do you use lighted nocks?

Robhuntandfish

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Mine (burtcoyote) don't always light up when I shoot. annoying.

with the xbow, they always work perfect.

Same thing happened to me the arrow shaft has to be perfectly flat or bend those little metal prongs towards the shaft so when you shoot it comes on. If the shaft isn't flat across the back then just that little pull against the nock releasing from the string turns it back off. I video taped my shot and looked in slo-mo what was happening and the nock was turning on then back off after it came off the string. I went to nocturnals after and haven't had any complaints other than some of the colors aren't as bright. The firenocks are by far the brightest and longest lasting that I have seen. I haven't personally used them but if money allows next season I will be buying a set.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rack Attack said:

I've tried almost every brand of these and the best I've found so far are the Igniter nock.  They have their own glue in inserts and are easy to turn off.  Others I've tried didn't always light, where a pain to turn off, or flew out when the arrow hit something hard like bone.

I'm using these right now because they were $1.99 when Gander was closing so I gave it a shot.  I like them so far.  I was using nockturnals which I liked but the only issue I had, if you want to call it that, was the foil around the battery getting chewed up from turning them off and then they didn't always want to go off and would flicker sometimes.

18 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Some of mine are on their 4th year and the batteries still work fine. 

gotta be careful with any of these believing the batteries are fine. I replace mine every year for one reason. I want them to burn as long as possible when trying to recover a deer. They are great to see the impact but their true shining (pun intended) is to glow and assist in a recovery. I like the firenocks  options in how they light and burn. I bought the ones that burn constant for 48 hours, then they switch to a blink every 5 seconds until the battery wears out. That function isn't available anymore. The current big game hunting set up is solid light for up to 21 days. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

gotta be careful with any of these believing the batteries are fine. I replace mine every year for one reason. I want them to burn as long as possible when trying to recover a deer. They are great to see the impact but their true shining (pun intended) is to glow and assist in a recovery. I like the firenocks  options in how they light and burn. I bought the ones that burn constant for 48 hours, then they switch to a blink every 5 seconds until the battery wears out. That function isn't available anymore. The current big game hunting set up is solid light for up to 21 days. 

Those are my practice ones. I have a set that I use for hunting that only get turned on when I check them before I go hunting. It's easy to swap them out. Anytime I break one or lose one and need to buy a new pack, the older ones get rotated to practice use and the new ones are for hunting. This reminds me, I haven't had to buy new ones in 2 years. I should pick some up. 

7 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

No special tool. Just a nail, knife tip, field tip or something like that is all you need to turn them off. I buy them from whoever has them for the lowest price. 

Thx. Hopefully it won't be a waste of $ like the Coyote ones (I think only 1 of the 8 I have I can get to work regularly).

• Like 1

The Burt Coyote ones were the first type I tried quite some time ago. They were junk. I built my own for a few years using thill bobber lights. They were way better than the lumenocks but they were a tad on the heavy side. I tried a few other brands and the Nockturnals turned out to be the best. I know the Firenocks are great, I just don't want to pay the cost of them. My arrows and broadheads are expensive enough to lose. 

I'm shooting these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/142443257259?rmvSB=true

I know some people have strong feelings buying these from China but I just can't justify $20 a knock.  I've purchased 3 packs of these and all have lit and performed as expected.  Regardless of what you are buying make sure you are getting the proper diameter for your arrow.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, covert said:

I'm using these right now because they were $1.99 when Gander was closing so I gave it a shot.  I like them so far.  I was using nockturnals which I liked but the only issue I had, if you want to call it that, was the foil around the battery getting chewed up from turning them off and then they didn't always want to go off and would flicker sometimes.

I'm testing these now myself. I did the same went all out of 4 for $1.99 each from Gander. If they work I will have wished I bought a bunch. They had hundreds which is why I was hesitent lol.

8 minutes ago, monahmat said:

I'm shooting these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/142443257259?rmvSB=true

I know some people have strong feelings buying these from China but I just can't justify $20 a knock.  I've purchased 3 packs of these and all have lit and performed as expected.  Regardless of what you are buying make sure you are getting the proper diameter for your arrow.

Knock off Nockturnals! I may have to give them a try at that price. I'll even take a brand new one and see how long it lights up for with how cheap they are. 

42 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Looks like Nockturnal X match my Victory RIP arrows. who do you guys buy them from? any special tool needed? what color is best, Red?

I have the clear plastic ones that glow red for my arrows. I don't feel like the other colors aren't as bright, only real way to tell is to buy them and put them out in a field and walk away from them until only on is seen.

• Like 1

i have used the green and red nockturnals and both have worked great.  Learned how to turn them off from a you tube video and its pretty easy.  But i like that they dont light up til shot.  I get them right at walmart for $20 for 3 .  Sure think its worth it to judge better how long to wait to look for the deer.  Cant always tell by the blood.  Last year shot a deer and it ran across the field just before dark with the light on and the farmer said "I saw the light" from inside and told me right where the deer went into the woods.   Huge help seeing that shot, sometimes its hard to tell where placement was.   

I won't hunt without a lighted nock anymore. There is no second guessing where that arrow hit when you can watch the light zip right through the deer.  Nockturnals for me,  I've used them for years and love them.  They are reliable and very bright and I have never had one fail at the shot. I have had a few dead in the package over the years.  Of all the brands I have tried, they seem to work best for me and are not overly expensive, I consider lighted nocks to be disposable, so longevity or replacing a battery doesn't matter to me, I'm not messing with them, as long as it works when I need it, I'm fine with it.  They are a bit of a pain to turn off, mostly because I can't see so well anymore, (also why i love the lighted nocks) but Gander had the Nockturnal  "tool" for a buck and it works fine.

I'm ordering some of those Chinese Nockturnals now...worth trying.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Don't be so stubborn and shoot a string loop with a release.

That would be cheating.  Same as using a X bow or X gun or whatever it is you guys carry when you pretend to bow hunt.  I'm kidding.  I started with a deerskin shooting glove and aluminum arrows.  Never found a reason to change.  I  can't get my mind around putting a trigger on a bow.  If I had time, and didn't need the meat so bad, I would switch to a recurve.

• Like 1

i just seen the new lumeknocks  so cool like a kids sparklers  and they turn off much easier than the old ones i think the guy @ my pro shop said they go for like $20 for three oh and they come with sleeves so they fit any arrow .that was the issue i had with them turning them off and using paper to make them fit my arrows. i had ones you twisted off they were the worst and the other ones with the switch on the side was a pain to try to turn off. oh and one set i bought and threw away [waste of money]would turn on if you just knocked the arrow they had a button in the back of the knock