but my guess is that the handyman also plans on bringing along his two sons, brother, father in law, and a couple of buddies.  Your best hope of getting in there is a cash offer like Rob suggested.      

That's it right there! That is why he threw a fit. Knowing that you got permission and he got permission for himself and not his whole family. If you see him with more people or see more than just the 2 of you I would mention it to the landowner or just ask how many people they have hunting there you and the handyman might not be the only 2 that have asked. 

I know a farm that lets a ton of guys hunt it, you could walk this one creek bottom and it seems like there is a tree stand every 50 yards. Some people don't care how many hunt and just give anyone permission.

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

I think this point shouldn't go overlooked. 2 dudes pissing match might be enough for them to deny you both. I for sure wouldn't want that headache when there's nothing in it for me.

Yep - I had a similar issue and explained it to the landowner honestly.  She said, you have the final word when it comes to hunting, handle it how you want.  I still didn't toss the guy, but told him he could hunt one side and we would hunt the other.  That worked for several years until the owner got tired of his antics and had me toss him for good.  Now we hunt the whole thing.  But, I did know the owner somewhat - at least more than a first introduction.

I don't know what kind of guy this handyman is. You mentioned that he "got nasty" toward the end of the conversation, so I am suspecting that the guy may very well be a problem. Frankly, I like my hunting and scouting and such to be entirely focused on the hunt and not worrying about stolen or smashed cameras, or sabotaged stands, or someone on the property trying to discourage me from being there. I don't hunt to have a lot of drama and hardships from cantankerous hunters. I understand how these things can escalate, and it really doesn't add a whole lot to the quality of the hunt.

On the other hand, I hate to see jerks be rewarded for being jerks. It's a tough decision, and probably has more to do with your own attitudes toward these kinds of situations. If you are up for a potential never-ending scrap, you certainly have "right" on your side. If you would rather not be dragged into a constant looking over your shoulder, and you have anywhere else to go, you might want to opt for another hunting area without a built in feud.

I did not read the whole thread but to the OP....

I would stop back at some point with some home made cookies or brownies, I would also bring up they said they had a handyman and say hey I'd be more than willing to try to tackle some jobs for you for letting me hunt.....instead of you paying a handyman..?

Who knows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phade said:

would find some way to add value to the landowners if at all possible - posting land, clearing lanes for horses, other services you might offer (not wanking the dog), etc.

Taking "care" of the dog seems way easier then , clearing lanes and posting .....

• Like 2

Handle it like a man and kick that handymans a$$. If you need a hand let me know, i can give him an offer he cant refuse. Did you say that was a horse farm..hmmm...maybe we can also give the owner an offer, might involve one of thier horses moving on to greener pastures...lol...

In all seriousness bring a welcome gift (helps if you have a little one tag along) and extend a thank you to the owners for giving you permission to hunt. Explain that you wont be able to take them up on their offer because the handyman was quite upset when you introuced yourself to him and he indicated you couldnt hunt. Let them deal with him. Do it now while you have the opportunity.  More than sure the handyman has already gone back to them and gave his interpertation of your conversation and im certain he didnt paint you as a good neighbor.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

As a landowner I can say that I would highly recommend you not bringing this up to the landowners. If two adults have an issue and bring it up to me as the landowner I'm going to tell the whinny one to drag their ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

So you would be fine with one of them running your property for you. If I give 2 guys permission to hunt my land and then one of them tells the other they can not hunt I want to know about it. It is the land owners call as to who can and can not hunt. They handy man is acting like he has control of the property.  Let this go and you could have more problems. Why would you not want to know someone elselse thinks they controlled your land. If the handy man comes to me complaining about some else having permission to hunt he is gone. If the other person tells me he has been told by the handyman he can't hunt the handy man is gone. My property my rules. I am the one who says yah or nay . Just because I give someone permission to hunt they should not think they have the right to tell others they can not if I gave others permission.

Adults or not it sounds like the handy man already thinks he run things on someone else's property and as a landowner I would not let it go any further.

• Like 1

So you would be fine with one of them running your property for you. If I give 2 guys permission to hunt my land and then one of them tells the other they can not hunt I want to know about it. It is the land owners call as to who can and can not hunt. They handy man is acting like he has control of the property.  Let this go and you could have more problems. Why would you not want to know someone elselse thinks they controlled your land. If the handy man comes to me complaining about some else having permission to hunt he is gone. If the other person tells me he has been told by the handyman he can't hunt the handy man is gone. My property my rules. I am the one who says yah or nay . Just because I give someone permission to hunt they should not think they have the right to tell others they can not if I gave others permission.
              Adults or not it sounds like the handy man already thinks he run things on someone else's property and as a landowner I would not let it go any further.

If adults can't act like adults I don't want them near my property.

I don't want to be a mediator, after all I'm doing them a favor.

This is the exact reason why I don't let anyone hunt my properties!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Right this moment, the handyman has the upper hand because he works on the property and was given permission first as well.

Like I said before NON HUNTERS who own land just have no idea. They have no idea that other hunters mess things up... the time in scouting deer trails and energy in setting up preparing a stand site and hanging stands only to have other hunters mess up their hunts.  

Chances are the property owner will give permission to others as well, because once again they just have no ideas because they are non-hunters.

If it were me I'd stick it out until the handyman has completed the work however long it may take. Try to co-exist and see how many others get permission and see how things may work out between the 2 of you.  See how many others he brings on the property. You bring no one else!!!!

Try to visit them in the mean time and give them a gift certificate for a dinner, etc. and let them know how much you appreciate the opportunity they have given you.  Offer to help them with fencing, brush hogging, any chores that they could use some help with. Visit them in the evening when the handyman is done and gone. 

When you have a better handle on the situation then have a sit down with them and ask to lease the land to you exclusively.  See if you can work out a financial arrangement.

• Like 1