do you use lighted nocks?

Robhuntandfish

A bit too pricey for my tastes at the moment. Once they become proven and get more time under their belts may be worthwhile checking out. Always like to up the chances for recovering a deer. An arrow doesn't matter to me; But recovering the deer and giving it the respect it deserves definitely does.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

A bit too pricey for my tastes at the moment. Once they become proven and get more time under their belts may be worthwhile checking out. Always like to up the chances for recovering a deer. An arrow doesn't matter to me; But recovering the deer and giving it the respect it deserves definitely does.

I can't see it workign well for recovery. Terrain, obstacles and just distance. Since I gave up on the fold back mechanicals in about 2003 I have only had two deer that didn't get a pass through and both of those snapped off the arrow in the first 10-20 yards. I'll have to see some field reviews on these

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I can't see it workign well for recovery. Terrain, obstacles and just distance. Since I gave up on the fold back mechanicals in about 2003 I have only had two deer that didn't get a pass through and both of those snapped off the arrow in the first 10-20 yards. I'll have to see some field reviews on these

I do like the idea of the sound though, A few times I have shot a deer and the arrow buried in high golden rod no way to see the light. Too bad they don't make beepers on the lighted nocks that have a 10 minute delay.

• Like 1

I got the nocturnals last year. I freaking love them, let's just get that out of the way.

I love shooting the 50 yard target with them. I like shooting them indoors. I like that I can even put my iphone on slo motion and shoot them and I can in fact see how much fishtailing the arrow is doing.

I only got once chance last year to shoot at a deer with the lighted, but it was really nice knowing exactly where I had hit him.

Since I am borderline obsessive, I weighed my nocks and then I took my regular plastic nocks and filled them with epoxy and BBs so that they would equal the weight of the lighted. Now when I practice I know my practice plastic nocks are the exact same weight as the lighted, since I don't use the lighted a ton for practice.

There is no drawback to using them besides the few dollars cost. Worst case they don't turn on (I had one fail of four during my various practice sessions). 

I'm pretty cheap in general but I really think I am sold on sticking with lighted nocks. $20-25 for a pack of 3 is a really small price to pay, and how much do most of us blow on hunting gear each year?

Edited by Core
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DanielT said:

Apparently there's a new one that is Bluetooth activated so you can use your smartphone to find the arrow is this getting to be too much?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Oh good heavens I thought you were joking. 

https://breadcrumbtech.com/bluetooth-nock/

I made a silly thread last year wondering if we could coat our arrows in radioactive dust and use a Geiger counter to track wounded deer.

Wouldn't it be fun to add up the costs of all of our equipment and gadgets and go-fasters, bows, arrows, releases, maintenance tools, licenses, this, that, and the other things, and now lighted nocks. Throw in an armful of guns and ammo and maybe some reloading equipment and a little gas for transportation, Yipes! Did I leave anything out? ..... Probably. Now distribute those costs across each pound of venison. Yup....It's a disease. Lighted nocks? ..... Why not? ....lol.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be fun to add up the costs of all of our equipment and gadgets and go-fasters, bows, arrows, releases, maintenance tools, licenses, this, that, and the other things, and now lighted nocks. Throw in an armful of guns and ammo and maybe some reloading equipment and a little gas for transportation, Yipes! Did I leave anything out? ..... Probably. Now distribute those costs across each pound of venison. Yup....It's a disease. Lighted nocks? ..... Why not? ....lol.
No....no it would not be fun....and then add fishing land equipment and for me trapping...i could buy a nice truck I bet

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

But if I just went shopping for beef at the store I would end up doing it with the wife!!! Lol.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Doc said:

lighted nocks $22.......set of arrows $120........ being in the stand an having a buck walk into bow range ........priceless! 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

lighted nocks $22.......set of arrows $120........ being in the stand an having a buck walk into bow range ........priceless! 

Yup, I remember when I used to do that with a $60 Ben Pearson recurve and a few bucks worth of Port Orford cedar arrows. And what was it when I bought my first compound (Bear Whitetail Hunter with the indestructible crow-bar epoxy limbs and 6 wheels)? I think that was somewhere around $80, and that was the bow that I killed the most deer with. By the way, I sold that bow for $100 about a decade after I bought it. Try doing that .... selling any bow for more than you paid for it ....Ha-ha-ha. Ah yes, but then I couldn't watch the pretty lights of the nocks go flying over the back of the deer now could I?.....lol.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2017 at 1:06 PM, The Jerkman said:

The technology is well proven. The biggest issue is that Bluetooth has a max range of @100 meters with clear line of sight. The Bluetooth connection between my truck and phone gets whacky at far less distance than that. I wouldn't count on it, but it might help if you lose the trail and you aren't too far from where the deer is laying, and the arrow is still in it. I think the best use would be to find that pesky arrow that you missed the target with and it got buried in the grass. I've had it happen a couple of times. Couldn't find them even with the nocks lit. 

• Like 3

On 9/13/2017 at 3:09 PM, Core said:

Oh good heavens I thought you were joking. 

https://breadcrumbtech.com/bluetooth-nock/

I made a silly thread last year wondering if we could coat our arrows in radioactive dust and use a Geiger counter to track wounded deer.

I am not a fan of lighted nocks myself but I also have been trying to think of nanotracking coated arrow...and I may buy atleast 1 of these bluetooth units...damn arrow hollars for ya!

18 hours ago, OtiscoPaul said:

I am not a fan of lighted nocks myself but I also have been trying to think of nanotracking coated arrow...and I may buy atleast 1 of these bluetooth units...damn arrow hollars for ya!

Unfortunately I see no value at all to those bluetooth nocks. Their range in field is about 150 yards in their faq and for whatever reason they also say they don't condone the use of their products to track game. There is a company that has come out with a $600 radio transmitter that afixes to your arrow and you get a receiving unit but it's hellaciously oversized. It uses a barb to hook onto the deer once you hit it.

Eventually somebody will come out with a transfer device and a nice range and it will make finding downed deer much better.

• Like 2

I've been using Nockturnals since the end of last season, haven't shot any mammals yet with them. But they work as advertised.

For whoever asked about added weight.. they weigh 20 grains, vs. 10-ish for a plastic nock. Other brands weigh a little more than that I believe. So a lighted nock will lower your FOC some. I measured my hunting arrow FOC with the Nocturnal and again with a plastic nock, and the difference was 2%.  Your mileage may vary.

I think it's enough of a difference to warrant using the lighted nocks for practice and sighting in as well as for hunting. Problem is, I've ruined at least 3 of them via Robin Hoods or close calls with BHs while doing so. Maybe I'll buy the cheap knock-offs for practice...

• Like 1